Grado Fan Club!
Oct 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4,892 of 66,270
Quote:
How many did you order
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL

lol, can you imagine? 

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #4,893 of 66,270
Anyone know how easy/hard it is to get the ear cups out of the gimbals on the GS1ks? The gimbal is a full circle so it doesn't pull apart at all. Are the little pins on the side glued/screwed/other? 

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #4,895 of 66,270
i had great business dealing with Headphone.com(Headroom) as with many other people.

my first non-retail headphone purchase of my Grado SR80i's

they are a trusted site, as Grado's policy on online orders, warranty is not entitled if you buy from auction sites and various other sites, ebay, craigslist, Amazon is now on the list probably but email grado to check.

My understanding is that Amazon neither directly sells Grado, nor is an authorized dealer. Authorized online retailers that I know of include:

J&R
GoodCans
Headroom
ListenUp

Of those, J&R is my preferential pick. :xf_eek:

There are many flavors of the 325... here's a post that clears things up a bit

SR-325 in black plastic housing

SR-325i in golden aluminum

SR-325is in chrome/nickel

SR-325is in satin

That list was corrected - the plastic 325 are likely not real, and parbaked showed us his gorgeous black aluminum 325. There are, however, black plastic SR-300s. :xf_eek:

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to get the ear cups out of the gimbals on the GS1ks? The gimbal is a full circle so it doesn't pull apart at all. Are the little pins on the side glued/screwed/other? 

No idea, never thought to myself "let's rip apart my RS-1" lol (the GS1k uses the same metal gimbals). The Gilmore site didn't have any tips on removing the metal gimbals (they had it for the plastic ones :rolleyes:). I'm guessing that Martin Custom Audio can probably do that for you, but beyond that I have no idea. Maybe get a flashlight out and look in the through the back - it was put together with the wood as one piece, so it can come apart. It's just a question of doing it without destroying the wood. :ph34r:

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #4,896 of 66,270
Quote:
No idea, never thought to myself "let's rip apart my RS-1" lol (the GS1k uses the same metal gimbals). The Gilmore site didn't have any tips on removing the metal gimbals (they had it for the plastic ones
rolleyes.gif
). I'm guessing that Martin Custom Audio can probably do that for you, but beyond that I have no idea. Maybe get a flashlight out and look in the through the back - it was put together with the wood as one piece, so it can come apart. It's just a question of doing it without destroying the wood.
ph34r.gif

If it's not a simple process I'll probably just leave it be and upgrade just the headband....would be nice to have some of those beautiful roadblacks and gimbals from MCA though! :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4,899 of 66,270
Quote:
My understanding is that Amazon neither directly sells Grado, nor is an authorized dealer. 

I got my Grados fulfilled by Amazon from 4ourEars who claims to be an authorized dealer (I didn't check). 

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #4,900 of 66,270
Quote:
Can't you replace the locks without replacing the rods?

If I can get the rod caps off I probably could...hopefully someone has experience with them cause I'm not going to experiment lol

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4,902 of 66,270
Quote:

Where is you sense of adventure? 
popcorn.gif

hey man, replacing the headband, roadblocks and gimbals is as adventurous as I get!! lol  Taking apart the GS1ks is a bit outside of my comfort zone 
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,903 of 66,270
Actually probably more adventurous than me with that much. I was going to replace the headband on my SR80i so I decided to see how hard it was to get the band out. When it came to twisting the plastic pieces they seemed a little more attached then the pressure I wanted to twist with. So I quit there and decided the stock headband was good enough. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4,904 of 66,270
Quote:

If I can get the rod caps off I probably could...hopefully someone has experience with them cause I'm not going to experiment lol

Pour a filled cup of boiling water and stick just the rod tip in the water for a few seconds.  When you take it out you should be able to slip off the caps very easily.

Quote:
Actually probably more adventurous than me with that much. I was going to replace the headband on my SR80i so I decided to see how hard it was to get the band out. When it came to twisting the plastic pieces they seemed a little more attached then the pressure I wanted to twist with. So I quit there and decided the stock headband was good enough. 
biggrin.gif

The headband is pretty much held on by glue and tight tolerances between the band and the plastic.  I have a hunch the right side is held in more strongly than the left side (you can see the blocks aren't exactly identical) so stick with the left side block.  As long as you can break the glue it's really easy to remove the headband.  Looking at it closely and having experienced this happening unintentionally, as long as you're smart about it, I have a hard time seeing how one could mess it up and break something without exerting extreme force or using hand tools (which are completely unnecessary).

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4,905 of 66,270
Quote:
biggrin.gif

That's exactly why I want to get Martin's roadblocks. If you do a regular headband replacement with the stock grados, you have to either stick it back into the block and just hope it stays, or you have to glue it. Martin's roadblocks have two tiny screws that maintain friction on the headband and keep it in place. I like that much better. I wish I liked the look or Martin's headbands more, though....I think I want the Onyx from headphone lounge....that headband looks great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back