Grado Fan Club!
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #54,511 of 65,552
Actually your post has given me an opening for mine. I have the pink driver version of the SR325.

When my husband @HungryPanda died from Covid April 2020, he left behind a massive collection of headphones, iems, earbuds, daps, etc. For 2 years I have been unable to deal with it and the house has looked like hoarders live here. My gear list is almost as large as his because apparently the Headfi addiction is contagious.

Anyway, finally beginning to enjoy music again...although some days it wrecks me. I have been deciding what will stay and what will go,

He had 6 Grados. I have kept three , SR80, SR325, and GH1.

We each had a SR325e although I did not know there were two here until I started sorting things. He had given me his 325e when he got the 325....actually I refused to give it back after he let me listen. I said he didn't need two 325s lol. Well if I had known he would just buy another without telling me, I would have given it back! I have other headphones. Both 325e have new homes now.

I always knew his 325 was the pink driver version but never knew what a pink driver looked like. Yesterday I got curious and took the pads off...you guys have NO idea how difficult it was for me to put the fresh pair on afterwards. I wanted to try one of the others that I found in the spares box because the ones that were on it were itchy.

So.... Pink drivers. Not sure what I was expecting...maybe something more dramatic?

20220703_102015.jpg

20220703_102445.jpg

and with the pads back on...next to its little brother

20220704_120631.jpg

I bought those yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads for the SR80e because I saw them being recommended in this thread. Love the comfort and I like how they look with the 80e. My bumblebee set. They sound great. Really I should say my music sounds great.

Both have the narrow headband that martyn mentioned having on his gold SR325i. That band kept shifting on my hair so I added this zippered lycra cover to both. It makes the headphones more comfortable for me. They are wider than the band itself....yet still tricky to zip on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NXL3FHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So....when was this SR325 pink driver version made? Tom bought it used a few years ago. He said that listening to his music with them was bliss. Is it older or newer than the gold 325i? What is the 325 timeline?
Thanks for your listening impressions!

Great to have you here, sorry for your loss 🙏

Jul 4, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #54,512 of 65,552
Totally agree, been hemp but not seen any rs2x ... well not that I know of anyway
I wasn't planning on buying yet anyway, and all along I debated between the two as I have heard good things about rs2x as well .
Anyway like you said hopefully not a widespread issue

Yeah and they've been out since late last year. So I'd imagine any serious issues would have been discovered and/or resolved by now. Plus Grado's warranty is pretty good from what I hear (but I've never had to use it).

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #54,513 of 65,552
I think I did see that but during which years was the pink driver version made? Also that does not show the 325e or 325x.
I haven't found any info beyond the timeline. I'm curious if the gold set spilled into the i series years. I don't recall seeing 'i' on grill badges. Were the i series black and/or silver?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #54,514 of 65,552
I haven't found any info beyond the timeline. I'm curious if the gold set spilled into the i series years. I don't recall seeing 'i' on grill badges. Were the i series black and/or silver?

I did find more information on an old thread with a lot of picture of various models.... especially on the first couple of pages.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/full-grado-labs-history.616052/

It is possible that this is all also buried somewhere in this thread.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #54,516 of 65,552
Oh dear third pair with wood or splitting issues , I was/am seriously considering these in the future but I too may try the rs2x instead when I finally make that decision.... some way off yet though before I decide.
I said it when they were released, the whole sandwiching of different woods together just does not logically lend well for time. Different kinds of wood live differently given varying environmental conditions.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #54,517 of 65,552
I said it when they were released, the whole sandwiching of different woods together just does not logically lend well for time. Different kinds of wood live differently given varying environmental conditions.
If I buy any I will definitely coat mine in a Matt lacquer this will not only protect against moisture but should help by bonding it a bit on the outer shell, thought about doing my hemp before.

Jul 4, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #54,518 of 65,552
I did find more information on an old thread with a lot of picture of various models.... especially on the first couple of pages.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/full-grado-labs-history.616052/

It is possible that this is all also buried somewhere in this thread
Actually your post has given me an opening for mine. I have the pink driver version of the SR325.

When my husband @HungryPanda died from Covid April 2020, he left behind a massive collection of headphones, iems, earbuds, daps, etc. For 2 years I have been unable to deal with it and the house has looked like hoarders live here. My gear list is almost as large as his because apparently the Headfi addiction is contagious.

Anyway, finally beginning to enjoy music again...although some days it wrecks me. I have been deciding what will stay and what will go,

He had 6 Grados. I have kept three , SR80e, SR325, and GH1.

We each had a SR325e although I did not know there were two here until I started sorting things. He had given me his 325e when he got the 325....actually I refused to give it back after he let me listen. I said he didn't need two 325s lol. Well if I had known he would just buy another without telling me, I would have given it back! I have other headphones. Both 325e have new homes now.

I always knew his 325 was the pink driver version but never knew what a pink driver looked like. Yesterday I got curious and took the pads off...you guys have NO idea how difficult it was for me to put the fresh pair on afterwards. I wanted to try one of the others that I found in the spares box because the ones that were on it were itchy.

So.... Pink drivers. Not sure what I was expecting...maybe something more dramatic?

20220703_102015.jpg

20220703_102445.jpg

and with the pads back on...next to its little brother

20220704_120631.jpg

I bought those yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads for the SR80e because I saw them being recommended in this thread. Love the comfort and I like how they look with the 80e. My bumblebee set. They sound great. Really I should say my music sounds great.

Both have the narrow headband that martyn mentioned having on his gold SR325i. That band kept shifting on my hair so I added this zippered lycra cover to both. It makes the headphones more comfortable for me. They are wider than the band itself....yet still tricky to zip on

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NXL3FHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So....when was this SR325 pink driver version made? Tom bought it used a few years ago. He said that listening to his music with them was bliss. Is it older or newer than the gold 325i? What is the 325 timeline?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grado-labs-sr325-black-vintage.12049/reviews

The sr325 seems fairly rare.

Jul 4, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #54,519 of 65,552
I have to say this is somewhat scary... at least something of the Hemps i have seen here took a year or two to fall apart. I think being bonded together might be what helps dampen the sound and make it so forgiving.

The reviews of the RS1x are very intriguing, but I went for an OG GS1000 because it was solid wood.

I hope the new GS headphones use solid wood.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #54,520 of 65,552
I have to say this is somewhat scary... at least something of the Hemps i have seen here took a year or two to fall apart. I think being bonded together might be what helps dampen the sound and make it so forgiving.

The reviews of the RS1x are very intriguing, but I went for an OG GS1000 because it was solid wood.

I hope the new GS headphones use solid wood.
The current GS 1000e / 2000e use solid maple; the current GS 3000e uses solid cocobolo.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #54,521 of 65,552
I believe that the 325i was the gold 50th anniversary model. After that was the silver 325is which was concurrent with the rest of the i series models.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #54,522 of 65,552
The current GS 1000e / 2000e use solid maple; the current GS 3000e uses solid cocobolo.
Yup.. the previous RS series was solid wood too... but Grado seems to be in love with their new composite woods... hope I'm wrong

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #54,525 of 65,552
That may not bode well. I was considering the RS1x.

If I may indulge in some amateur sleuthing...

The cracked units all seem to have a brownish tone to the cocobolo - including mine, which had cracks in it. In contrast, my replacement unit has a distinctively red tone to it.

This makes me wonder if a particular run of units was affected - ie, the brown cocobolo vs red ones. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back