Grado Fan Club!
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #55,576 of 65,714
482B1288-EE3D-4C91-B95A-FB810814CB8D.png

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #55,577 of 65,714
52mm driver with a hybrid metal chamber....

82736004-B8A5-48E3-AB99-708C5ADFAA11.png

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #55,580 of 65,714
Still the same cable that is not detachable.
This is 2022 not 1980.

On the picture, the cable seems to be very different from my GS3000e though it's still not detachable.
I wonder if the 52mm driver allows to go to under 100hz now within 3db.. maybe 80hz or even 70hz ? .. probably there is still a long way to go for Grado to reach 20Hz (in 2032 ?).

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #55,581 of 65,714
The cable appears to be covered in the same nylon tech flex that the HF3 and Hemp use.
Really stiff until you work it in.
These are are $2000 headphone with out the choice of different cables.
No 4.4mm option only 4pin xlr for balanced.
I can’t understand why Grado keep doing the same thing.
I mean surely they must realise some people use headphones like these on portable players.
With a attached cable like that your tied to a desktop rig.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #55,583 of 65,714
The cable appears to be covered in the same nylon tech flex that the HF3 and Hemp use.
Really stiff until you work it in.
These are are $2000 headphone with out the choice of different cables.
No 4.4mm option only 4pin xlr for balanced.
I can’t understand why Grado keep doing the same thing.
I mean surely they must realise some people use headphones like these on portable players.
With a attached cable like that your tied to a desktop rig.

Despite all the drawbacks, I kind of understand why they do this. It's more a design and philosophy choice. Their design are so iconic that they want to keep it consistent regarding how it looks. And even though they're a hiend audio company, they tend to focus on the music and avoid falling into the rabbit hole of endlessly tweaking and changing things, on a philosophical aspect. It's what makes them what they are. Again, despite all the drawbacks.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #55,584 of 65,714
Grado glue strike's again !
Don't know exactly what glue they used but it doesn't melt really, goes a bit soft and while it's warm you can peel it off around the join between the wood and metal cup, had to then carefully use a hooked blade to lift out the stuff between the wood and inside lip of metal cup. Still wouldn't pull apart till I realised they have glued the mesh to the wood as well 😤, so had to slightly warm the cup end with the mesh and eventually it all pushed out, the driver cup on the 325 goes down half way where as the wood goes all the way to the bottom and sits on the mesh. Took me a while to get the glue off the wood and the inside of the metal cup. Left the mesh soaking in ipa overnight to break up the glue ( might spray the mesh black ) one good thing is the 3.5 panel mounts fit in the woods nice and snug so all that will need is a bit of epoxy glue on the threads to bond to the inside of the hole and then some inside the woods to anchor the back in place and add a touch of stain to cover the areas I've scraped off the thicker glue, not that you'll see them but if a jobs worth doing .... The only part I need to dremel is a slightly larger hole on the metal cup so the mini jack with go through ( probably 1mm, 2mm at the most ). Didn't bother changing the wires from the driver just cut them back and soldered them to tip + and ring/ sleeve - so far so good will finish off tomorrow as I actually had to do some paid work in the afternoon ( totally inconsiderate of my employer)
I was on a roll !
20220810_111954.jpg20220810_125938.jpg20220810_154338.jpg

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #55,586 of 65,714
👍👍👍
Good job.
Right now get back home and say bye too the wife and kids.
Your off to Grado for ever to show them how to do it.
Excellent.
Said bye to the kids a few years ago after they finished Uni, the wife is going to be a bit more tricky 🤣

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #55,588 of 65,714
It's always going to be hard work with the other half ..... Example, last night I had a pair of closed backs on as she was watching TV and asked me a few times what I was listening too, so I paused and told her 😤, so I thought right I'll put the grados on and low so she wasn't too disturbed and wouldn't need to ask what I was listening too and all I got was " you do know I can hear that " can't win 🤣

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #55,589 of 65,714
It's always going to be hard work with the other half ..... Example, last night I had a pair of closed backs on as she was watching TV and asked me a few times what I was listening too, so I paused and told her 😤, so I thought right I'll put the grados on and low so she wasn't too disturbed and wouldn't need to ask what I was listening too and all I got was " you do know I can hear that " can't win 🤣
There again it can get worse, if I have the grados on and its a tune she likes, she starts to sing 🤬

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #55,590 of 65,714
Despite all the drawbacks, I kind of understand why they do this. It's more a design and philosophy choice. Their design are so iconic that they want to keep it consistent regarding how it looks. And even though they're a hiend audio company, they tend to focus on the music and avoid falling into the rabbit hole of endlessly tweaking and changing things, on a philosophical aspect. It's what makes them what they are. Again, despite all the drawbacks.
At least offer a choice of fixed or detachable, iconic or not I'll guarantee they'll sell more detachable ones. They could even bring out a range of cables, more money for the business. The nylon mesh braid is totally unnecessary and offers little protection If that's what it's for and just makes a thick cable even thicker.
Oh and while their sorting that go easy on the glue 🤣 it's all profit at the end of the day!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back