Grado Fan Club!
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #49,878 of 65,679
I've been considering the element 2, how well does it pair with the hemp?
It has a 6.3mm jack?
Very nice. How are the measurements on that JDS Element ?

(I'll show myself out) :wink:
Average DAC, Outstanding amp. but then the amp bit we always knew was most important, probably to an uncertainty of >50% if that helps?

I like it a lot, it goes very loud without obvious distortion. It's very foot tapping, the hemps are well suited, snare slams are great on any Grado, the Element + hemp is a rock monster!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #49,879 of 65,679
I ‘m sure you agree with that:
Decisions based on statistics or measurements are based on what we‘ve learned from them, not on their raw data.
So the qualities of our decisions are based on our knowledge, our qualification.
We ok so far?
Another thing I‘m sure we agree - Grados, phones and cartridges sound good.
(I really need to get my hands on a Grado tonearm…)
So the question is: Can we prove by measurement(s) why they do so?
I have some Ideas, but for sure… I can‘t.

So let’s look at it the other way ‘round.
If someone tests a thing that sounds good, looks at his measurements and says: They do not sound good, because my measurements don’t show me what I, let’s say expected.
What am I then?
Let‘s be polite. I‘m stucked.
No more able to realize that there is more than I know.
Good selfconciousness.
Great feeling.
Things are clear, fixed.
I decided to have my ideal.
Ok, so my horizons are set.
Can’t go any further.
But what‘s it?
I have many. Their limits are wide. I can live being a flat-earth grounded one.
I‘m safe. Can’t be wrong.
Things are clear, fixed.

Know what? This is gut feeling.
The only thing I really disdain.
Now there is another questio. Did I write all this out of gut feeling?
Hm, do I think Grado Headphones are the best in the world.
I really love the, they are great, but the very best? Ok, that’s not the case.
Second: Do I think Grado headphones need my support, my protection?
They sell far more than a hundred thousand a year.
Sad feeling, but they don’t need me.
Third: Am I wrong because the reviewer is right about this special item?
Let‘s look at other brands. He does also ‘not recommend‘‚ Diana V2 And AKG K240. And some more.
I don’t think I have to say anything more.

to take up the cudgels on behalf of the reviewer, I can’t really dislike his stuff, because:
- He is trying.
- He is polite by using ‘can‘t recommend‘. I have read more… let’s say other words elsewhere.

Measurement is good, important. I couldn’t have made the circuits/ interfaces I designed in my life without measurements. I couldn‘t have fixed the few thousand others. We couldn’t have reached the moon without it. It saves lives in medicine. It made vaccines possible. Currently more important than ever. Even the arts get more and more into measurements. But we are more. Will ever be.
This makes us good craftsman, artists, scientists.
We are able to develop.

I don’t agree here! Ears are incredibly good measurement instruments.
Far better than eyes. Or any technical thing we developed yet.
As with every instrument we need to learn how to use it, how to interpret data.
In case of such gigantic possibilities as provided by our ears… a lifetime long.
I ‘m sure you agree with that:
Decisions based on statistics or measurements are based on what we‘ve learned from them, not on their raw data.
So the qualities of our decisions are based on our knowledge, our qualification.
We ok so far?

Absolutely agree!

So the question is: Can we prove by measurement(s) why they do so?

Yes, if we know what we need to measure. In most industrial cases this is the least obvious challenge.

If someone tests a thing that sounds good, looks at his measurements and says: They do not sound good, because my measurements don’t show me what I, let’s say expected.
What am I then?

Bamboozled. That's the nature of scientific investigation, so go back and re-appraise your method of validating your hypothesis. It's a cruel world!

Measurement is good, important. I couldn’t have made the circuits/ interfaces I designed in my life without measurements. I couldn‘t have fixed the few thousand others. We couldn’t have reached the moon without it. It saves lives in medicine. It made vaccines possible. Currently more important than ever. Even the arts get more and more into measurements. But we are more. Will ever be.
This makes us good craftsman, artists, scientists.

Yes. Life literally depends on reliable data, I could give lots of examples that are far more poignant than the mere trivia of hifi music reproduction. Traceability to a recognised standard artefect is important if you wish to make a claim of any value.
Disclosure: I'm not a metrologist, I'm am a materials and manufacturing engineer by trade. I just happen to work for a metrology institute for last 5 years or so.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #49,881 of 65,679
Me a little drunk again... Using the GH1.. Man, killing the GH2. Why? Faster. Forward. Bass in the right amount. If you see one for sale, buy.
I totally get (hear) what you're saying about the GH1...Grado hit it out of the park with their first GH series, but he GH2 is just different and just as good in its own right.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #49,882 of 65,679
been playing around with my headphones this weekend a bit. The Hemp always impresses me. Never understood the detractors. I swear they have never heard the Hemp for the criticisms that they throw around at it. The fun and engaging nature of it is so good. Makes me more involved with the music rather than sitting there to find the small nuances that I catch myself doing with the LCD X.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #49,883 of 65,679
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #49,885 of 65,679
Nope. No tubes and no vinyl 😳
Same here. Vinyl was fun for awhile for me but Got burnt out on my records within a year and couldn’t keep up with the cost of new vinyl, cleaner, needles and upgrades. I have transitioned back to my phone, but prefer physical media. I have had no desire to hear anything above cd quality and cds would be the way to go for me if I could only go one way and keep up with the cost.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #49,886 of 65,679
Same here. Vinyl was fun for awhile for me but Got burnt out on my records within a year and couldn’t keep up with the cost of new vinyl, cleaner, needles and upgrades. I have transitioned back to my phone, but prefer physical media. I have had no desire to hear anything above cd quality and cds would be the way to go for me if I could only go one way and keep up with the cost.
Yes. 10-50€ For a record is too much.
So starting from scratch costs too much.
So digital is the best for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back