Grado Fan Club!
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #51,331 of 65,556
They literally only have an hour or so on the new driver. The resolution is very good and the bass with some good fullness. The treble is still an open discussion. It seems to be changing by song so I am going to let it settle for awhile before deciding.
Sounds good so far! Eager to hear your final impressions after you get used to them!

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #51,332 of 65,556
Apres ski at the Laurel Mountain audio loft…
B4C8A8F5-11C6-45C8-AD7B-9F214E619EB0.jpeg

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #51,333 of 65,556
The actual cost to build between core and their totl stuff I imagine is very little. In fact, the price between a 225e and 80e is silly. That's why I am of the opinion that you get a 60(x) with f-pads, or go full-Grado and get a RS2(x) with f-pads. In terms of keeping costs the same, "there is no headphone manufacturer who has done so", see Sennheiser 6XX, and I'm sure many more but I just don't keep abreast with the old stand-bys from Beyer, AKG, etc. It mostly seems its the audiophile brands that keep costs risings (Grado totl, Audeze totl, HFM totl, and many many others which is why Grado feels okay in doing the same. Im not mad that they like money, they are a business, like Head-Fi). I'd say the company that has brought the most value may actually be Apple and Massdrop. Imagine if the Airpods Pro was built by UE or some other high end company but with the same sound and features... Instead of Apple's $200, $2000 might be UE's asking price. Apple's Homepod was very innovative (worth a google). Massdrop has released a string of greatest hits: reviving Denon as the Fostex THX00, 6XX, 58X, 95X, etc. (rest of rant cut off)
My goodness, there are so many things wrong about this rant which reeks entitlement.

First off, Grado's cheapest is $100. OK. Then you whine about Grado's TOTL. Those models sell very few units per year from those who can afford them, and making them cheaper won't sell that much more. Most of the ZMF woodies cost $1500+ and they don't have a $100 model. But somehow you think it's OK to crap on Grado because they actually bother to offer sub-$500 models.

Next, you're praising Apple, Sennheiser and Massdrop. Ahh yes, companies that take advantage of cheap labor. Apple moves stuff by the millions and assembles everything in China for maximum profit. 6XX production was moved from Ireland to Romania where the average yearly salary is $12k. Grado is located in NYC which is either #1 or the #2 most expensive city in the USA to live in along with San Francisco. Brooklyn's average yearly salary is $52k. They need to pay their employees. Lastly, if someone is looking to buy Grado's premium models, Grado has no obligation to price them based on "competition", especially when their sound signature, for better or worse, is so different than everyone else's.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #51,334 of 65,556
Plastic Grado is good. We really don’t need 80 and 125.
No pro alu anymore. Who needs that?
We have woodies and all are good.
Think Grado doing fine.
Will buy Grado in the future

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #51,335 of 65,556
My goodness, there are so many things wrong about this rant which reeks entitlement.

First off, Grado's cheapest is $100. OK. Then you whine about Grado's TOTL. Those models sell very few units per year from those who can afford them, and making them cheaper won't sell that much more. Most of the ZMF woodies cost $1500+ and they don't have a $100 model. But somehow you think it's OK to crap on Grado because they actually bother to offer sub-$500 models.

Next, you're praising Apple, Sennheiser and Massdrop. Ahh yes, companies that take advantage of cheap labor. Apple moves stuff by the millions and assembles everything in China for maximum profit. 6XX production was moved from Ireland to Romania where the average yearly salary is $12k. Grado is located in NYC which is either #1 or the #2 most expensive city in the USA to live in along with San Francisco. Brooklyn's average yearly salary is $52k. They need to pay their employees. Lastly, if someone is looking to buy Grado's premium models, Grado has no obligation to price them based on "competition", especially when their sound signature, for better or worse, is so different than everyone else's.

Well said.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #51,336 of 65,556

Good call Gippy. I specifically added the controversial Apple comparison because I knew the shills in here would not engage in conversation unless they had something strong to stand on. Yes, comparing Apple to Grado is pretty ridiculous, but comparing ultimate product value is not. Grado's claim that it's "hand-made" in Brooklyn is iffy... Certainly not with the GW100, that was probably made in similar sweat shops as Apple or any American company that outsources to China etc.

@YtseJamer I didn't say that. I said Grado was inspired to use ttvj deluxe pads by purr1n.
- the pads were re-popularized by purr1n due to his threads
- TTVJ sells them for $50 per pair
- Grado saw dollar signs, and probably were envious of TTVJ selling foam for $50 per pair. Selling foam pads at ridiculous mark ups is Grado's bread and butter!

I remember when I joined HF and the RS1 was considered totl overpriced audiophile gears. RS2 was considered the smarter buy (if you were into shrilly Grado headphones). Times have changed or have they? Answer: totl overpriced RS1 was replaced with totl overpriced GS and PS. The RS1's niche in their lineup got confused so they updated the RS1 to have larger drivers from RS2.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #51,337 of 65,556
I knew the shills in here would not engage in conversation unless they had something strong to stand on.

Pretty sure no one in here is telling people to buy Grado over other brands. Most people in here are already fully on board the train after trying a SR60/80 and moved up or are considering moving up.

As for the GW100, I'm not averse to buying Chinese electronics. If I were, I wouldn't be typing this post and wouldn't own any smartphones or computers. But the GW100 is $250 and isn't marketed as one of Grado's artisan products. It's not TOTL. Neither are their IEMs, which are also outsourced. But your argument was that their main line of headphones don't differ in production costs and that everything beyond the entry-level plastic and wooden models (SR60x/RS2x) is price gouging. And then you brought up Sennheiser, which can't even afford to build most of their headphones in Ireland or Germany anymore because consumers are obsessed about "value".

You know it's funny that I still haven't seen a review of the fake earphonediylabs $250 RS1e/GS3000e. That tells me that price isn't the main factor here. People want the genuine product and will pay more for it. Why don't you tell purr1n to buy one of those next and measure it?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #51,338 of 65,556
Good call Gippy. I specifically added the controversial Apple comparison because I knew the shills in here would not engage in conversation unless they had something strong to stand on. Yes, comparing Apple to Grado is pretty ridiculous, but comparing ultimate product value is not. Grado's claim that it's "hand-made" in Brooklyn is iffy... Certainly not with the GW100, that was probably made in similar sweat shops as Apple or any American company that outsources to China etc.

@YtseJamer I didn't say that. I said Grado was inspired to use ttvj deluxe pads by purr1n.
- the pads were re-popularized by purr1n due to his threads
- TTVJ sells them for $50 per pair
- Grado saw dollar signs, and probably were envious of TTVJ selling foam for $50 per pair. Selling foam pads at ridiculous mark ups is Grado's bread and butter!

I remember when I joined HF and the RS1 was considered totl overpriced audiophile gears. RS2 was considered the smarter buy (if you were into shrilly Grado headphones). Times have changed or have they? Answer: totl overpriced RS1 was replaced with totl overpriced GS and PS. The RS1's niche in their lineup got confused so they updated the RS1 to have larger drivers from RS2.
How often do you have lunch with John Grado? You're a wealth of facts and information. Given that this a Grado Fan Club thread, I have no conclusion other than you are trolling (do people still do that? I'm not really up with social media). Many people here have valid criticisms of their Grado HF's, but you just seem like you don'l like Grado. That's fine I guess. To each their own. I wish you the best in finding your best sounds from the best value propositions.

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #51,340 of 65,556
And then you brought up Sennheiser, which can't even afford to build most of their headphones in Ireland or Germany anymore because consumers are obsessed about "value".

I think they saw the error in that move and recently took production back to Germany and Ireland. For example, the HD 600 and friends is back to Ireland after a short stint in Romania. I think the same is true of the HD 25.

Anyway for me where the product is made is important. I have some Chinese brand(s) that I really like, but they're Chinese companies making their products at home. When I buy Sennheiser I expect them to be made in Germany. A brand needs to have some integrity or it's kinda hard to see it as a brand.

Feb 27, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #51,341 of 65,556
Pretty sure no one in here is telling people to buy Grado over other brands. Most people in here are already fully on board the train after trying a SR60/80 and moved up or are considering moving up.

As for the GW100, I'm not averse to buying Chinese electronics. If I were, I wouldn't be typing this post and wouldn't own any smartphones or computers. But the GW100 is $250 and isn't marketed as one of Grado's artisan products. It's not TOTL. Neither are their IEMs, which are also outsourced. But your argument was that their main line of headphones don't differ in production costs and that everything beyond the entry-level plastic and wooden models (SR60x/RS2x) is price gouging. And then you brought up Sennheiser, which can't even afford to build most of their headphones in Ireland or Germany anymore because consumers are obsessed about "value".

You know it's funny that I still haven't seen a review of the fake earphonediylabs $250 RS1e/GS3000e. That tells me that price isn't the main factor here. People want the genuine product and will pay more for it. Why don't you tell purr1n to buy one of those next and measure it?
You could be as critical of unfounded praise but then you'd probably get banned from HF.

You invalidated Apple from conversation because of sweat shops. I point out Grado does the same thing but you're saying its not comparable. That doesn't follow.

In today's context of overpriced headphones, Grado's products look almost sane. But back in the day, Grado is your stereotypical marketed to audiophiles snake-oil company. The products are still the same except recently Hemp and x-series are actually improvements.

No one buys the diyearphonelabs because if it sucks then the resale value will be abysmal even if the drivers are genuine.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #51,342 of 65,556
No one buys the diyearphonelabs because if it sucks then the resale value will be abysmal even if the drivers are genuine.
Same goes for customized Grado's or ones made from 3rd party drivers/parts. The resell value is abysmal and you are lucky to get a decent fraction of what the initial investment was.

Customize a Grado for yourself not for resell value.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #51,343 of 65,556
You invalidated Apple from conversation because of sweat shops. I point out Grado does the same thing but you're saying its not comparable. That doesn't follow.

Not really. Apple makes the Airpods in China, and now some are made in Vietnam because Vietnam production will eventually become cheaper. This is because the Airpods are a consumer driven product for low price and high profit. The Airpods are a big seller. Apple also makes the Mac Pro which is assembled in USA and starts at $6000. The Mac Pro isn't one of their big sellers.

Contrast this to Grado in which their regular headphones are assembled in USA, and the GW100 is more of a side hustle than anything.

Feb 27, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #51,344 of 65,556
But back in the day, Grado is your stereotypical marketed to audiophiles snake-oil company.

I don't remember that at all. Rather, they were notable in being mids-forward and having a different house sound than Sennheiser for example, which was always dark in those years.

Product labelling laws have changed in the past decades, globalism is the new normal. To me as long the company provides accurate info on the locations of source and assembly, that's about as good as it's going to get nowadays.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #51,345 of 65,556
Both the hemp and 325x sound awesome with the cayin ru6 fantastic little dongle with the grado, really like both these cans and I think both do things well all be it differently.
Also they go well with a TR- AMP but mines up for sale as Mojo 2 is on the way and I just know it's not going to get the love it deserves.
Contemplating on a rs1x or rs2x in the near future too.20220205_102728.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back