Grado Fan Club!
Jan 10, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #50,461 of 65,714
The honeymoon period is real. It’s definitely lasting longer than when I had the Empyreans (great sound but a little cumbersome to wear). I’m very satisfied with the synergy between Grado and Schiit. Currently on the lookout for a new tube.
On the Lyr 3, I will ‘bang the gong’ for the Ken-Rad VT-231: Deep, powerful bass, fulsome midrange, airy treble - convincing soundstage…🎼😄.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #50,462 of 65,714
I have £600 burning a hole in my pocket after the sale of some of my Sonos speakers that I no longer use much. Do I:

a) Be sensible, and save it towards my holiday later this year
b) spend it on upgrading my car which needs some more go faster stuff fitting to it
c) Consider some Dan Clark Aeon X closed backs (I really need a nice pair of closed back phones)
d) Blow the lot on Invest wisely in a pair of RS2x!!
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021]

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #50,463 of 65,714
Hi guys, so I’m looking at a set of headphones, i had a listen to a friend’s grado SR80x’s the other day and i thought they sounded amazing. That was with a Fiio btr5 and just using Spotify. I want to get a set of headphones for myself and he’s got a second hand btr5 that i can buy but I’m wondering if i should upgrade to the SR125x or even the SR225x. I don’t think i can go up as far as the SR325x but the other two are in my price range. I’ll be using Spotify for my music too. Or maybe i should just grab the SR80x’s? Thanks for any help!
skip 125, 225 is worth the money
60/80/125 is pretty the same
and yes, the 80 is good too :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #50,464 of 65,714
skip 125, 225 is worth the money
60/80/125 is pretty the same
and yes, the 80 is good too :wink:
I concur, the 225 has always been a sweet spot. I generally preferred them to the 325, at least until the 325x arrived.

The 225 will serve you well.

Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #50,465 of 65,714
I concur, the 225 has always been a sweet spot. I generally preferred them to the 325, at least until the 325x arrived.

The 225 will serve you well.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided to order the SR80x's for now. And when or if i do upgrade i'll go the SR225X's. Seems like most people like those. Looking forward to getting the 80's for now. :)

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #50,466 of 65,714
So I've been settling in with the 325x for about a week now - things seem to just get better and better with about 30 hours on the clock. The choice to colour sound according to need with pads adds some great versatility but I can't help but want that one pad that does it all but I'm not sure it exists.

So far the stock F pads seem to provide the best balance of tonal properties and technical performance, while the Geekria G cush seem expand the stage but sit the mids further back and take away some of the body in the lower frequencies. Both have their use cases. Comfort isn't great with the stock pads but I'm getting used to them. I've also just taken delivery of the Shipibo pads (service was great and quick delivery).

First impressions of the Shipibo are very positive:
  • Excellent comfort with the pads sitting around the ear with no pressure points making the 325x the comfiest headphone I've tried, hands down.
  • As for sound, shipibo claim a bump to bass and a cut to the mids and this is very much what I'm hearing but with loss of treble air. As an example I'm hearing less of the breath-like quality that surrounds the edges of sax notes and these now sound smoother and warmer.
  • Thankfully it has obliterated issues I was having with some harsher recordings.
  • Tonally the changes overall make the 325x warmer and more organic but still retains the incisive characteristics of driver (i.e. what I think is a tight attack and decay). In a sense, I think it's lost the metallic twang it has with other pads...
  • Changes to 'technicalities' are quite dramatic, compared to stock sound stage is compressed in all dimensions with a narrow and less graded L-R transition. It is still out-the-head with its stage but imaging within that takes a hit.
The Grado sound that I've read about may have been changed but I do have a soft spot for a full-bodied signature and I've never been one to index for absolute technical performance, plus the comfort is very hard to pass up. Another tool in the arsenal anyway!

_DSC3008.jpg

(excuse the slightly cheap looking headband mod)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #50,467 of 65,714
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided to order the SR80x's for now. And when or if i do upgrade i'll go the SR225X's. Seems like most people like those. Looking forward to getting the 80's for now. :)

Enjoy! I was so impressed by the SR80x for the price :gs1000smile:

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #50,468 of 65,714
The Grado sound that I've read about may have been changed but I do have a soft spot for a full-bodied signature and I've never been one to index for absolute technical performance, plus the comfort is very hard to pass up. Another tool in the arsenal anyway!

_DSC3008.jpg

(excuse the slightly cheap looking headband mod)

Nice headband you've got there :smirk:

SR325x.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #50,470 of 65,714
Great minds think alike! :wink:
wow
im ordering the sennheiser headband as we speak. great idea!

I've finally settled on the Bowl pads, xbass at low level and some foam in front of the driver to tame the 10khz peak. sounds lovely now and these RS2x arent going nowhere. such a dynamic sound. best treble ive heard in a can in terms of timbre.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #50,471 of 65,714
wow
im ordering the sennheiser headband as we speak. great idea!

With the shipibo pads and the Senn headband it's like being hugged by a good pillow...!

Do be aware though it takes some height away from adjusting your earcups. Thankfully, my ears still fit happily within the cups.

:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #50,472 of 65,714
I might as well show off my SR325x too... :L3000:

I might have to buy several pairs of those Shipibo pads for all of my Grado cans... :scream:

zgr.jpg

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #50,474 of 65,714
Anyone compared the Grado GH2 to the Grado Hemp-Phone? I have the Hemp Phone, and this thing sounds marvelous. I want the GH2, but if it's a step down, I may just go another direction.
Definitely not a step down. The GH2 is fantastic. It's a little more "classic" Grado: airy, trebly; where the Hemp is bassier and punchier.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #50,475 of 65,714
I might as well show off my SR325x too... :L3000:

I might have to buy several pairs of those Shipibo pads for all of my Grado cans... :scream:

zgr.jpg

Nice! Yeah, I highly recommend them.

Also, I've seen a few Grados now with the label removed from the outer grille. How does one go about doing this? Does it make any perceptable difference to the sound or is it purely aesthetic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back