Grado Fan Club!
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #50,536 of 65,714
Question for RS1x owners - as the headphones break in, does the bass response make an appearance? If I remember correctly, the bass improved after my RS2e's broke in, and I'm hoping the same will happen with the RS1x. Thx!
yes! Absolutely.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #50,537 of 65,714
yes! Absolutely.
I've seen others on this thread with a difference of opinion. Notice I said opinion! LOL. I have had the RS1x for about a month or so. A couple hundred hours on them. They have most definitely improved in the bass response. Now, is it a DT 700 look a like? Nope. But for my sensibilities, I'm not looking for any more bass. The bass with the RS1x is tight, and controlled. I'm using the stock L pads and my opinions are based on such. Anyway, really liking these Cans and, if I ever get around to it, I want to do a comparison between the X and the e. I think that the X's having a wider sound stage, better instrument separation, and as I've said above, better bass extension. YMMV

Leo

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #50,539 of 65,714
20220114_160947.jpg

I just got these new Shipibo pads. I'm taking them for a spin on my SR60e.

OH. MAH. GAWD. I dont think I can go back to any other pads.

They are now the most comfortable headphones I've ever had the pleasure of trying on. The pads are, just barely, over the ear (for me at least) which has the effect of noticeably pumping up the bass. The mids / highs are perhaps a little tamer or it's just the extra bass balancing everything better.

SR60e (any flat pad model really) normally have a super energetic RAHHHHHHH! FRONT ROW! vibe. These are more like you're back a ways in the sweet spot of the pavilion. The front row can be fun for awhile, but sooner or later you need to refill your beer and soak everything in.

A Prestige Series model with these pads and a lightweight detachable cable would be the best selling headphone in the universe.
Thant's exactly how I experienced the pad swapping on the GW100 (although not Shipibo)

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #50,540 of 65,714
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #50,541 of 65,714
Any of the mid-range Grados particularly good with the big Bowl Pads? GH1-4? Or barring the high high end models, what's the best Grado that uses/can use well, the bowl pads?

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #50,542 of 65,714
Any of the mid-range Grados particularly good with the big Bowl Pads? GH1-4? Or barring the high high end models, what's the best Grado that uses/can use well, the bowl pads?
I'm using my GS1000, PS500, SR325x with the large G-pads, sounds good. They seem a bit loose on the 325x.

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #50,543 of 65,714
No, sorry it's not going to happen. You should try the tape mod if you want to add a little bit of heft and body.
Ok thanks for letting me know how they turned out for you - I did the tape mod with my RS2e's, eventually I can try it with the 1x's.
:frowning2: That's no good news. Ist the RS1x really so lean?
Some reviews I've heard mentioned that they're light on the bass. Even with those expectations, I'm still surprised how lean they are, but I'll keep breaking them in. They go deep, but as an example, my Etymotoc ER4 SR's have more bass.
I've seen others on this thread with a difference of opinion. Notice I said opinion! LOL. I have had the RS1x for about a month or so. A couple hundred hours on them. They have most definitely improved in the bass response. Now, is it a DT 700 look a like? Nope. But for my sensibilities, I'm not looking for any more bass. The bass with the RS1x is tight, and controlled. I'm using the stock L pads and my opinions are based on such. Anyway, really liking these Cans and, if I ever get around to it, I want to do a comparison between the X and the e. I think that the X's having a wider sound stage, better instrument separation, and as I've said above, better bass extension. YMMV

Leo
Ok, great to hear. I think from listening to studio monitors for so many years, I like tight and controlled bass. IMO the 1x could use just a bit of sub-bass to naturally round things out.

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #50,544 of 65,714
Ok thanks for letting me know how they turned out for you - I did the tape mod with my RS2e's, eventually I can try it with the 1x's.

Some reviews I've heard mentioned that they're light on the bass. Even with those expectations, I'm still surprised how lean they are, but I'll keep breaking them in. They go deep, but as an example, my Etymotoc ER4 SR's have more bass.

The tape mod will help a little bit. I thought that the bass would improve eventually, but I gave up after 500 hours of burn-in. And btw I'm not even a basshead.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #50,546 of 65,714
I was so proud of myself. I ordered not one of the new prestige series and neither RS2x or RS1x. Having already 5 Grados it is also sensible.

Today I ordered a GS3000e. Duh!

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #50,547 of 65,714
I was so proud of myself. I ordered not one of the new prestige series and neither RS2x or RS1x. Having already 5 Grados it is also sensible.

I'm going to find one for a spectacular price one of these days and buy it, congratulations on your purchase.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #50,548 of 65,714
hi Folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I recently purchased the sr80x earlier this month as I’ve always wanted to try the “Grado Sound”. Ive got some other toys to play with (lcd x, blessings, timeless and x2hrs) and wanted something different. I immediately fell in love! Of course, like many of you, I’m already drinking the kool aid and wanted to try something up the line to see the differences.

yesterday I got my 225x to try. I was a tad disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, technically they are the better performing of the two, but they are missing something. Noticed it immediately on some tracks that the cymbals and guitars seemed much more relaxed. Eagles unplugged “Hotel California” or Steely Dan “Cousin Dupree” highlighted right away. The high hats and pluck of the guitar are just not the same.

Would moving up to 325x or higher bring that “sparkle” back?

thanks for any help.

ps: running from modi3+>vali 2+ or ieMagni

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #50,550 of 65,714

You will love the GS3000e! A wonderful look and an even better sound. [ I’m new (but lightning quick) to the ‘Gradowner’ community: current tally = four. ] It is one of my favourite h/p in just two months of attentive comparative listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back