Grado Fan Club!
Oct 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4,906 of 66,270
Quote:
Taking apart the GS1ks is a bit outside of my comfort zone 
tongue.gif

Best done late at night while well lubricated!

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #4,908 of 66,270
Quote:

That's exactly why I want to get Martin's roadblocks. If you do a regular headband replacement with the stock grados, you have to either stick it back into the block and just hope it stays, or you have to glue it. Martin's roadblocks have two tiny screws that maintain friction on the headband and keep it in place. I like that much better. I wish I liked the look or Martin's headbands more, though....I think I want the Onyx from headphone lounge....that headband looks great

Martin received his rod blocks and gimbals separately. He started with wood gimbals and rod blocks but that was too much work. He then contracted out first for metal gimbals and soon after metal rod blocks. The first gimbals one just slid into the plastic rod blocks, like Symphones and Headphile. As such he might sell you just two rod blocks, which you can use with your existing gimbals and headband. 
Martin is a genius on a wood lathe more so than with leather IMO. I got the Onyx and it's really nice. Not sure I'd want the plusher Manta.
Ask Martin for rod blocks. That would be a sweet upgrade for RS1 too!

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4,909 of 66,270
Why the hell am I calling them roadblocks? 
redface.gif

That might be the way to go, cause my real motivation is to have a more secure fit for the headband....I don't mind keeping the stock gimbals in place...that might be the best way to go for sure. 

It looks like his ROD blocks also have a screw assembly to secure the rods from sliding up and down, as well...that's perfect, cuase I will admit that does get to be annoying with my Grados. They always stay in place once they're on my head, but when I take them off and put them on the stands, they always lose their position. Securing them down a bit once I find a good fit is a nice touch. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4,910 of 66,270
Quote:
Why the hell am I calling them roadblocks? 
redface.gif

That might be the way to go, cause my real motivation is to have a more secure fit for the headband....I don't mind keeping the stock gimbals in place...that might be the best way to go for sure. 

It looks like his ROD blocks also have a screw assembly to secure the rods from sliding up and down, as well...that's perfect, cuase I will admit that does get to be annoying with my Grados. They always stay in place once they're on my head, but when I take them off and put them on the stands, they always lose their position. Securing them down a bit once I find a good fit is a nice touch. 

Zip ties are your friend. Get the smallest you can find and strap them on as tight as possible. Cheap, light and strong. The metal Grados are too heavy for the bushings and they eventually start to slip. Plastic and wood cups are lighter and hold out better. Another option are 1/8" set screw collars (Google is your friend) but with these you have to take off the rod tips. The zip ties are more simple and you can move them up and down easily but they keep their place when told to.

Little black zip tie working hard...

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #4,911 of 66,270
Quote:
The headband is pretty much held on by glue and tight tolerances between the band and the plastic.  I have a hunch the right side is held in more strongly than the left side (you can see the blocks aren't exactly identical) so stick with the left side block.  As long as you can break the glue it's really easy to remove the headband.  Looking at it closely and having experienced this happening unintentionally, as long as you're smart about it, I have a hard time seeing how one could mess it up and break something without exerting extreme force or using hand tools (which are completely unnecessary).

Thanks!

I am not sure if I am going to do anything to the 80's now or not. I am thinking of upgrading to either the PS-500 or RS-1. I might just wait till I get them. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4,912 of 66,270
Quote:
Zip ties are your friend. Get the smallest you can find and strap them on as tight as possible. Cheap, light and strong. The metal Grados are too heavy for the bushings and they eventually start to slip. Plastic and wood cups are lighter and hold out better. Another option are 1/8" set screw collars (Google is your friend) but with these you have to take off the rod tips. The zip ties are more simple and you can move them up and down easily but they keep their place when told to.

Little black zip tie working hard...

How are the rod caps secured? Are the glued on? They seem to be on there pretty damn tight. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,913 of 66,270
Quote:

How are the rod caps secured? Are the glued on? They seem to be on there pretty damn tight. 

I think heat shrunk, but just guessing. I get them off by just pulling them against the rod blocks until they pop off but then they are loose when you put them on so I dab a little glue stick so they stay on. i never tried hot water but that makes sense. I'd caution against warping or stretching them, so not too hot...

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4,914 of 66,270
Quote:
I think heat shrunk, but just guessing. I get them off by just pulling them against the rod blocks until they pop off but then they are loose when you put them on so I dab a little glue stick so they stay on. i never tried hot water but that makes sense. I'd caution against warping or stretching them, so not too hot...

I wonder if Grado would send me another pair if I wrecked 'em trying to take them off. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #4,916 of 66,270
Quote:
Glue.  Did you not see my post above?

Nope, I sure didn't....thanks! I had asked Larry at Headphile in the meantime, and he confirmed they were glued on, as well. 

Also, just heard back from Martin....he said it's not hard to remove the pins on the stock gimbals to release the cups by using pliers. I wouldn't really care about damaging the screws, as long as I dont muck up the wood. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #4,917 of 66,270
Quote:

Pour a filled cup of boiling water and stick just the rod tip in the water for a few seconds.  When you take it out you should be able to slip off the caps very easily.

The headband is pretty much held on by glue and tight tolerances between the band and the plastic.  I have a hunch the right side is held in more strongly than the left side (you can see the blocks aren't exactly identical) so stick with the left side block.  As long as you can break the glue it's really easy to remove the headband.  Looking at it closely and having experienced this happening unintentionally, as long as you're smart about it, I have a hard time seeing how one could mess it up and break something without exerting extreme force or using hand tools (which are completely unnecessary).

You actually didn't mention that the rod end caps are glued, just that you use boiling water to remove. We understand the rod blocks are glued to the metal headband, but when I pop off the caps I don't see any glue on mine.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #4,918 of 66,270
Quote:

I wonder if Grado would send me another pair if I wrecked 'em trying to take them off. 

Yes, Grado will send you a "another pair" of GS1K if you wreck your end cap :)
Seriously they will send you new caps if you loose one.
There are also lots of broken plastic gimbals around that still have end caps; or you can make your own out of heat shrink...

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4,919 of 66,270
I got a nice mod today for my Grados. MAD Super 2 w/ NOS GE 5 star tubes.
Holy Cow, this improves bass more than sticky tack!
Long time no tubes! It is going to be a good night!

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,920 of 66,270
Quote:
Just had my first Grado moment on the GS1ks...

Sir Willard White - "Lazy Bones"

I don't know what is going on, but these have AMAZING synergy with the Meier amp, even with just the iPhone as my source. These may yet surpass the 500s, I'm not sure now....will report back this weekend.  This track sounds *stunning*

Just got caught up on recent posts on my favorite thread-Congrats on your GS1 acquisition! Sir Willard White, very cool. I bet you would enjoy the "John Coltrane with Johnny Hartman" album coming through that setup-another unique voice plus you get Trane!
gs1000.gif

Quote:
I got a nice mod today for my Grados. MAD Super 2 w/ NOS GE 5 star tubes.
Holy Cow, this improves bass more than sticky tack!
Long time no tubes! It is going to be a good night!

Another great acquisition! Grados do indeed love the right tubes.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back