Grado Fan Club!
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #4,591 of 66,264
Quote:
The one who bought from the first seller is doing it right. 
biggrin.gif

IMO it's a nicer story to buy them for $350 and keep/enjoy them.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4,592 of 66,264
yep but the first one is working 80% (whatever it means) and the second is ok...so...how much did it cost back then? The stuff reminds me of the Clockwork Orange film for some reason I can't explain...

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #4,593 of 66,264
Modded my SR80i with the Headphone Lounge mahogany cups, easy mod, less than 15 minutes from start to mess clean up.  I did it for the wood look and the fact I can't leave anything alone, I mod computer, rifles, diesels, gas engines and now headphones... it may be a sickness.
 I was pleasantly surprised how it opened up the little 80s, the bass is warmer and the over all stage is much airyier.  My first impression is that it seems to have tamed the brightness a bit as the opening riff of Judas Priest Painkiller doesn't require me to be peeled off of the ceiling anymore.
They also look amazing, I am never a fan of the cheap plastic look.  I have been quite happy with the quality of the couple of orders I have received from the Headphone Lounge.
Now the question is do I transfer over the SR80 button or leave the screens naked?

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #4,594 of 66,264
Quote:
Modded my SR80i with the Headphone Lounge mahogany cups, easy mod, less than 15 minutes from start to mess clean up.  I did it for the wood look and the fact I can't leave anything alone, I mod computer, rifles, diesels, gas engines and now headphones... it may be a sickness.
 I was pleasantly surprised how it opened up the little 80s, the bass is warmer and the over all stage is much airyier.  My first impression is that it seems to have tamed the brightness a bit as the opening riff of Judas Priest Painkiller doesn't require me to be peeled off of the ceiling anymore.
They also look amazing, I am never a fan of the cheap plastic look.  I have been quite happy with the quality of the couple of orders I have received from the Headphone Lounge.
Now the question is do I transfer over the SR80 button or leave the screens naked?

I vote no button!

Also, how do they sound compared to your RS-2?

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4,595 of 66,264
I pulled the button off the old cups and I agree, looks like crap.

I will do head to head testing tonight with the GS1000s and the RS2s.  At the very worst it will give me several hours of listening pleasure.
I'll let you know.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4,596 of 66,264
Quote:
yep but the first one is working 80% (whatever it means) and the second is ok...so...how much did it cost back then? The stuff reminds me of the Clockwork Orange film for some reason I can't explain...

The HP-1 were selling for $595 originally.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #4,599 of 66,264
So I got my adapter in the mail, and my 325is sound absolutely amazing.  I guess it didn't help the sound quality before that the connection was going laptop > receiver > headphones
Grado is inflicting unspeakable acts of pleasure upon my soul right now <3
but now....I feel like every guiter string grips my heart, every drum beat bangs at my soul, and the voice flys me to peaks I never knew I needed before

If they are doing this now....I tremble at the thought of them with woodies....or a DAC (I only have a crappy integrated sound card.)  What is a great DAC for 325is?  Maybe a few different price points?

Adter just two hours, the flats are really hurting my ears.  Waiting until Tuesday for my G-cushes is going to be torture.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #4,600 of 66,264
Quote:
So I got my adapter in the mail, and my 325is sound absolutely amazing.  I guess it didn't help the sound quality before that the connection was going laptop > receiver > headphones
Grado is inflicting unspeakable acts of pleasure upon my soul right now <3
but now....I feel like every guiter string grips my heart, every drum beat bangs at my soul, and the voice flys me to peaks I never knew I needed before

If they are doing this now....I tremble at the thought of them with woodies....or a DAC (I only have a crappy integrated sound card.)  What is a great DAC for 325is?  Maybe a few different price points?

Adter just two hours, the flats are really hurting my ears.  Waiting until Tuesday for my G-cushes is going to be torture.

popcorn.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4,601 of 66,264
Sold my SR60 a while ago. After listening to a few mid to high end big cans, kinda miss the Grados. Managed to secure an RS1i from b&s, hopefully will be back to Grado Club soon :)

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,602 of 66,264
OK, I think I am officially a Grado fan. Now I am afraid this may hurt my wallet in the years to come.

I just upgraded my SR80i's with a pair of SR225i's drivers, and IMO it was absolutely worth it. I feel they outperform my well burn in SR80i's just out of the box (they better do it 
angry_face.gif
). Can't wait to hear how they sound in a couple of weeks. 

All I can think about now is how they higher end Grados might sound. I am going to try to keep the 225s for a while, and in the future try some recable or woody cups; maybe both.

Quick question; what do you think of these CMOYs: http://myworld.ebay.com/ampedup77?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 ? 

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4,603 of 66,264
Sep 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #4,605 of 66,264
^ Thanks. I will take a look at that. I'd might to try one I these.
I was thinking about the eBay cMoy because they are suposed to be very similar to the Grado RA1 amp, but the jds looks promising too.

The circuits are not really that similar. But people often compare them because the RA1's internal parts are about the same price as a CMoy (taking the enclosures out of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back