Grado Fan Club!
Jul 3, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #54,481 of 65,633
And don't forget Little Dot. I liked my LD MKIII and really like my LD MK9. If you like a tubey sound...
Good point!!! You & JazzVinyl pique my curiosity about LD-IX…😏

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #54,482 of 65,633
Keep in mind the Lyr 3 is a hybrid amp. So it does add tube goodness, but at a (relatively) small amount (compared to solid state amp).
@UntilThen posted yesterday great impressions using his GH1 with a "real" old-school tube amps. See here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eric-mcchanson-headphone-amp.718350/post-17033399

Good info. Thanks.

Will still be a while before I buy a new amp. But I do want a tube amp just to have as an option from time to time. I think it'd be beneficial to have a tube amp and a solid state amp to switch between as needed.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #54,483 of 65,633
Good point!!! You & JazzVinyl pique my curiosity about LD-IX…😏
And very affordable in the world of nice tube amps. And the first tube or hybrid amp that I ever owned that Really responds to tube rolling.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #54,484 of 65,633
Good info. Thanks.

Will still be a while before I buy a new amp. But I do want a tube amp just to have as an option from time to time. I think it'd be beneficial to have a tube amp and a solid state amp to switch between as needed.
Agreed! I have too many amps, and I think it is awesome to get different flavors as-needed (or as-wanted) :wink:

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #54,485 of 65,633
To the person who is enjoying his HE6se and Grado - I found my listening notes from 2019 on HE6se and this was what I wrote about HE6se: LCD + Grado with slightly bigger and extended soundstage.

Looks like we both heard the same thing :beerchug:

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #54,486 of 65,633
Agreed! I have too many amps, and I think it is awesome to get different flavors as-needed (or as-wanted) :wink:
The optimum number of h/p/a = N+1 !!!

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #54,487 of 65,633
Hello @majo123 and friends. Fews days with my new 80x here. Already have 80e and 325x.

Before it arrived I keep thinking what a challenge to upgrade such a classic and successful headphone. I thought it could really go wrong.

I don`t know how much burn in it needs, but first impression was: still hugely entertaining and very much classic Grado sound, not the darker as I expected.

It`s an upgrade in every way, they absolutely nailed it. Very sparkly, clean, clear, layered and more definition. It shows so much, maybe more than the 325x, perhaps. But will not call it analytical because has so much fun. And it`s the first time I understand the word “insightful” for a sound. The bass has more punch and definition, it’s suttle, not a inch of a fat boomy bass. Feeling that I can listen for hours without the imperfections starting to draw attention, as happened in the 80e. It’s a insane value por newcomers and can still entertain old fans.

It`s so nice that an high end audio company makes available this sound quality and signature for such a low price. That's definitely one of the reasons I love Grado. Their low profi approach is so welcome in a hobby where people tend to get very problematic and crazy, I definitely included.

One thing I didn't expect at all: that I would like the cable! It feels 3 time thinner than the 325x. I`m super ok with it. I prefer it than the 80e. Overall feels more premium.

I still love the 80e, I still prefer it for low-fi and bad recordings, internet radios. It has”dirt" that binds these songs better. But the 80x scalate immensely in comparison.

Having so much fun with it!

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #54,488 of 65,633
Hello @majo123 and friends. Fews days with my new 80x here. Already have 80e and 325x.

Before it arrived I keep thinking what a challenge to upgrade such a classic and successful headphone. I thought it could really go wrong.

I don`t know how much burn in it needs, but first impression was: still hugely entertaining and very much classic Grado sound, not the darker as I expected.

It`s an upgrade in every way, they absolutely nailed it. Very sparkly, clean, clear, layered and more definition. It shows so much, maybe more than the 325x, perhaps. But will not call it analytical because has so much fun. And it`s the first time I understand the word “insightful” for a sound. The bass has more punch and definition, it’s suttle, not a inch of a fat boomy bass. Feeling that I can listen for hours without the imperfections starting to draw attention, as happened in the 80e. It’s a insane value por newcomers and can still entertain old fans.

It`s so nice that an high end audio company makes available this sound quality and signature for such a low price. That's definitely one of the reasons I love Grado. Their low profi approach is so welcome in a hobby where people tend to get very problematic and crazy, I definitely included.

One thing I didn't expect at all: that I would like the cable! It feels 3 time thinner than the 325x. I`m super ok with it. I prefer it than the 80e. Overall feels more premium.

I still love the 80e, I still prefer it for low-fi and bad recordings, internet radios. It has”dirt" that binds these songs better. But the 80x scalate immensely in comparison.

Having so much fun with it!
It is pretty amazing in my book! Love my little 80x so comfortable and light and the sound as you say punches way above its price.. not heard the 80e though so can't compare .. cable is definitely better than 325x

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #54,489 of 65,633
The optimum number of h/p/a = N+1 !!!
Now you tell me? After I commissioned no less than 3 custom amps?! :laughing:
(in my defense, 1 of them is not due to be built until early 2023...)

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #54,490 of 65,633
Now you tell me? After I commissioned no less than 3 custom amps?! :laughing:
(in my defense, 1 of them is not due to be built until early 2023...)
For the time being, it is the “+1”. Come April 2023, something else is …🤪😄🤔😥🤬

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #54,491 of 65,633
Keep in mind the Lyr 3 is a hybrid amp. So it does add tube goodness, but at a (relatively) small amount (compared to solid state amp).
@UntilThen posted yesterday great impressions using his GH1 with a "real" old-school tube amps. See here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eric-mcchanson-headphone-amp.718350/post-17033399

Thanks Zachi for the link. Grado GH1 sounds fabulous with the Super Micro 6S45P amp. The sweetness will melt your ears. Liquid wetness, superb clarity and air with a bass that does not over power. It's a recipe for audio addiction with Grado lovers.

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #54,492 of 65,633
Thanks Zachi for the link. Grado GH1 sounds fabulous with the Super Micro 6S45P amp. The sweetness will melt your ears. Liquid wetness, superb clarity and air with a bass that does not over power. It's a recipe for audio addiction with Grado lovers.
…versus illiquid wetness…🤔?

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #54,493 of 65,633
So there are two ver of 1 gen driver?
90’s to 2003?
i from 2003, improved gen 1 driver?
New gen 2 driver in 07/08?called is?
Gen 3 in 2014 (e) ?
And the X in 21…
( talking about prestige series/325)
Hi. Don't forget the 50th edition gold Sr325i. I have this one mint condition but not selling. Lol. Mine for some reason came with a slimmer leather headband. Thin cable, terminated with large 6,3mm end.

Whoops looks like I have commented on a older post. Lol .....When I clicked onto headfi it went to a older page ....no worries ........Did you collect all the 325 versions by the way .

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #54,494 of 65,633
Hi. Don't forget the 50th edition gold Sr325i. I have this one mint condition but not selling. Lol. Mine for some reason came with a slimmer leather headband. Thin cable, terminated with large 6,3mm end.

Whoops looks like I have commented on a older post. Lol .....When I clicked onto headfi it went to a older page ....no worries ........Did you collect all the 325 versions by the way .
Nope. Only own my 325gold :wink:
Isn’t the 325gold same as gen 1 325i?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #54,495 of 65,633

Actually your post has given me an opening for mine. I have the pink driver version of the SR325.

When my husband @HungryPanda died from Covid April 2020, he left behind a massive collection of headphones, iems, earbuds, daps, etc. For 2 years I have been unable to deal with it and the house has looked like hoarders live here. My gear list is almost as large as his because apparently the Headfi addiction is contagious.

Anyway, finally beginning to enjoy music again...although some days it wrecks me. I have been deciding what will stay and what will go,

He had 6 Grados. I have kept three , SR80e, SR325, and GH1.

We each had a SR325e although I did not know there were two here until I started sorting things. He had given me his 325e when he got the 325....actually I refused to give it back after he let me listen. I said he didn't need two 325s lol. Well if I had known he would just buy another without telling me, I would have given it back! I have other headphones. Both 325e have new homes now.

I always knew his 325 was the pink driver version but never knew what a pink driver looked like. Yesterday I got curious and took the pads off...you guys have NO idea how difficult it was for me to put the fresh pair on afterwards. I wanted to try one of the others that I found in the spares box because the ones that were on it were itchy.

So.... Pink drivers. Not sure what I was expecting...maybe something more dramatic?

20220703_102015.jpg

20220703_102445.jpg

and with the pads back on...next to its little brother

20220704_120631.jpg

I bought those yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads for the SR80e because I saw them being recommended in this thread. Love the comfort and I like how they look with the 80e. My bumblebee set. They sound great. Really I should say my music sounds great.

Both have the narrow headband that @funkymartyn mentioned having on his gold SR325i. That band kept shifting on my hair so I added this zippered lycra cover to both. It makes the headphones more comfortable for me. They are wider than the band itself....yet still tricky to zip on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NXL3FHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So....when was this SR325 pink driver version made? Tom bought it used a few years ago. He said that listening to his music with them was bliss. Is it older or newer than the gold 325i? What is the 325 timeline?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back