Grado Fan Club!
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #50,416 of 65,714
Blissing out. RS1x, Keller Williams "Grass". Just having a great night. Thank you Grado!

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #50,417 of 65,714
I swear your Amp stack grows every time you post a new picture 😊
~ Confession: I have 5 headphone amplifiers / 15 headphones in my study at home. ‘Rolling’ can and has encompassed tubes, amplifiers, cables, headphones. 😄🤪🎼
~ A photograph is indeed a “snapshot”…gear in use is subject to change…

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #50,418 of 65,714
I swear your Amp stack grows every time you post a new picture 😊
Reply #2: …whatever the iteration, the Mystique DAC (NOS/R2R), the Audiolab CDT-6000, and the Furman Elite-15i will always be the base of the ‘pyramid’.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #50,420 of 65,714
I've been at it for a few hours now. I love the Hemp Phones! If I may be BLUNT, they are really DOPE! I have a lot of amps, but so far they are really great on the Master 19/Ares II. I did not care for them on the RME ADI 2 DAC. However, I really like them on the ARES II/Little DOT MK II with NOS tubes.

Agreed. The Hemps burn well above their price point. I've got mine on the Burson Soloist 3XP right now <-- MHDT Orchid (R2R//Tube) = :beyersmile:

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #50,423 of 65,714
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #50,424 of 65,714
Cross-posted from Facebook:

So there has been a little discussion of the limited edition Pokemon Center x Grado Labs collaboration. There has been some consternation demonstrated here and in other discussion areas that these headphones are basically just rebadged SR80s with an added Pokemon tax.

The information posted on the Pokemon Center website seemed inconsistent with itself and with what these headphones actually seemed to be, so I reached out to Grado Labs via Facebook Messenger to try and figure out what was going on. I was surprised today to receive a phone call from John Grado, from Grado Labs, to explain what was actually going on with these headphones.

Per Mr. Grado, during the early discussions between the Pokemon Center and Grado, they initially sent over samples/specs for the SR80, but did not end up using that particular model as the base. However, when the headphones were put up for sale, it was marketed based on the SR80. Mr. Grado basically said he can't say what model they are based on, but they are pretty close to what they look like.

Apparently, due to legal constraints, Grado can't really clarify the situation themselves, but I wanted to put the information out there so people don't deprive themselves of the opportunity to get a set of neat headphones that will probably not be around for long. Per Mr. Grado, there were like 300 of each model produced. It also made me sad to see Grado getting hit for producing models that were just money grabs, when the price-to-value ratio on these phones seems pretty similar to other phones at a similar price range in their lineup.

Mr. Grado kept calling it "pokey-mans", which made me chuckle, but the level of customer service shown to call a customer about a random pair of limited-release headphones that probably represent very little of their bottom-line blew my mind. A+ for Grado.

Disclaimer: I own these phones and I really enjoy them.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #50,425 of 65,714
Cross-posted from Facebook:

So there has been a little discussion of the limited edition Pokemon Center x Grado Labs collaboration. There has been some consternation demonstrated here and in other discussion areas that these headphones are basically just rebadged SR80s with an added Pokemon tax.

The information posted on the Pokemon Center website seemed inconsistent with itself and with what these headphones actually seemed to be, so I reached out to Grado Labs via Facebook Messenger to try and figure out what was going on. I was surprised today to receive a phone call from John Grado, from Grado Labs, to explain what was actually going on with these headphones.

Per Mr. Grado, during the early discussions between the Pokemon Center and Grado, they initially sent over samples/specs for the SR80, but did not end up using that particular model as the base. However, when the headphones were put up for sale, it was marketed based on the SR80. Mr. Grado basically said he can't say what model they are based on, but they are pretty close to what they look like.

Apparently, due to legal constraints, Grado can't really clarify the situation themselves, but I wanted to put the information out there so people don't deprive themselves of the opportunity to get a set of neat headphones that will probably not be around for long. Per Mr. Grado, there were like 300 of each model produced. It also made me sad to see Grado getting hit for producing models that were just money grabs, when the price-to-value ratio on these phones seems pretty similar to other phones at a similar price range in their lineup.

Mr. Grado kept calling it "pokey-mans", which made me chuckle, but the level of customer service shown to call a customer about a random pair of limited-release headphones that probably represent very little of their bottom-line blew my mind. A+ for Grado.

Disclaimer: I own these phones and I really enjoy them.
Thanks for this! Which of the "Pokey-man" models do you have and do you have any other Grado's to compare them against?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #50,426 of 65,714
Thanks for this! Which of the "Pokey-man" models do you have and do you have any other Grado's to compare them against?

I have an SR80, SR125, and borrowed an SR225 to A/B. I have the $295 aluminum/maple PokeBall headphone. I felt like it outperformed the other three headphones I compared it to. I feel like, value-wise, it lies somewhere between the 225/325. It's definitely not a rip-off at that price point.

I feel like, with the Prestige line, as you are moving up in the lineup you are paying more for an improvement in build quality with a "deepening" of the Grado house sound. That is definitely what I see with these phones.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #50,427 of 65,714
Mr. Grado basically said he can't say what model they are based on, but they are pretty close to what they look like.

My theory (with no supporting evidence) is that the expensive wood Pokéball model ($496) uses RS2e drivers, but with a slightly larger wooden cup. So maybe an RS2e with a slightly wider soundstage. The grill is painted plastic instead of the metal one. It was convenient for them to do this as may have had some leftover RS2e drivers before the switch to the RS2x.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #50,429 of 65,714
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #50,430 of 65,714
Hello, wound like to know if there is any chance buying new GH4 from Grado? As of now this isn't available on sale on their website!
TIA ..

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/limited-editions/item/109-gh4
I agree that I really doubt they have any Heritage models left at the factory, hope I am wrong. There was a GH1 for sale on the classified a few days ago.

Of course do reach out to Grado to make sure. The recommendation to try some Grado dealers like Todd the Vinyl Junkie in case they might is also a good thought.

Good luck…..👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back