Grado Fan Club!
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #47,866 of 65,636
Do the Hemp phones sound like anything else from Grado . I own the RS2E was wondering if there was enough of a difference in sound to get those ?

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #47,867 of 65,636
I just sold my RS2e after moving up to the PS500e, and haven't heard the Hemp, but a number of people say the Hemp sounds closest to the RS2e compared to other Grado phones.

One thing to consider is that the current Hemp is a limited edition. There are rumors that it may re-appear in the Grado line under a new name or designation (??), so if you are the collector type, you might want one. If, like me, you want to headphones mostly for the music experience, then the Hemp will likely not add much to your "sonic" palatte.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #47,868 of 65,636
Do the Hemp phones sound like anything else from Grado . I own the RS2E was wondering if there was enough of a difference in sound to get those ?

Personally, I don't think the RS2e sounds like the Hemps. I find the hemps to be a little darker and less treble forward than the RS2e, with more bass presence/impact. But I haven't listened to either extensively, Ive only tested both before/after my modifications. To me it sounds closest to the SR325x and maybe the 80x, although I find the 80x to be less close to the hemps because it lacks a little bit in treble resolution compared to the 325x and Hemp.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #47,869 of 65,636
What do the elders of the Grado forum recommend for a closed-back with the signature of a Grado? I would happily pay $1000 for a closed-back Hemp, if sounded even close.
I'm trying the Aeon 2 Noire now... my search continues.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #47,870 of 65,636
Hey now!

I notice the the hemp has been sold out for a week or 2 on 4ourears....Do you think is the end of availability?

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #47,871 of 65,636
What do the elders of the Grado forum recommend for a closed-back with the signature of a Grado? I would happily pay $1000 for a closed-back Hemp, if sounded even close.
I'm trying the Aeon 2 Noire now... my search continues.
Ath-esw9, ath-w5000, dt48a

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #47,872 of 65,636
I just sold my RS2e after moving up to the PS500e, and haven't heard the Hemp, but a number of people say the Hemp sounds closest to the RS2e compared to other Grado phones.

One thing to consider is that the current Hemp is a limited edition. There are rumors that it may re-appear in the Grado line under a new name or designation (??), so if you are the collector type, you might want one. If, like me, you want to headphones mostly for the music experience, then the Hemp will likely not add much to your "sonic" palatte.
Hi , what's your views on the ps500e compared to the Rs2e you sold. , I have the Rs2e, and have looking at the ps500e. But keeping my rs2e whichever I buy. Thanks for any info. Like sound , fit, pros and cons if any.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #47,874 of 65,636
I would say yes. Rich has said many times that limited editions typically come out every summer. Time for a new one IMO, Hemp is done.
Ruthieandjohn introduce the Grado Old Milwaukee Light Headphones Limited Edition... ear cups carefully crafted from the broken bottle bottoms that once held Old Milwaukee Beer (but that were emptied into the mouths of the craftsmen!)

These fine glass-cupped headphones, the first truly closed headphones from Grado, remain infused with the increasingly-stinky dirty glass permanently imbued with the stench of ageing Old Milwaukee, reminding listeners of the dangers of drinking old beer.

No high-falutin' hoity-toity craft beer here, this is the original beer as enjoyed by the ubiquitous Joe Sixpack.

"Old Milwaukee Light Grado headphones... the lowest common denominator in headphone design!"

Available for 99 cents each... act now and we'll include a second pair for free - just pay separate postage and handling

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #47,876 of 65,636
Hi , what's your views on the ps500e compared to the Rs2e you sold. , I have the Rs2e, and have looking at the ps500e. But keeping my rs2e whichever I buy. Thanks for any info. Like sound , fit, pros and cons if any.

I've also had the RS2e and PS500 for quite a while (at least a year).
My pick of the two is the 500e. It has more punch, more bass - and very solid bass at that,
great detail, and a deeper and broader soundstage. One of my favorite Grado headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #47,879 of 65,636
I’m also not really convinced about the new cable. Trade off between less tangle but also less flexible. However on the go I always route these (too) long Grado cables with the belt in my jeans with the DAP in my pocket. That works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back