Grado Fan Club!
Sep 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #4,606 of 66,264
Quote:
The circuits are not really that similar. But people often compare them because the RA1's internal parts are about the same price as a CMoy (taking the enclosures out of it).

Also I believe the RA-1 is hard wired, while the CMOYs use PCBs of varying quality. I recommend JDS because his PCB is really good, though I'd prefer w/out the bass boost. The main similarity is that these are all opamp based. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #4,607 of 66,264
Quote:
Also I believe the RA-1 is hard wired, while the CMOYs use PCBs of varying quality. I recommend JDS because his PCB is really good, though I'd prefer w/out the bass boost. The main similarity is that these are all opamp based. 

whoops, there' a pcb inside the RA-1 as well, but not everything is soldered to it as in the cMoy

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4,608 of 66,264
I have a question regarding which grado headphone I should buy. My budget is 700 dollars, so I was planning on getting the RS1i, however, I read reviews that said the RS1i didn't have the energetic grado house sound which is what I am looking for. I listen only to rock and metal and I want an energetic and exciting sound which makes your rock music sound alive and in your face. Will the RS1i give that exciting and aggresive sound I'm looking for which grado's are famous for, or should I get a different grado? People said that the SR225i is the best grado headphone in my price range. Do you think I will enjoy the SR225i more than the RS1i? I would like to address that I want forward mids and a treble that is exciting, but non fatiguing. The RS1i is known to have very forward midrange and non fatiguing highs, the SR225i is said to have a pretty exciting treble that is aggressive but non fatiguing. Which one should I get?

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #4,609 of 66,264
Quote:
I have a question regarding which grado headphone I should buy. My budget is 700 dollars, so I was planning on getting the RS1i, however, I read reviews that said the RS1i didn't have the energetic grado house sound which is what I am looking for. I listen only to rock and metal and I want an energetic and exciting sound which makes your rock music sound alive and in your face. Will the RS1i give that exciting and aggresive sound I'm looking for which grado's are famous for, or should I get a different grado? People said that the SR225i is the best grado headphone in my price range. Do you think I will enjoy the SR225i more than the RS1i? I would like to address that I want forward mids and a treble that is exciting, but non fatiguing. The RS1i is known to have very forward midrange and non fatiguing highs, the SR225i is said to have a pretty exciting treble that is aggressive but non fatiguing. Which one should I get?

I would get the RS1 without question. My 2nd choice for your music would be the Alessandro MS2 ($300) or the 225i. The 225i sound great and are very comfortable (light like the RS1 & 2). The only thing I don't like about the 225i is the vinyl headband which is, of course, replaceable. I haven't tried the PS500 but I'd start with Grado house sound e.g. SR or RS

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #4,610 of 66,264
Quote:
I would get the RS1 without question. My 2nd choice for your music would be the Alessandro MS2 ($300) or the 225i. The 225i sound great and are very comfortable (light like the RS1 & 2). The only thing I don't like about the 225i is the vinyl headband which is, of course, replaceable. I haven't tried the PS500 but I'd start with Grado house sound e.g. SR or RS

Are you talking about the RS1 or RS1i? People say the RS1 had the grado sound while the RS1i is toned down I think. This just my speculation though, lots of people love the RS1i.

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #4,611 of 66,264
Quote:

I'd say you can't go wrong with either the RS-1 or the PS500. Arguably the two best headphones that Grado makes. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4,614 of 66,264
Quote:
Are you talking about the RS1 or RS1i? People say the RS1 had the grado sound while the RS1i is toned down I think. This just my speculation though, lots of people love the RS1i.

The discussions on differences between old/new/pink/buttoned/Vintage A or B etc RS1 / RS1i are very nuanced. All sound like Grados. Any would be excellent.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,615 of 66,264
Quote:

I'd say you can't go wrong with either the RS-1 or the PS500. Arguably the two best headphones that Grado makes. 

The PS1000 aren't bad either

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4,616 of 66,264
Sep 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #4,617 of 66,264
How does the RS1i compare with the 325i?  I'm considering getting woodies, but I want a pair that I'm not going to wish I had upgraded first.  I currently have the 325is and am loving them.  I'd rather spend a bit to upgrade and get a pair that are really worth woodying than have regrets later though.
I've read all the reviews raving about the Magnum drivers, and I've considered just building a pair of cans around those (ala the Full Woody Jacket),   I think it'd be cool to have completely custom headphones, but then I'd be losing that Grado sound.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4,620 of 66,264

I'm pretty sure that the RA-1 are hand-built yes. I remember reading a while ago that Grado employs a single employee/engineering/etc that just builds the headphone and phono amps (the enclosures are done out of house) all day. The RA-1 uses the same JRC4556 that the O2 is based around, but they have different gain and volume control stages. The CMOY uses a TI chip (OPA2304 I think); iirc there's an RA-1 clone schematic that is based on a National chip with similar performance to the JRC4556 as well.

The RS-1 are like the pinnacle/epitome of classic Grado sound. I don't even want to imagine what you've been reading to the contrary. :xf_eek: The SR-225 are not in the same league by a mile. I would suggest the RS-1 (or RS-1i) absolutely - differences between revisions are not this huge "night and day end of the world universe changing life altering" experience; as is true of many other claims made here. :xf_eek:

The PS1000 aren't bad either

lol. That's only like twice and a half over his budget. No biggie. :bigsmile_face:

How does the RS1i compare with the 325i?  I'm considering getting woodies, but I want a pair that I'm not going to wish I had upgraded first.  I currently have the 325is and am loving them.  I'd rather spend a bit to upgrade and get a pair that are really worth woodying than have regrets later though.
I've read all the reviews raving about the Magnum drivers, and I've considered just building a pair of cans around those (ala the Full Woody Jacket),   I think it'd be cool to have completely custom headphones, but then I'd be losing that Grado sound.

The 325 are harsher/more aggressive - I would not buy an RS series to dump the enclosure though. As we discussed a while ago; the 225 are the sweet-spot if you just want Grado drivers. If you're going to use them out of the box though, the RS-1 are an improvement over the 325. But again, I wouldn't spend the extra $400 just to throw those wood enclosures in the trash. It's not worth it.

burn money but burn it with style

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back