Grado Fan Club!
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #55,591 of 65,716
It's always going to be hard work with the other half ..... Example, last night I had a pair of closed backs on as she was watching TV and asked me a few times what I was listening too, so I paused and told her šŸ˜¤, so I thought right I'll put the grados on and low so she wasn't too disturbed and wouldn't need to ask what I was listening too and all I got was " you do know I can hear that " can't win šŸ¤£
Lol same for me . She moaned a bit when I'm wearing one of my eight grado. Tv on on in bed . So I did some research on closed back apart from my little iems. And large bluetooth anker q30. I wanted a normal pair of closed back full size. So ended up with a new sennheiser hd569. About Ā£100. And a mint second hand Meze90 classic ....both good enough. But now I can vaguely hear in the background her chatting to me lol .

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #55,593 of 65,716
Very nice work! I don't think I've seen anyone else open up the PS500e. Which 3.5mm jack did you use?
Nothing fancy, decent snap fit and used a lot over the years never had any issues.
These minus the screw washer on the top.
Screenshot_20220810-184853_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Aug 10, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #55,594 of 65,716
GS3000X looks amazing! Very tempted to get one. Interesting they've combined the cocobolo with metal. If it combines the best of the GS3000e with the PS2000e it would definitely be a winner.

This is a huge minus for me. The GS3000e weight was just right at 330g. About the same as the Sennheiser HD800S which is also praised for its light weight. I chose the GS3000e over the PS2000e for that reason. The hybrid metal cup does two things: makes it heavier, and is a slick way for Grado to use less cocobolo in the cup. The price also increased from $1795 USD to $1995 USD.

I see that there isn't a GS2000x. The GS2000e was a terrible headphone, and this is probably Grado's admission that they screwed up with that one. Lastly, there's the GS1000x, which has become a hybrid of two woods: mahogany and ipĆŖ. I hope that goes well better than the GS2000e, which was mahogany/maple.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #55,597 of 65,716
I wish someone can compare new GS3000x to ZMF Atrium.
Altough I heard the Atrium only at dealer I lived together with the Atticus, the VeritƩ Open and the VeritƩ Closed. There is really no need for such comparsion, ZMF has it's house sound and Grado too and they are world apart. Many-many love ZMF, for me all of them were slow and muffled (compared to a Grado). Plus all of them were warm but all of them had some problem with the highs. And yes, I had the best amplifiers in the world (literally) so it's not that. Grado's have they own quirks too, but I wastly prefer them and the RS1-x (with the flats) seems to be really perfect.

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #55,598 of 65,716
Grado is one of the most 'open' openback headphones.

I can agree with carboncopy the ZMF openbacks are sounding 'less open' because of the weight and big pads clamping your ears, 'slow' is a good word for it.

Looking forward to hear the Grado GS3000X, hopefully it appears soon in the store near me

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #55,600 of 65,716
I had my grado on and my ex said your not listening to me are you! .....that's a funny way to start a conversation....
My life on a daily basis...

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #55,601 of 65,716
Altough I heard the Atrium only at dealer I lived together with the Atticus, the VeritƩ Open and the VeritƩ Closed. There is really no need for such comparsion, ZMF has it's house sound and Grado too and they are world apart. Many-many love ZMF, for me all of them were slow and muffled (compared to a Grado). Plus all of them were warm but all of them had some problem with the highs. And yes, I had the best amplifiers in the world (literally) so it's not that. Grado's have they own quirks too, but I wastly prefer them and the RS1-x (with the flats) seems to be really perfect.
All ZMFs to me sound too dark. Atrium was the least dark, but they were great at everything else. I've never heard any top Grados to compare.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #55,602 of 65,716
Its hard to think of two headphones more different than ZMF and Grado. Huge, ornate, 300ohm beasts with a warm bassy sound vs a lightweight low power on ear.

But even more importantly, only one of them comes with a nice re-attachable cable.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #55,603 of 65,716
I had my grado on and my ex said your not listening to me are you! .....that's a funny way to start a conversation....
ā€¢ That reminds me of a story / vignette involving the golf great Ben Hogan.
ā€¢ At a charity pro-am event in the Fort Worth area, a lady exclaimed to Ben Hogan: ā€œmy husband bet me $100 that you wouldnā€™t say five words to me all day.ā€
ā€¢ The reply: ā€œsorry lady, you loseā€.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #55,604 of 65,716
I wish someone can compare new GS3000x to ZMF Atrium.
Not just that. I would love to hear several reviewers opinions about a comparison of other TOTL phones. GS3000X / Audezeā€˜s LCD5, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2, Hifiman HE1000v2,ā€¦ ok, Susvara, ā€¦ everything open back and non-electrostatic.
(Nearly eliminates the usage of the same amp for most reviewers. Would be boring to have them all talking about Headamp 3, 5 or Audiovalves 2 Amps. OK, there are few more, but not to many. Paltauf has another one.)

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #55,605 of 65,716
This is a huge minus for me. The GS3000e weight was just right at 330g. About the same as the Sennheiser HD800S which is also praised for its light weight. I chose the GS3000e over the PS2000e for that reason. The hybrid metal cup does two things: makes it heavier, and is a slick way for Grado to use less cocobolo in the cup. The price also increased from $1795 USD to $1995 USD.
I always substract the cable, just for the idea of not carrying its weight with the neck.
The e series 8-core is 76 grams (on kitchen scales while damaged GH2 repair), 12-core 83 (GS1000e modding).
RS1-X (still donā€˜t like the hyphenā€¦) 190 grams
Hemp 200 grams
GS3000e 258 grams (Add its 8-core: 334 grams)
PS2000e 460 grams (Yep! Quite usable for selfdefense)
I need to say Iā€˜m quite insensitive to a headphones weight. Can wear Audezes or even the HEDD phone all night long. (3 Kids. Donā€˜t try it anymore while ā€¦daylight.)
Maybe Iā€˜m nearer to Neanderthal man. (In behavior the wife sometimes might agreeā€¦)
Of course comfort is essential for headphone listening. Even if one is a 6.6 and 250 lbs Wrestling Proā€¦ being able to bare it doesnā€™t mean one likes it.
And the PS2000e as Audezes and the likes really arenā€˜t designed for females.
For some uncomfortable is the heat accumulation even under open back cups. Not a big thing with Grados in my opinion. To others the itch from foam/textile pads. The sweatiness with leather pads. Driving me nuts is the ear scratching at the diffusers mesh with L-cushion. I mostly prefer L- over F-pads soundwise. A depth of 15 mm is to little to average ears. I do have comparatively small ones. 20 mm is the absolute minimum. 2.2 is good.
Another point is a 6 feet cable. Not portable, not stationaryā€¦
(French reviewers sometimes talk about 2.5m cables. Do they have different versions?)
Back to original topic:
I donā€˜t think we have to worry about 500 grams GS3000Xs. Cocobolo is 1.1 grams/cubic centimeter material, aluminium about 2.7. But here weā€˜re talking about a relatively slim inner sleeve of aluminum, not the bigger outer housing. So I guess/hope including cable, which now is 12-core they will be about 360 grams. Steel would be another thing. Itā€™s 7.8.
I see that there isn't a GS2000x. The GS2000e was a terrible headphone, and this is probably Grado's admission that they screwed up with that one. Lastly, there's the GS1000x, which has become a hybrid of two woods: mahogany and ipĆŖ. I hope that goes well better than the GS2000e, which was mahogany/maple.
IpƩ or Lapacho is a wood nearly as dense as Cocobolo, 1 gram/ cubic cm, but has a different structure. Mahogany is .6, Maple .53.
Ignoring the different driver (lighter coil, stronger magnets, lighter diaphragm), Grado this time put the much harder wood to the driver. Compared to PS2000e and GS2000e itā€™s the other way ā€˜round.
I am curious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back