Grado Fan Club!
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #58,561 of 66,264
Word of advise from you experienced Grado lovers.

If I would like to boost the bass with those models that lack a little, or a lot :sweat_smile: (especially the "older" signature ones) what would you suggest.

I know Ifi is also known for those Bass boost options that don't seem bad at all (I understand that it doesn't bleed into mids, so I guess one could say it is well implemented), either in desktop or portable options (especially in amps with "Xbass" and in some dacs with "true bass"). I also understood that with some models the differences are more notorious than others. There are also other brands that offers these options but I can't recall any.

Does anyone tried these in a similar situation that I describe? Does it work?

I know there are more powerful analog units like the Schiit Loki+, for example, but I don't want to mess around with equalizers, I just want to boost the bass when needed. These are probably better, no doubts, but how knowledgeable one has to be? In this matter I have the same experience as a five years old!:ksc75smile:

Anyway, thank you.:thumbsup:

Get a Chord Mojo 2. It has an allegedly lossless band equalizer that allows me to even get a good or even very good bass out of my SR325e. And my RS2e works even better with it. +2 or +3 (out of -9 to +9) is enough to get me a real good bass.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #58,562 of 66,264
I have the iFi Micro iDSD and the Bass Boost function does work well. However, if you are happy with your current DAC/amp there may be other options (like an EQ software for your computer). What are using as a source?
Thank you for your reply. I'm building slowly my systems. For desktop I'm using a Rupert Neve Amplifier with a RU6 Dongle (while I don't decide for what DAC). For the Living room I still have nothing so, I can choose whatever I want. As portable I will use a DAP. So either as an amplifier or DAC I can still choose whatever I want. I can use a Mac EQ app on desktop but it won't work for the living room. At this point it will be either an Ifi that will give you a Bass Boost with the pressing of a button, or something like the Loki or even a Mojo2 (as suggested above) or something like a RME Adi 2 (which seems complicated). I'm just not sure which road to follow.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #58,563 of 66,264
So i got an SR325e, a RS2e, a PS500e and a WH1 (THEE WHITE).

Serious question: What am i missing in terms of Grado sound aka what other Grado headphone should i get to complete my arsenal? Or do you think with those 4 i am ok?

Not speaking about minor differences but about the different flavours Grado has to offer. I know i don't have an X but i guess the PS500e pretty much covers this area. And pretty sure the SR325e covers all of the prestige series.

So hit me with your ideas and opinions! :)

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #58,564 of 66,264
Get a Chord Mojo 2. It has an allegedly lossless band equalizer that allows me to even get a good or even very good bass out of my SR325e. And my RS2e works even better with it. +2 or +3 (out of -9 to +9) is enough to get me a real good bass.
Thank you. But is the Mojo 2 easy to work with? From what I have read, and without any Chord experience, I have to be honest it seemed so "cumbersome". A system that works with color codes doesn't seem ideal to someone like me. I much prefer a screen or something simpler. But I admit I'm curious about the Chord signature. It seems different of most and a Hate or love situation. Many Grado owners seem to love the sound of the cans with the Mojo 2 (and more expensive Chord models).

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #58,565 of 66,264
Thank you. But is the Mojo 2 easy to work with? From what I have read, and without any Chord experience, I have to be honest it seemed so "cumbersome". A system that works with color codes doesn't seem ideal to someone like me. I much prefer a screen or something simpler. But I admit I'm curious about the Chord signature. It seems different of most and a Hate or love situation. Many Grado owners seem to love the sound of the cans with the Mojo 2 (and more expensive Chord models).

It's pretty easy to operate. You got a "menu" color which you can rotate through on the left button and which decides what the other three buttons/colours do. You go to "blue" and press one more time and the two buttons in the middle are now defining your deep bass. The left-middle button is minus and the right-middle button is plus. Next one is "bass/mids" and then "mids/highs" and "high treble". With time you get very accustomed to those colours and buttons. Probably quicker to operate than a touchscreen.

Is it odd? Yes. But it sounds wonderful.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #58,566 of 66,264
Word of advise from you experienced Grado lovers.

If I would like to boost the bass with those models that lack a little, or a lot :sweat_smile: (especially the "older" signature ones) what would you suggest.

I know Ifi is also known for those Bass boost options that don't seem bad at all (I understand that it doesn't bleed into mids, so I guess one could say it is well implemented), either in desktop or portable options (especially in amps with "Xbass" and in some dacs with "true bass"). I also understood that with some models the differences are more notorious than others. There are also other brands that offers these options but I can't recall any.

Does anyone tried these in a similar situation that I describe? Does it work?

I know there are more powerful analog units like the Schiit Loki+, for example, but I don't want to mess around with equalizers, I just want to boost the bass when needed. These are probably better, no doubts, but how knowledgeable one has to be? In this matter I have the same experience as a five years old!:ksc75smile:

Anyway, thank you.:thumbsup:
I love bass boost on my iFi. It adds a bit of fun. I also have a Violectric V220 (that I am using right now with my Hemps w/Shipibo pads), that is warm and soft. Really fills the Grado sound out.
Both were expensive new, but I bought them used at pretty good price's. :relaxed:

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #58,567 of 66,264
I love bass boost on my iFi. It adds a bit of fun. I also have a Violectric V220 (that I am using right now with my Hemps w/Shipibo pads), that is warm and soft. Really fills the Grado sound out.
Both were expensive new, but I bought them used at pretty good price's. :relaxed:
Which Ifi model would that be? Cheers.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #58,568 of 66,264
Which Ifi model would that be? Cheers.
Well, it's a little over the top, but I grabbed a used iFi Pro iCAN. I wanted to have one amp that could drive anything, power wise. Plus I liked bass boost and 3D from a small iFi amp that I used to have.
It is a magical combo with my HiFiman HE6se V2's with lots of power to spare.

Every headphone I own, except the Cascades, enjoy a little shot of bass boost now and again. :smile:

The iFi is not the sweetest sounding amp I own. That honour would go to the Violectric amp, based on my usage. But the power and the toys make it a keeper for me.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #58,569 of 66,264
Well, it's a little over the top, but I grabbed a used iFi Pro iCAN. I wanted to have one amp that could drive anything, power wise. Plus I liked bass boost and 3D from a small iFi amp that I used to have.
It is a magical combo with my HiFiman HE6se V2's with lots of power to spare.

Every headphone I own, except the Cascades, enjoy a little shot of bass boost now and again. :smile:

The iFi is not the sweetest sounding amp I own. That honour would go to the Violectric amp, based on my usage. But the power and the toys make it a keeper for me.
Nice! The signature one or the previous model? The one you had before was the zen can? I know the flagship models will give you more room to play with bass and 3D but I wonder if the smaller and less expensive units will give the Grado RX1, or older i/e models, a nice little boost in the low-end, that could suit my taste a little better.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #58,570 of 66,264
Nice! The signature one or the previous model? The one you had before was the zen can? I know the flagship models will give you more room to play with bass and 3D but I wonder if the smaller and less expensive units will give the Grado RX1, or older i/e models, a nice little boost in the low-end, that could suit my taste a little better.

Cheers.
It is the OG model.
My original one was about 5 years ago. I believe it was a Micro iCAN SE. Powerful little sucker at 4 Watts.

I think the smaller more affordable units would still give you some enjoyable bass boost, or whatever each model calls it.

You won't get much, at least I don't, out of the 3D sound effects with Grado's.
But with certain headphones like HiFiman HE6se V2's or Monoprice M1570's it is kind of magical.

Of course we all hear differently. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #58,571 of 66,264

Cheers.
They do.
Just checked the RS1/2 and SR325 all ‘e‘, with iDSD BL and Zen Can. I nearly never touch bass features, but this just out of personal taste, not of a real opinion about implementation quality. It‘s no little boost they provide, you can hear it instantly, but it is not making a Sony headphone out of the Grados. And of course no classic Beats. It is in the middle of a range where most people would still say it just adds more bass -‘presence‘, more - immediacy.
An equalizer as in the Mojo 2 is providing more control, is more adjustable to personal taste.
Products of both companies are nearly never a bad buy, as long as one is aware, what he really likes.
Soundwise these are definitely different.
My personal suggestion, if there is no one near giving you a trial on that Sch..t, uhm, stuff, would be to start with the Zen Can.
And the balanced output really is superior to the single ended.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #58,572 of 66,264
Hello guys, yesterday I was so enjoy my RS1e with Sony WM1AM2 listen to black metal and viking music. The treble still peaked high and keep the energy and excitement of the Dark Medieval Times album, delivery cold and sharp guitar riffs. while bass still in control and in good amount….
Should this be de rigeur at Schiit Audio for testing?…🤔🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #58,573 of 66,264
Should this be de rigeur at Schiit Audio for testing?…🤔🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

only if/when drinking Viking Ale

18031.png

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #58,574 of 66,264

Easiest way is a pad change, especially to aftermarket pads. That has the most prominent effect but I feel this can come at the cost of some clarity. For the stock L pads, taping the sides adds some more bass, but I didn't like this too much because again, I feel it comes with some clarity loss. (I'm very picky about this.)

An alternative is to open up the headphone and vent the driver by carefully exposing the felt-covered holes in the driver. A ballpoint pen does the trick because it stops just short of hitting the membrane. That's called the vent mod. This will make the bass less accurate and more boomy without affecting clarity. A vent-modded SR225i with all 10 holes vented was what I used for a long while before I upgraded. Note that Grado partially vents the driver (2-4 holes) on their high-end models, but also controls the boominess by putting some goop on the back of the magnet itself.

So i got an SR325e, a RS2e, a PS500e and a WH1 (THEE WHITE). What am i missing in terms of Grado sound aka what other Grado headphone should i get to complete my arsenal? Or do you think with those 4 i am ok? Not speaking about minor differences but about the different flavours Grado has to offer.

Maybe look into acquiring an Alessandro x Grado headphone or the Pokémon Center headphone. However, I can't find any reviews of the Alessandro MS-Pro X and how it compares against the RS1x; there's only reviews of older models. Or maybe try an older plastic model to play around with, such as an SR80/SR80i to hear how the sound has evolved over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back