Grado Fan Club!
Jan 11, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #50,491 of 65,714
So I’ve got a bone to pick with my Grado Hemp.

I’ve posted here many times how much I love the Hemp, in terms of both sound and aesthetics, but I’ve noticed that something seems to be going on with the wood. It’s becoming white, as though it’s drying out. Is this a problem inherent to the hemp wood? Because These are less than a year old, and take a look at this photo:

A99E9F5C-2640-4E8A-B5DD-5EFD4345E235.jpeg

That shouldn’t be happening, right? Because I take immense care of these headphones. I’ve never even taken them outside, they’ve never been subjected to any weather conditions, and they simply sit on a hook attached the shelf in my office room. And I only bought them 8 or 9 months ago.

Given that I spent I believe $600 CAD on these, I’m extremely disappointed. My SR60 have held up for 20 years, but not even a year in and these far more expensive headphones already aren’t looking so great.

I‘ve got an update on this.

I contacted Grado to inquire about this problem, and since I’m located in Canada, I was referred over to Grado’s Canadian distributor. I contacted the distributor and they’ve been super helpful. I explained the issue and so they tried to reproduce it themselves to come to a solution. They were able to reproduce it, and then apparently solve the issue by applying a certain type of wood oil to the headphone.

So now they’ve not only explained to me how to apply the oil, but they’re sending me some in the mail so that I can apply it myself, rather than having to spend the time and money to ship in the whole headphone. Now I’m waiting for the shipment so that I can try it out myself. I’ve got my fingers crossed. The gentleman I’ve been in communication with has been extremely helpful. Hopefully this oil does the trick.

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #50,492 of 65,714

I contacted Grado to inquire about this problem, and since I’m located in Canada, I was referred over to Grado’s Canadian distributor. I contacted the distributor and they’ve been super helpful. I explained the issue and so they tried to reproduce it themselves to come to a solution. They were able to reproduce it, and then apparently solve the issue by applying a certain type of wood oil to the headphone.

So now they’ve not only explained to me how to apply the oil, but they’re sending me some in the mail so that I can apply it myself, rather than having to spend the time and money to ship in the whole headphone. Now I’m waiting for the shipment so that I can try it out myself. I’ve got my fingers crossed. The gentleman I’ve been in communication with has been extremely helpful. Hopefully this oil does the trick.
I really like the Hemp Phone. I prefer its sound signature over my vintage RS1e.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #50,493 of 65,714
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #50,494 of 65,714
No clue and I can't find much info about the album online. And it's been out since April.
It has only been released in internet/streaming form - no vinyl or CD. The pianist could be Wynton Kelley or it could be Barry Harris - one with whom Lee Morgan / Clifford Jones recorded in 1960-1961.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #50,495 of 65,714
Note: Barry Harris passed away at 91 just this past 08-December.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #50,496 of 65,714
Thanks my friend. I agree, that the various Grado tiers have significant differences. That being said, how did you calculate the 15% and 10% details? Slide rule? Computer Algorithms? Or the meta verse?

LOL. Only kidding. I actually agree with your assessments!

Leo

HEHE:beyersmile: Uses my brain and ears.

Maybe it is less or more :wink: but the difference is there.
source: Tidal track; Pink floyd shine on your crazy diamond

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #50,497 of 65,714
Check out:
Lee.jpg
I am currently playing it again in iTunes (90 seconds per song) and trying to decide if I should buy it. Pretty relaxed horns and nice piano. Very chill! :thumbsup:
gonna try this out, I need some new music :wink:

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #50,498 of 65,714
No clue and I can't find much info about the album online. And it's been out since April.
I was having the same problem. It seems like it's a compilation of takes that those guys recorded together; but the material was originally released on different LPs at the time.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #50,499 of 65,714

...otherwise it could be real snake oil:dt880smile: --sorry couldn't resist. Really hope it works and you may provide the name/source of the oil.....

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #50,501 of 65,714

I myself have three Grado headphones that use hemp. I have had no issues at all but a little oil for any of the woodies is a good idea. I use a product called Ballistol that works great on wood, metal and many other materials. Any oil that works for wood should be fine. Teak oil would be a top choice also. A little bit of oil applied and rubbed into the wood using your fingers.

Attachments

• 2DB9E3AA-6F74-4BA6-AEA8-99E6579B519A.jpeg
    2DB9E3AA-6F74-4BA6-AEA8-99E6579B519A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 680CD06B-752B-44FC-BFF6-1979EFF1794D.jpeg
    680CD06B-752B-44FC-BFF6-1979EFF1794D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 13F02E6D-E309-4ADA-98E4-18CF77B7ED7C.jpeg
    13F02E6D-E309-4ADA-98E4-18CF77B7ED7C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #50,502 of 65,714
I myself have three Grado headphones that use hemp. I have had no issues at all but a little oil for any of the woodies is a good idea. I use a product called Ballistol that works great on wood, metal and many other materials. Any oil that works for wood should be fine. Teak oil would be a top choice also. A little bit of oil applied and rubbed into the wood using your fingers.
Rs2e with hemp?

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #50,503 of 65,714
I have a GH1 that has never been opened.
Thinking about selling it. Any recommendations of best place to post?
I think here the classified is a good start. It is also listed on hifishark then automatically. Are you in the states or US? If Europe, the audio-markt.de is also a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back