Grado Fan Club!
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #46,096 of 65,787
Does anyone have a GS1000i they want to sell?

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #46,097 of 65,787
I wonder, am I the only one who tightens his Grados? Seems like everyone talks about having this mega loose fit where they're just gently resting but I got mine where the band is barely taking any weight. I dunno, I just enjoy the "hold" I guess.
Same here!

EDIT Should add: With the standard pads on my RS2e and SR125. I can't stand the 'S cushions' anywhere near my ears! Horribly irritating

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #46,098 of 65,787
Grado loves those upper mids, and at first they can be a little jarring. The wild part is that after you go back to other stuff, everything sounds so unengaging. I'd been in love with my Beyers but then I put 'em on following a day with the Hemp and had this feeling of "what the heck this isn't how music is supposed to sound."
Exactly! When I switch back to HD600 or MDR-Z7, it doesn’t sound bad, just quite a distance from the stage. The Hemps make you feel like you’re on stage with the musicians. I was listening to a live Alison Krauss recording and when the audience gets into it, that’s when it hits you...you’re literally on stage. This is great for a lot of music, but not so much for others (orchestral/Classical). Then I can just reach for my Senns or Beyers.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #46,099 of 65,787
I notice 2 things, Marantz HD DAC1, what are your thoughts? Westone - seriously try the BMasters!
The Marantz and my T1s are a match made in heaven. So far, I think the Hemps sound really good with them, although I haven’t heard them on anything else. I could imagine them being sublime on a nice sweet tube amp. As for the Westones - they are my go to portable when I’m traveling for non critical listening. Never heard of the BMasters...enlighten me.

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #46,100 of 65,787
Let me preface this by saying that i use these headphones with a Chord Mojo which in itself has a very lean detailed and laid back sound. A more "boomier" DAC/Amp like the OPPO HA-2 would shift my findings. For example the White does not sound all too great with it. Everything is say here is of course IMHO!

Treble

Most -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Least
SR325e -> RS2e -> PS500e -> White

The SR325e has that kind of treble which tickles you ear. Tiniest details and fine dynamics get to be heard. With certain amps and sound materials this can become annoying. With my Chord Mojo it is however very enjoyable. The RS2e is pretty much the same but one notch subdued. Details are still there but less "in your face". PS500e and White are another notch down to a level which non-Grado fans might even consider "normal". It's no surprise, none of these Grados lack treble. They are all great treble-wise to my ears.

Mids

Least -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Most

The White is the master of mids. It makes me hear new details in songs i thought i knew well. The PS500e is similar but one or two notches behind. Compared to those two the SR325e nearly has no mids. The RS2e sits between the latter two. My favourites for mids are the White and the PS500e. Especialy the White is great for observing voices.

Bass

Most and least also goes hand in hand with "detailed", the more bass the less detailed. The SR325e being the extreme with its very detailed "bodyless" bass and the White being the other extreme with lots of bass body but not much detail. The PS500e is my favourite, it has a very punchy bass full of body, still has some details and even some sub bass. RS2e and PS500e are my favourite in this department, depending on sound material.

Soundstage and overall feeling

If you like a big soundstage then the White is for you. The sound also feels less "direct", probably because the drivers are further away from your ears. The White puts you inside a cozy tube-y world where nothing is annoying. It's great for relaxed listening but not so detail-orientated in the highs and lows and focusses on the mids. But it doesn't matter, overall it's a great package for fun listening.

The soundstage of the other three is pretty much the same, it's still a reasonable amount of separation but not as much as with the White. The sound seems more direct, you are closer to what's happening. The SR325e is a super finicky magnifying glass for sounds, often you get more details than you need. But it is enjoyable in its own rights. The RS2e is a reasonable and nicer version of the SR series and so is the PS500e which adds more mids and a punchy deep bass to the mix.

So which one is the best?

Listening to only one of these headphones for some days makes me get used to it and not miss anything. They all have that Grado sound and which one you choose in the end depends on your personal tastes, your DAC/Amp and the sound material you like.

Do i need more than one Grado headphone?

I don't think so. But i think you want more than one :)

If i could only have one of my Grados i'd choose the PS500e. Or the RS2e, depending on my mood.
If i had to give one of them away it would probably be the SR325e. But then i would lose the ear-tickling highs which only the SR line has.

So do i feel like i have too many Grados? No, not really. I want to keep them all. But i am pretty sure i won't add any more. Even though that GH2 does look very nice... Fortunately i am immune to the wiles of the Hemp as i can't stand those flat pads on my ears :)

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions. I like to geek out over things i like.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #46,101 of 65,787
The Marantz and my T1s are a match made in heaven. So far, I think the Hemps sound really good with them, although I haven’t heard them on anything else. I could imagine them being sublime on a nice sweet tube amp. As for the Westones - they are my go to portable when I’m traveling for non critical listening. Never heard of the BMasters...enlighten me.
Not many reviews, I discovered them in a what hi fi forum thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08519DJ1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Y9M3EDZJTD1TAG8V3M0F

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #46,102 of 65,787
Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions.

If the White has the least bass, mids, and treble, then you need to turn up the volume. Is there something about the sound signature that prevents you from turning up the volume, such as the 6k spike present on all models with the G pad? Or is there some muffling going on, affecting the clarity?

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #46,103 of 65,787
If the White has the least bass, mids, and treble, then you need to turn up the volume. Is there something about the sound signature that prevents you from turning up the volume, such as the 6k spike present on all models with the G pad? Or is there some muffling going on, affecting the clarity?

I had just copied the thingy with the arrows so "Most" and "Least" were mixed up. I corrected that now. Thanks for pointing that out.

I can listen to the White at a normal volume and even louder. I have to crank it up more than the other headphones as it's quieter, probably because it's more far away from my ears. At even louder volumes the treble becomes a problem. If you compare the White with the other Grados it does indeed sound more muffled but it is not muffled if you compare it to let's say a Sony.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #46,104 of 65,787
Let me preface this by saying that i use these headphones with a Chord Mojo which in itself has a very lean detailed and laid back sound. A more "boomier" DAC/Amp like the OPPO HA-2 would shift my findings. For example the White does not sound all too great with it. Everything is say here is of course IMHO!

Treble

Most -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Least

The SR325e has that kind of treble which tickles you ear. Tiniest details and fine dynamics get to be heard. With certain amps and sound materials this can become annoying. With my Chord Mojo it is however very enjoyable. The RS2e is pretty much the same but one notch subdued. Details are still there but less "in your face". PS500e and White are another notch down to a level which non-Grado fans might even consider "normal". It's no surprise, none of these Grados lack treble. They are all great treble-wise to my ears.

Mids

The White is the master of mids. It makes me hear new details in songs i thought i knew well. The PS500e is similar but one or two notches behind. Compared to those two the SR325e nearly has no mids. The RS2e sits between the latter two. My favourites for mids are the White and the PS500e. Especialy the White is great for observing voices.

Bass

Most and least also goes hand in hand with "detailed", the more bass the less detailed. The SR325e being the extreme with its very detailed "bodyless" bass and the White being the other extreme with lots of bass body but not much detail. The PS500e is my favourite, it has a very punchy bass full of body, still has some details and even some sub bass. RS2e and PS500e are my favourite in this department, depending on sound material.

Soundstage and overall feeling

If you like a big soundstage then the White is for you. The sound also feels less "direct", probably because the drivers are further away from your ears. The White puts you inside a cozy tube-y world where nothing is annoying. It's great for relaxed listening but not so detail-orientated in the highs and lows and focusses on the mids. But it doesn't matter, overall it's a great package for fun listening.

The soundstage of the other three is pretty much the same, it's still a reasonable amount of separation but not as much as with the White. The sound seems more direct, you are closer to what's happening. The SR325e is a super finicky magnifying glass for sounds, often you get more details than you need. But it is enjoyable in its own rights. The RS2e is a reasonable and nicer version of the SR series and so is the PS500e which adds more mids and a punchy deep bass to the mix.

So which one is the best?

Listening to only one of these headphones for some days makes me get used to it and not miss anything. They all have that Grado sound and which one you choose in the end depends on your personal tastes, your DAC/Amp and the sound material you like.

Do i need more than one Grado headphone?

I don't think so. But i think you want more than one :)

If i could only have one of my Grados i'd choose the PS500e. Or the RS2e, depending on my mood.
If i had to give one of them away it would probably be the SR325e. But then i would lose the ear-tickling highs which only the SR line has.

So do i feel like i have too many Grados? No, not really. I want to keep them all. But i am pretty sure i won't add any more. Even though that GH2 does look very nice... Fortunately i am immune to the wiles of the Hemp as i can't stand those flat pads on my ears :)

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions. I like to geek out over things i like.
Oh no

This sounds amazing. I thought the White would be more leaning towards the highs, but this sounds like I need them.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #46,105 of 65,787
Does anyone have a GS1000i they want to sell?
Shame you didn't post up a couple of days ago. But do you only want the ( i ) version ? And not the ( e ) ? ..... Was watching all week on UK eBay at a pair of mint gs1000 e . Think e version. Seller wanted bids from £750 .....no bids , didn't sell. And not reposted up yet.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #46,106 of 65,787
Shame you didn't post up a couple of days ago. But do you only want the ( i ) version ? And not the ( e ) ? ..... Was watching all week on UK eBay at a pair of mint gs1000 e . Think e version. Seller wanted bids from £750 .....no bids , didn't sell. And not reposted up yet.

I'm looking for the i version.

Good luck with your search...

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #46,107 of 65,787
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #46,108 of 65,787
Need to Replace Grado L Cushion/Bowl

My GH1 Cushions are disintegrating. They did not make it to 5 years. I want to purchase authentic cushions. The Grado 4 ears store wants like $32.50 for these. This is to much. They seem to be out of stock most places like B&H. Someplaces charge close to $10 just to ship them. Where can I by these cushions new for a fair price ($20)?

Why can't Grado change the materials in order for them not to disintegrate with time?

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #46,109 of 65,787
Need to Replace Grado L Cushion/Bowl

My GH1 Cushions are disintegrating. They did not make it to 5 years. I want to purchase authentic cushions. The Grado 4 ears store wants like $32.50 for these. This is to much. They seem to be out of stock most places like B&H. Someplaces charge close to $10 just to ship them. Where can I by these cushions new for a fair price ($20)?

Why can't Grado change the materials in order for them not to disintegrate with time?
Usually they are $20 on Amazon, but they seem to be having a bit of a shortage.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #46,110 of 65,787
Have you compared them to Westone 4? They’re pretty cheap.
No I haven't, but the poster in the what hi fi thread did, and sold his Westones. I'm not convinced they're better, but for £70 they're very impressive. I prefer them to LZ-A4 that have a bit of cult following here in the head fi forums, and less than half their cost. The concensus is that the LZs punch way above their weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back