Grado Fan Club!
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #63,361 of 65,656
With the De luxe 3.0 Flat ❤️. Yours truly, Sandman..

Attachments

• 17018991124806873591361212309486.jpg
    17018991124806873591361212309486.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #63,362 of 65,656
Anyone have experience with or own the GW100x?

I was considering them when looking at BT headphones to wear around the house when I'm not sitting at my computer. Currently using Sony WF-1000 XM4s and I hate the sound even after EQ.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #63,363 of 65,656
🤷🏻‍♂️
5878E460-8A00-4764-98D5-CF017E43437D.jpeg

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #63,364 of 65,656
Anyone have experience with or own the GW100x?

I was considering them when looking at BT headphones to wear around the house when I'm not sitting at my computer. Currently using Sony WF-1000 XM4s and I hate the sound even after EQ.
I have had a pair for some time. They are rather nice with the mark of Grado upon them. Very comfortable also. You can also experiment if you can accommodate them hard wired. I have tried a reasonably priced upgrade cable and the already good sound of the phones was improved.

As an aside they sound quite nice for a standard phone in their price range so you could consider the BT capability a gift. When I am moving around they really show their worth. No drop outs in my place.

A worthy consideration in my opinion, fun to have one handy.

Attachments

• IMG_8126.jpeg
    IMG_8126.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #63,365 of 65,656
I have had a pair for some time. They are rather nice with the mark of Grado upon them. Very comfortable also. You can also experiment if you can accommodate them hard wired. I have tried a reasonably priced upgrade cable and the already good sound of the phones was improved.

As an aside they sound quite nice for a standard phone in their price range so you could consider the BT capability a gift. When I am moving around they really show their worth. No drop outs in my place.

A worthy consideration in my opinion, fun to have one handy.
Thanks for the impressions.

I would definitely try them wired if I pick up a pair, but they'd primarily be used to replace my Sony's when I want BT convenience but good sound. I doubt that even wired they would replace my RS1x or Hemps.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #63,366 of 65,656
Thanks for the impressions.

I would definitely try them wired if I pick up a pair, but they'd primarily be used to replace my Sony's when I want BT convenience but good sound. I doubt that even wired they would replace my RS1x or Hemps.
I agree, best as an add on in that situation, not a replacement for either of the above.

Less than $300, good BT, musical Grado sound.

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #63,367 of 65,656
I've played around with positioning a lot. Not a lot much I can do for comfort with the f pads. With the others I agree that going lower or higher can change the sound a bit but with the Velours I'm using, no matter what I do, I don't get as much clarity as I do with the f pads.
The fabric in Dekoni Velours is too thick for air to pass through it freely enough to retain Grado's famous clarity, and Grado's need as little seal as possible to sound how they sound (that's why they stick to bare foams). As you can see on this graph for GH2, high in the frequency range Velours aren't as loud as other pad options, that's why they lack clarity. You can try Nyczaj earpads (if you haven't already) if you're looking for a lot of comfort, but want to get more clarity than in Velours. They still alter the sound signature (as any non-stock pads do), but retain most of Grado's detail and brilliance in the highs, as they use thin, airy fabric. They're very good with glasses too.

Attachments

• GH2.png
    GH2.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #63,368 of 65,656
The fabric in Dekoni Velours is too thick for air to pass through it freely enough to retain Grado's famous clarity, and Grado's need as little seal as possible to sound how they sound (that's why they stick to bare foams). As you can see on this graph for GH2, high in the frequency range Velours aren't as loud as other pad options, that's why they lack clarity. You can try Nyczaj earpads (if you haven't already) if you're looking for a lot of comfort, but want to get more clarity than in Velours. They still alter the sound signature (as any non-stock pads do), but retain most of Grado's detail and brilliance in the highs, as they use thin, airy fabric. They're very good with glasses too.

My findings were that the Nyczaj pads sounded more or less like F pads. They had indeed good treble and bass but kinda put the middle range in cotton wool. In my humble ears.

(They're very comfy in any case!)

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #63,370 of 65,656

Thanks for this. As I said, I really liked the Velours with my Hemps but now with the RS1x. I hadn't really looked at the Nyczaj pads before. Maybe I'll grab a pair to test with.

My findings were that the Nyczaj pads sounded more or less like F pads. They had indeed good treble and bass but kinda put the middle range in cotton wool. In my humble ears.

(They're very comfy in any case!)

This sounds good to me. F pads are what I have been using on my RS1x for a while now. I prefer that sound over the stock l pads they came with, personally.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #63,373 of 65,656
I like this... a lot!

IMG_1979.jpeg
How would you describe the sound? Strengths? Weaknesses?

I almost bought this set a month or two ago and am wondering what I missed. :smile:

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #63,375 of 65,656
How would you describe the sound? Strengths? Weaknesses?

I almost bought this set a month or two ago and am wondering what I missed. :smile:
I´m not the best to review or compare gear. I´m used to the Valhalla2 and they are different indeed.

As soon as I listened to it for the first time, the resolving was immediately noticeable, so clear compared to the Valhalla who seems sort of veiled in comparison. It is definitely more neutral but still a little warm, especially in the lower range. The result for me is that it is very detailed but not tiring, there is some smoothness to it. The Valhalla is warmer for sure and therefore gives the impression of being less detailed, or maybe it just is. Also the lower range, that I also like is not as punchier as the Gilmore. With the tubes I have, I always loved the Schiit but in all honesty, now that I listened to the Gilmore, I feel the later is indeed the superior amp, without any doubts to me. This is a little surprising because I usually have some difficulty in understanding or even getting major differences between gear. But this was not the case. Maybe it just suits best my taste. I prefer usually a little warmer, can´t stand those neutral, sterile, resolving amps who are very tiring and boring to my ears. But this Gilmore is the marriage of resolving and clear with smoothness, a touch of warm and musicality. It is very dynamic but not tiring. It is a powerful amp and you can see in the picture where I keep the volume with my grado, and that is sort of medium-high.

I can never tell major differences between DAC´s, at least in similar price range and that seems to be the case between the MM2 and the LP RS06. The major advantage of the RS 06 is the output level via software. Setting it to the lower output, -3 with unbalanced cables, it gives you a lot more room to play with the Amp volume knob. I had it for sale but might be rethinking it. Not sure about a good DAC that has good synergy with the Gilmore and has a way to regulate the output.

I´m still getting used to it but very impressed. That lower punch is so good to my ears, especially with the Grado 325 Gold with the Nycjaz pads.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back