Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #51,316 of 65,692
It's really hard for me to explain, it helps bring out guitars in metal and the like, makes them super satisfyingly. I wish I could give you a better explanation but I don't have a sr225e on hand and can only explain from memory
That sort of matches my impression of the SR225e and why I liked them the most of the Prestige "e" series.

The only Reference "e" I tried was the RS2e and I did not like it at all... "hollow", no bass.

I ended up getting the 60e and still like it. To me the SR325X is like a 'Super 60e" in all the right ways...more clarity, definition, and bass.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #51,317 of 65,692
That sort of matches my impression of the SR225e and why I liked them the most of the Prestige "e" series.

The only Reference "e" I tried was the RS2e and I did not like it at all... "hollow", no bass.

I ended up getting the 60e and still like it. To me the SR325X is like a 'Super 60e" in all the right ways...more clarity, definition, and bass.

This is why I like the Hemps so much. They have that Grado sound but up the low end a bit. Sounds great.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #51,318 of 65,692
No. That’s why they’ve been revamping their products the past few years because their schiit does not stack up to the competition.

Hemp is good. Most of the rest sucked. The new x-series took their ques from Hemp’s success. Grado got lucky or they hired someone else to do their designs or they just copied purr!n.
YMMV but those are regardless pretty assumptive statements.

The x series has very little in common with the Hemp, different goals, both successfull in my opinion. There is no “luck” in Grado’s approach of designing headphones, always moving forward to improve. Something that they do time and again. And like many manufacturer’s (most) not every model is successful. It really hits home when that design is not up to expectations. I notice many high end/high priced models costing thousands of dollars suddenly show up in mass on the classified.

My opinion they have just gotten better and they are SO popular they are working overtime to meet the demand.

BTW, there is no “new” headphone designer at Grado, John is constantly as his Uncle Joe was looking to move the performance up and as always to do so at reasonable pricing. Pricing that has remained virtually the same for decades. There is no headphone manufacturer who has done so or even be able to ti be able to achieve that.

May everyone find and enjoy what they like best and enjoy the music.

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #51,319 of 65,692

My RS2e don’t lack bass compared to my 225e.
My rs2e is more detailed. Better looking and a little bit more smooth.

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #51,320 of 65,692
Feb 26, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #51,321 of 65,692
My previous favourite Grados are Hemp and GH2... till today. Oh my, RS1X does surprise me nicely. Definitely improve from RS1e in so many ways, but still retain the smooth treble that I like.

RS1X perform better in micro detail, texture, separation between instrument, transparency than Hemp, RS1e and GH2. RS1X has tonal closer to what I will call reference (still in Grado ways though). Definitely the RS series from Grado.

The fluid feel in notes transition is nice here, feel more effortless than any Grado I ever heard (that come with bowl/flat pad as standard pad). Haven't tried RS2X to compare, but I think Grado really hit the jackpot with RS1X here. Bass is tight and fast, obviously not for basshead person.

Did I mentioned RS1X great in separation and soundstage quality? Definitely not congested and cleaner sounding than what I feel with RS1e.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #51,322 of 65,692
Loving my Grado GH2's today in a new chain:
BF2 to Schiit Loki to Violectric V220 (as a preamp) to XDuoo MT-602. Really filling out that bottom end nicely!:L3000:

Feb 26, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #51,323 of 65,692
YMMV but those are regardless pretty assumptive statements.

The x series has very little in common with the Hemp, different goals, both successfull in my opinion. There is no “luck” in Grado’s approach of designing headphones, always moving forward to improve. Something that they do time and again. And like many manufacturer’s (most) not every model is successful. It really hits home when that design is not up to expectations. I notice many high end/high priced models costing thousands of dollars suddenly show up in mass on the classified.

My opinion they have just gotten better and they are SO popular they are working overtime to meet the demand.

BTW, there is no “new” headphone designer at Grado, John is constantly as his Uncle Joe was looking to move the performance up and as always to do so at reasonable pricing. Pricing that has remained virtually the same for decades. There is no headphone manufacturer who has done so or even be able to ti be able to achieve that.

May everyone find and enjoy what they like best and enjoy the music.

I can only speculate for why Grado has finally made headphones comparable in sound to the original Grado's from the late 80's like the HP-1000. Evidence then suggests that the headphones have only gotten worse over time until very recently (Hemp and x-series).

The pricing on core models have remained the same. The limited editions and the crazy stuff like GS and PS are priced ridiculously. The actual cost to build between core and their totl stuff I imagine is very little. In fact, the price between a 225e and 80e is silly. That's why I am of the opinion that you get a 60(x) with f-pads, or go full-Grado and get a RS2(x) with f-pads.

In terms of keeping costs the same, "there is no headphone manufacturer who has done so", see Sennheiser 6XX, and I'm sure many more but I just don't keep abreast with the old stand-bys from Beyer, AKG, etc. It mostly seems its the audiophile brands that keep costs risings (Grado totl, Audeze totl, HFM totl, and many many others which is why Grado feels okay in doing the same. Im not mad that they like money, they are a business, like Head-Fi).

I'd say the company that has brought the most value may actually be Apple and Massdrop. Imagine if the Airpods Pro was built by UE or some other high end company but with the same sound and features... Instead of Apple's $200, $2000 might be UE's asking price. Apple's Homepod was very innovative (worth a google). Massdrop has released a string of greatest hits: reviving Denon as the Fostex THX00, 6XX, 58X, 95X, etc. What has Grado innovated? Lets see:

The Hemp was released shortly after purr1n wrote a long thread on his love for Grado RS2(e) with ttvj deluxe pads. Then Hemp came with ttvj deluxe pads and was loved. To keep up with demand (and/or to shift positioning due to competition from other brands, not due to actual Grado r&d or sound engineering because we've seen decades of Grado's shrill headphones) Grado released the x-series. 225x and 325x now come with ttvj deluxe / "f-pads" standard. And reference series now comes with Hemp wood, however we saw early adopter @jonathan c 's reference series already fail catastrophically so who knows if Hemp hybrid is here to stay for long.

I like to say that Grado is appealing because they are made in the USA. But I think they are mostly "assembled" in the USA. Do we know where their drivers, cables, and headbands come from? I imagine the cups are made in the USA. The headbands haven't changed a bit so Id say also from USA. The cables on the x-series has changed to the now prevalent braided sleeving that I despise due to microphonics, are they made in the USA? And the drivers according to diyearphonelabs is China, but who knows. If only if Grado were more transparent and not griefing us with silly pricing strategies and gouging audiophiles willing to buy their high end stuff. The Grado GW100 I had recently said "designed" in USA instead of "assembled" in USA, I think that's clue enough about this brand's dedication to supporting local USA and their dedication to "transparency" (the inside pamphlet says Grado has been made-by-hand for generations) or "value" pricing.

Did you know that Grado's original headphones had drivers that were used in cheap Nakimichi (SP-7?) headphones? Grado modded the drivers in-house supposedly. I think old guys like Headphile who have stock on NOS drivers probably figured out Grado's source and tweaks long ago. But who knows.

Most boutique headphone companies can't make their own drivers, often times you can order similar or same drivers from the supplier (usually based in China). Alibaba marketplace is helpful if you're an interested amateur looking to diy.

Sennheiser makes their own drivers (see their factory tour videos). Engineers are expensive but Senn seems to keep prices reasonable for the most part (aside from halo product electrostats).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #51,324 of 65,692
Senn and beyerdynamic make most of theyr stuff self.and they sell parts

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #51,325 of 65,692
PXL_20220226_193852460.jpg

Shipibo Audio padauk cups, pads, rods and wide leather headband. 👍

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #51,327 of 65,692
Delete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back