Grado Fan Club!
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #50,521 of 65,714
Gratz on a fun purchase @jonathan c! I've had these for over a year now, and they continue to be a freakin' blast to listen to. Initially, the attached cables and constant twisting drove me crazy, so I installed this mod: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-cable-adapter - it made a huge difference. Turned them from a fun occasional headphone to a daily driver. Can't recommend the mod enough- came with great instructions as worked exactly as advertised.

Hope you enjoy the Hemp!
Thank you…the Hemp will have three Grado siblings (and quite a few others!) in my home study. That adapter is fascinating 🧐😀

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #50,522 of 65,714
Gratz on a fun purchase @jonathan c! I've had these for over a year now, and they continue to be a freakin' blast to listen to. Initially, the attached cables and constant twisting drove me crazy, so I installed this mod: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-cable-adapter - it made a huge difference. Turned them from a fun occasional headphone to a daily driver. Can't recommend the mod enough- came with great instructions as worked exactly as advertised.

Hope you enjoy the Hemp!
This looks amazing! Do you have pictures of yours?

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #50,523 of 65,714
This looks amazing! Do you have pictures of yours?
I happened to be listening to them right now, so I took a break and snapped a couple shots. Lighting isn't great, but hopefully this helps:

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #50,524 of 65,714
I happened to be listening to them right now, so I took a break and snapped a couple shots. Lighting isn't great, but hopefully this helps:
Thank you soo much, that looks excellent!

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #50,525 of 65,714
That mod looks so natural. It's almost as if Grado should just make them that way in the first place. 😁

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #50,527 of 65,714
I'm considering upgrading from my Grado RS1i's to Grado GS1000e, would I notice much of a difference? If so, how big?
I never heard the RS1i, but my guess is, more "air" with the GS1000e
Edit to add: Moving up in the line is very small, but noticeable increments

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #50,529 of 65,714
Question for RS1x owners - as the headphones break in, does the bass response make an appearance? If I remember correctly, the bass improved after my RS2e's broke in, and I'm hoping the same will happen with the RS1x. Thx!

No, sorry it's not going to happen. You should try the tape mod if you want to add a little bit of heft and body.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #50,530 of 65,714
I never heard the RS1i, but my guess is, more "air" with the GS1000e
Edit to add: Moving up in the line is very small, but noticeable increments
There is a big difference between the models with G pad and L pad. No small thing in my experience. Less direct sound with the G, it does not have the drive as the smaller ones. I am listening to the GS1000i now. They are really big soundig with lot of space, but completly different caracter as my RS2e and even further away from the HEMP. You have to try it and give it time. I couldn't get it just after several weeks.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #50,531 of 65,714
No, sorry it's not going to happen. You should try the tape mod if you want to add a little bit of heft and body.
:frowning2: That's no good news. Ist the RS1x really so lean?

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #50,532 of 65,714
There is a big difference between the models with G pad and L pad. No small thing in my experience. Less direct sound with the G, it does not have the drive as the smaller ones. I am listening to the GS1000i now. They are really big soundig with lot of space, but completly different caracter as my RS2e and even further away from the HEMP. You have to try it and give it time. I couldn't get it just after several weeks.
Agreed! I have the GS1000e, Hemp & RS2e. They are defintely different. The original poster was asking if the difference was great between RS1i and the GS1000e. I just wouldn't say a big difference. It's up to him if the difference is worth the cost. I know going from the RS2e to the GS1000e was worth the cost difference.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #50,533 of 65,714
20220114_160947.jpg

I just got these new Shipibo pads. I'm taking them for a spin on my SR60e.

OH. MAH. GAWD. I dont think I can go back to any other pads.

They are now the most comfortable headphones I've ever had the pleasure of trying on. The pads are, just barely, over the ear (for me at least) which has the effect of noticeably pumping up the bass. The mids / highs are perhaps a little tamer or it's just the extra bass balancing everything better.

SR60e (any flat pad model really) normally have a super energetic RAHHHHHHH! FRONT ROW! vibe. These are more like you're back a ways in the sweet spot of the pavilion. The front row can be fun for awhile, but sooner or later you need to refill your beer and soak everything in.

A Prestige Series model with these pads and a lightweight detachable cable would be the best selling headphone in the universe.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #50,534 of 65,714
I have a question.. If I buy replacement earpads for a Grado headphone, will they be able to fit any Grado as long as they fit one of them?
All fit any ok. The original grado range , S , flat, L doughnut, and G large over ear , fit all the Sr range and RS range . And the GS & PS larger phones which use the G ......all good . And other cheaper brands like Geekria also ok.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #50,535 of 65,714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back