Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #50,446 of 65,715
FWIW: I just "saved" a lot of money for a new HP by swapping the OG pads on the GW100 to the G-pads. It really increased the comfort as well as the sound stage. Everything becomes a bit more airy and to my ears details are not lost.:L3000:
(PS I know this is not turning them into neither RS1x or 2x.....but it gives me the sense of something new)

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #50,447 of 65,715
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #50,448 of 65,715
Hi guys, so I’m looking at a set of headphones, i had a listen to a friend’s grado SR80x’s the other day and i thought they sounded amazing. That was with a Fiio btr5 and just using Spotify. I want to get a set of headphones for myself and he’s got a second hand btr5 that i can buy but I’m wondering if i should upgrade to the SR125x or even the SR225x. I don’t think i can go up as far as the SR325x but the other two are in my price range. I’ll be using Spotify for my music too. Or maybe i should just grab the SR80x’s? Thanks for any help!

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #50,449 of 65,715
Just got 325Xs! I love them, they're absolutely wonderful, but I don't love the pads right now. I've read online that the L-Cush pads sound wonderful and widen the (already wonderful) soundstage. The problem is that there are none available in any store anywhere. FYI I live in Canada. Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to official grado L-Cush? I've been looking at the Geekria stuff on Amazon, but I want to know if anyone has had a good time with them.
Make sure when you do get an alternate pad that you still put some time on the flats it comes with, they break in too. You may find yourself switching off between them.

My pair have just recently broken in and they really showed a significant gain over out of the box. Bass is cleaner and more detailed, treble a touch more calm and the mix makes it the best SR325 in my opinion.

Enjoy the experimenting and fun sound.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #50,450 of 65,715
Hi guys, so I’m looking at a set of headphones, i had a listen to a friend’s grado SR80x’s the other day and i thought they sounded amazing. That was with a Fiio btr5 and just using Spotify. I want to get a set of headphones for myself and he’s got a second hand btr5 that i can buy but I’m wondering if i should upgrade to the SR125x or even the SR225x. I don’t think i can go up as far as the SR325x but the other two are in my price range. I’ll be using Spotify for my music too. Or maybe i should just grab the SR80x’s? Thanks for any help!
Tough call

I love my SR325X... but bought them because I was given an open box deal by my store owning buddy that made them cheaper than the SR225X I intended to buy.

I haven't heard the rest of the new X series yet, but from reports the 60's, 80's, 225's, and 325's appear to be the picks of the litter.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #50,451 of 65,715
761DD75D-A619-414B-8E4A-0A935A834128.jpeg

Still enjoying the RS1x. Moved back to the stock Lyr 3 tube for now. Pardon the lack of cable management.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #50,452 of 65,715
Make sure when you do get an alternate pad that you still put some time on the flats it comes with, they break in too. You may find yourself switching off between them.

My pair have just recently broken in and they really showed a significant gain over out of the box. Bass is cleaner and more detailed, treble a touch more calm and the mix makes it the best SR325 in my opinion.

Enjoy the experimenting and fun sound.
Hey thank you for the advice. I've read a couple reviews that say they break in, so I might stick with it. They say on the grado website that they've tuned the headphones for those pads, so we'll see how they feel in a few weeks. How long did it take for you to break yours in?

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #50,453 of 65,715

Just my opinion.... suggest if you heard something that sounds amazing (to you) --> stick with that and enjoy for at least 3-6 months. Don't "rob" yourself of this experience. While enjoying what you hear with the SR80 (great headphones), you can read, watch and think about where you want to jump (next)...then maybe invest in another pair (or not). No rush. Have fun. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #50,454 of 65,715
I have just over 100 hrs. on the SR325X and they still seem to be getting better... I believe in break-in.

Before I get flamed... I used to be a rep.for Quad and Wharfedale speakers and did some A/B comparisons between "new" and "100 hr." sets and the sets with break-in sounded better... even to walk-in customers.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #50,455 of 65,715
I am really enjoying the Hemp-Phones. I've been going back and forth today between them and the RS1e. Both have been modified with the G Cushion pads. By the way, I was unaware that there are Cushion Swapping Cops out there? There are folks who are of the opinion that you should not pad swap no matter how uncomfortable the stock pads are for you. Regardless, I am very impressed by the Hemp-Phones.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #50,456 of 65,715

Still enjoying the RS1x. Moved back to the stock Lyr 3 tube for now. Pardon the lack of cable management.
“Still enjoying the RS1x”? Was there a possibility that the enjoyment would cease 😳?…

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #50,457 of 65,715
I am really enjoying the Hemp-Phones. I've been going back and forth today between them and the RS1e. Both have been modified with the G Cushion pads. By the way, I was unaware that there are Cushion Swapping Cops** out there? There are folks who are of the opinion that you should not pad swap no matter how uncomfortable the stock pads are for you. Regardless, I am very impressed by the Hemp-Phones.
** a/k/a… “Cushtapo”…🤪🚔
A73217BD-EADA-4102-A6B0-B7A2380A9A91.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #50,459 of 65,715
I am really enjoying the Hemp-Phones. I've been going back and forth today between them and the RS1e. Both have been modified with the G Cushion pads. By the way, I was unaware that there are Cushion Swapping Cops out there? There are folks who are of the opinion that you should not pad swap no matter how uncomfortable the stock pads are for you. Regardless, I am very impressed by the Hemp-Phones.
In the end, you own 'em - enjoy them anyway you want!

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #50,460 of 65,715
“Still enjoying the RS1x”? Was there a possibility that the enjoyment would cease 😳?…
The honeymoon period is real. It’s definitely lasting longer than when I had the Empyreans (great sound but a little cumbersome to wear). I’m very satisfied with the synergy between Grado and Schiit. Currently on the lookout for a new tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back