Grado Fan Club!
Jan 29, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #45,166 of 65,581
Haha.

These GH2’s are fantastic to my ears, I think they’re somewhere between the hemps and the RS2e in terms of their sound. Giving them a good initial run through now. Will try to put some thoughts up for the three sometime soon (and maybe my older 325 and GW100 is anyone is interested), just need to select some tracks to easily test and rank them.

GW100 was my first Grado that got me hooked. GH2 was my next purchase! Didn't wanna *****foot around lol. GH2 is still my daily, but I've since started exploring planars. Without EQ, the GH2 is still my favorite by far, then the HifiMan Sundar with the LCD2-Closed very very close if not the same. But dammit if those Audeze don't love some EQ, then it trades blows with the GH2 and I feel guilty like I'm cheating on my beautiful cocobolo cans :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #45,168 of 65,581
For those who the Shipibo aluminum gimbal/rod sets, how much difference in weight is there to the original Grado gimbals and rods?

Edit: Also, does anyone know if the "F" pads that come on the Hemp are the same as the standard TTVJ flat pads or are they same as the deluxe flat pads?

The Shipibo aluminum gimbals are similar in weight to the stock gimbals.

I compared the weight of an aluminum gimbal (another set, not Shipibo) to the original -- the stock plastic set was actually heavier (by a gram, I think).

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #45,169 of 65,581
Hi
I was grado gh2 and loved them so much that I sold them and bought gs3000e thinking it was a super gh2.
I have had gs3000e a month and have already sold them. My ananda sound better and have more resolution and tone at half prize
Instead, I bought another gh2, I clearly prefer it to gs3000e, sound more direct, forceful, exciting and fun.
Gs3000e only works well for me in genres like jazz, classical or soul and I think that at that price there are better options in other brands (arya, hd800s ...)
(If I have noticed something when trying headphones, it is that in a brand the most expensive model is not always the one that you will like the most. The tuning and timbre, as long as it has a good resolution is more important to me. I have tried much more expensive headphones than hifiman ananda and gh2 and these are still my favorites)
Grado gh2 I find it fantastic for rock, punk, acoustic, metal and it is quite good allrounder and they are super light. It has a pretty decent bass, the best I've heard to a grado headphone, having heard, (gs1000i, gs3000e, rs2e, and gh2) .
With grado gh2 and hifimam ananda I really enjoy all the music on my ifi micro idsd signature and my feliks audio espressivo mark ii.
Cheers

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #45,170 of 65,581
AA0131CE-FE49-45C4-B3F6-D6B07E0E2000.jpeg

Lucky enough to live near Moon Audio, so dropped these off for a little upgrade recently. I haven’t had the chance to critically listen yet but from a purely aesthetic and usability standpoint - 10/10!

I found a good deal on the GH4 and decided to go with them since I couldn’t decide between the hemp and the RS2e. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #45,171 of 65,581
Question: my gimbal makes a squeaky sound when wearing. What can I use to lumbricate them? WD40..haha
I would only use silicone spray lubricant on headphones. Easy to clean off and will not damage finishes or eat plastic like oil petroleum based products.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #45,173 of 65,581
I think it was something like 50g more. Nothing you would notice really when you have them sitting on your head.
The Shipibo aluminum gimbals are similar in weight to the stock gimbals.

I compared the weight of an aluminum gimbal (another set, not Shipibo) to the original -- the stock plastic set was actually heavier (by a gram, I think).

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #45,174 of 65,581
AA0131CE-FE49-45C4-B3F6-D6B07E0E2000.jpeg

Lucky enough to live near Moon Audio, so dropped these off for a little upgrade recently. I haven’t had the chance to critically listen yet but from a purely aesthetic and usability standpoint - 10/10!

I found a good deal on the GH4 and decided to go with them since I couldn’t decide between the hemp and the RS2e. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think the gh3/4 are the most beautiful wood that Grado has ever used

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #45,175 of 65,581
RS2e is my new favorite.. but the SR-225e with the taped bowls is pretty close just not as refined. Grados have great impact for the drums and this helps with rock music. Van Halen 2 on Tidal Master sounds pretty awesome...
Two tracks spring to mind for drum impact, the intro to the prisoner by maiden, and Joan armatrading me myself I. There's also dire straits, where do you think you're going, and of course last bit not leady shoot to thrill from the mighty DC

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #45,176 of 65,581
Hi
I was grado gh2 and loved them so much that I sold them and bought gs3000e thinking it was a super gh2.
I have had gs3000e a month and have already sold them. My ananda sound better and have more resolution and tone at half prize
Instead, I bought another gh2, I clearly prefer it to gs3000e, sound more direct, forceful, exciting and fun.
Grado gh2 I find it fantastic for rock, punk, acoustic, metal and it is quite good allrounder and they are super light.

Exactly, it hardly sounds bad with any music that any half decently resolving system would expose anyway, but it excels in more ways than most. It has a strange ability to be resolving/revealing, but at the same time not so analytical it's boring. A wonderful balance was struck with these babies.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #45,177 of 65,581
For those who the Shipibo aluminum gimbal/rod sets, how much difference in weight is there to the original Grado gimbals and rods?

Edit: Also, does anyone know if the "F" pads that come on the Hemp are the same as the standard TTVJ flat pads or are they same as the deluxe flat pads?

Literally no difference (my Shipibo slim gimbals actually weigh less)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #45,178 of 65,581

Like others have said, if you get the slim gimbals and rod block the weight is not an issue and could even be less if you get the half circle gimbals.

As for the TTVJ pads, as far as I can tell the stock F-cush pads are the same as the deluxe flats, but I don't have the normal flats to compare.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #45,179 of 65,581

It's not an improved GH2. The 50mm driver models have a distinct sound signature, so it's more correctly a "Super GS1000e". But I wonder what would happen if someone transplanted the GH2 drivers into the GS3000e....

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #45,180 of 65,581
From seeing the comments it looks like it's pretty much agreed upon that Grado struck gold with the rs2e, hemp and gh2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back