Grado Fan Club!
Jan 24, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #58,546 of 66,262
No cable-balking, no cable-talking in this post. Just the great synergy between Grado RS-1x and Woo WA6 (1st Gen) h/p/a. Whether from the tube rectification (AC—>DC) itself, or from the choice of tubes (Brimar CV1863, Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 6DE7s), or both: RS-1x bass is fully fleshed out, not lean, not light, not threadbare. The midrange is sculpted and ‘occupies space’, the treble is clear, extended, immediate but without etch, glare, ringing. In essence, it is as though the RS-1x frequency response plot has been pivoted from ‘upward sloping’ to ‘basically level’. And following individual musical strains within a larger whole is so easy; yet the whole is never subordinated. Mmm-mmm-mmm!3875518D-4894-4894-A125-08AAA5FDC76A.jpeg
Looks good too.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #58,547 of 66,262
Hemp's pads are very comfy to my ears, but seems that RS2x pads maybe are not so comfy

So, what pads affects the sound as little as possible? Dekoni velour has measurements that shows they might create sibilance?
Soundstage is important too, i don't want changes there either.
And Dekoni velour is 44mm thick, that must do something to sound also?

Keep the originals and get used to it? :beyersmile:

EDIT: Ooops, that measurement is GS1000, it uses G-pads? So, can't compare changes to RS2x (with L-pads)?

Screenshot 2023-01-24 070715.jpg
Some people on here and elsewhere like the flats on RS2X

Personally I find the L-pafs more comfortable than flats

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #58,549 of 66,262
Some people on here and elsewhere like the flats on RS2X

Personally I find the L-pafs more comfortable than flats
Flats(F-pads) ruins the RS2x wonderful sound, in my opinion. That fantastic imaging collapses and bass losts parts of it's articulation. Not good in my books.
I think i just have get use to L-pads. :)

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #58,550 of 66,262
Hemp's pads are very comfy to my ears, but seems that RS2x pads maybe are not so comfy

So, what pads affects the sound as little as possible? Dekoni velour has measurements that shows they might create sibilance?
Soundstage is important too, i don't want changes there either.
And Dekoni velour is 44mm thick, that must do something to sound also?

Keep the originals and get used to it? :beyersmile:

EDIT: Ooops, that measurement is GS1000, it uses G-pads? So, can't compare changes to RS2x (with L-pads)?

Screenshot 2023-01-24 070715.jpg
The L-pads are way more comfy than the F-pads. That is unless you like your ears to be squeezed and touched as much as possible :D

The L-pads can't really be replaced without changing the sound. The Geekria donuts are probably the closest you can get to a similar sound but they eat away some of the treble richness.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #58,551 of 66,262
The L-pads are way more comfy than the F-pads. That is unless you like your ears to be squeezed and touched as much as possible :D

The L-pads can't really be replaced without changing the sound. The Geekria donuts are probably the closest you can get to a similar sound but they eat away some of the treble richness.
So, i will stick with the L-pads then. :)
I truly like RS2x sound. More i listen them, more i like the sound.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #58,552 of 66,262
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #58,554 of 66,262
RS2x is very exceptional headphone. It comes very clear with this(among other music).
I’m just totally amazed. Again. And again.

1C23399E-D0FE-4601-82E6-AD76B88B90C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #58,555 of 66,262
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #58,556 of 66,262
IMG_3790.jpeg
I owned a lot of headphones. Great ones like HD800s, Stellias,... but those are the best I ever had.

They came back today from the cable mod. Done in Germany. Thank you Rotmanns Cables.

Also I added the Beautiful Audio ear pads. The sound out of this thing is phenomenal.

Have a nice day friends!
There is also Rotmanns Cables.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #58,557 of 66,262
I've listened to nothing but sr80is for 2 years, then upgraditis kicked in and I purchased the DT880s and HD650s. Neither of them could compare to my lowly sr80i IMO.
In fairness, as high-impedance headphones, the DT880 (600 ohm) / HD650 (300 ohm) thrive on high output impedance OTL tube headphone amplifiers.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #58,558 of 66,262
Word of advise from you experienced Grado lovers.

If I would like to boost the bass with those models that lack a little, or a lot :sweat_smile: (especially the "older" signature ones) what would you suggest.

I know Ifi is also known for those Bass boost options that don't seem bad at all (I understand that it doesn't bleed into mids, so I guess one could say it is well implemented), either in desktop or portable options (especially in amps with "Xbass" and in some dacs with "true bass"). I also understood that with some models the differences are more notorious than others. There are also other brands that offers these options but I can't recall any.

Does anyone tried these in a similar situation that I describe? Does it work?

I know there are more powerful analog units like the Schiit Loki+, for example, but I don't want to mess around with equalizers, I just want to boost the bass when needed. These are probably better, no doubts, but how knowledgeable one has to be? In this matter I have the same experience as a five years old!:ksc75smile:

Anyway, thank you.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #58,559 of 66,262
Word of advise from you experienced Grado lovers.

If I would like to boost the bass with those models that lack a little, or a lot :sweat_smile: (especially the "older" signature ones) what would you suggest.

I know Ifi is also known for those Bass boost options that don't seem bad at all (I understand that it doesn't bleed into mids, so I guess one could say it is well implemented), either in desktop or portable options (especially in amps with "Xbass" and in some dacs with "true bass"). I also understood that with some models the differences are more notorious than others. There are also other brands that offers these options but I can't recall any.

Does anyone tried these in a similar situation that I describe? Does it work?

I know there are more powerful analog units like the Schiit Loki+, for example, but I don't want to mess around with equalizers, I just want to boost the bass when needed. These are probably better, no doubts, but how knowledgeable one has to be? In this matter I have the same experience as a five years old!:ksc75smile:

Anyway, thank you.:thumbsup:
I have the iFi Micro iDSD and the Bass Boost function does work well. However, if you are happy with your current DAC/amp there may be other options (like an EQ software for your computer). What are using as a source?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #58,560 of 66,262
Hello guys, yesterday I was so enjoy my RS1e with Sony WM1AM2 listen to black metal and viking music. The treble still peaked high and keep the energy and excitement of the Dark Medieval Times album, delivery cold and sharp guitar riffs. while bass still in control and in good amount. Go to Wardruna and Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik, again delivery exactly the amount of bass that this music need, powerful punch from the drums and I can feel the rumble.
I use Sunrise or Ember for desktop amp, they are pretty bright and focus on details and mid, good for Hemp and Prestige Series. But for higher end Series like Reference and Statement, especially RS1, they are quite bright in mid and high. I need help to find the desktop amp with a good bass, and easy on mid to balance out the Reference and Statement series, I prefer something similar to my WM1AM2 sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back