Grado Fan Club!
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #44,972 of 65,622
I pre-ordered the Hemps based only on Gutenberg's review and they were my introduction to Grado. About 8 or 9 months later and I can safely say that the Hemps are my second favorite headphone and I am absolutely a Grado fan.

The only reason they are my second favorite and not first is because my Lawton modded X00s beat them out overall, but I do like the Hemps more for specific things like acoustic music and some classic rock. Infact, before I did the Lawton mod the Hemps were tied with my X00s.

The reason I love the Hemps and Grados in general is the lively and energetic sound they have. The dynamics are great and the punch and impact of sounds is just so fun. I was sceptical about Grados before since all I ever heard about them was "treble murder for old deaf men" but that just isn't my experience, even with the SR80e I got shortly after the Hemps. Grados are bright, but the treble is just so smooth and detailed that it never hurts. Also I don't get why people say Grados have no bass. Even the SR80e have a similar amount as something like a Sennheiser and the Hemps have more than that. I'm glad there is a massive thread like this that is pretty much pure love for what seems to be a really under appreciated brand.

Some pics because these are just so pretty.

ff9bd005cd02abbea44918451964a8189c1f05bf.jpeg

a9e8ded0249501d6cba4645395b1fa6336464527.jpeg

4f6dbc48c052bdc5041a62f8533a3ffecc35a754.jpeg

d550337d6704fc80e64be3c458670a0fffc81732.jpeg

d3ab7d242ad73226b4d63ed103eab83293c9de8a.jpeg

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #44,973 of 65,622
I miss my GS1000e’s. I became impatient as I burned them in, waiting for over 400 hours of use for the bass to lose its tubby characteristic. Do you know how long it takes to get to 400 hour when you rotate through 50 pairs of headphones?

So I sold them.

But now, I miss their fabulous appearance, their great comfort, and the fact that they were assembled by John Grado rather than the two ladies that normally build these, as they were out on a family emergency for a bit.

They burned in to the point that I would only notice the bass tubbiness if I did rapid A/B comparisons, not Normal listening. I have even tried to figure out to whom I Sold them and offer to buy them back.

Oh, well... c’est la vie.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #44,974 of 65,622
On those Hemps, are those two tension screws on the gimble rod block? If so, is that stock or an after market? It's a minor quibble, but it would be nice to dial in and lock the gimble rods once the head adjustment is set.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #44,975 of 65,622
I miss my GS1000e’s. I became impatient as I burned them in, waiting for over 400 hours of use for the bass to lose its tubby characteristic. Do you know how long it takes to get to 400 hour when you rotate through 50 pairs of headphones?

So I sold them.

But now, I miss their fabulous appearance, their great comfort, and the fact that they were assembled by John Grado rather than the two ladies that normally build these, as they were out on a family emergency for a bit.

They burned in to the point that I would only notice the bass tubbiness if I did rapid A/B comparisons, not Normal listening. I have even tried to figure out to whom I Sold them and offer to buy them back.

Oh, well... c’est la vie.
I'm always intrigued by burn in - on some speakers I was convinced there was a change, usually with in-car systems, but have never heard anything with electronics, even when the manufacturer (think Cyrus) advises that you should do so. There's not much scientific research data out there, but this is at least relevant!

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

The rather simplistic dismissal of some extraneous effects on the measurements is worrying, and really should be verified to give greater confidence to the conclusion.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #44,979 of 65,622
On those Hemps, are those two tension screws on the gimble rod block? If so, is that stock or an after market? It's a minor quibble, but it would be nice to dial in and lock the gimble rods once the head adjustment is set.

They are Shipibo slim rod blocks and gimbals. The 2 screws on the rod block allow you to lock the hight adjustment in place while still allowing (stiff) rotation. They are great quality and make the Hemps feel like the best built headphone I have. Can't recommend enough.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #44,981 of 65,622
Anyone else find the GS1000e a bit boring? A/B against the GH4, it's hard to like them, despite price difference.
I was kind of disappointed with my purchase of the GS1000e. They are really good for classical and acoustic jazz. But I was disappointed in the bass. Having the RS2e, that I love, I was expecting the same "type" pf bass, just more of it, if that makes sense. I'm a drummer, and I know how a bass drum is supposed to sound, even with changes in the heads or different brands of drums. The bass drum sounds the same in just about every song I listen to on the GS1000e. It's just a hollow thud. I got the Hemp, becasue it would be my first limited Edition Grado. Now that has some bass!! Maybe too much LOL I was just about to sell the GS1000e when I decided to buy the A&Norma SR25 DAP. I had/have the Fiio M11 and was sort of upgrading to the Astell&Kern. My amps stayed the same, but let me tell you, the GS1000e have done an almost 180 with the new DAP. I've got some good bass going on. Occasionally, there will be a song that it's back to the old GS1000e bass, but the new DAP greatly improved what I was hearing. SO maybe synergy with your system could be the culprit too?

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #44,982 of 65,622
thanks for all of that info! I’ll see how I like the headphones in a week or so before I decide to buy an amp.

as for the positioning, like you I noticed the sound open up when I push the ear pads forward. I got that. But I’m having trouble with is how far or little I should extend the headband down my ears. Sounds stupid, but I think about this a lot lol. Because the pads are sort of a hybrid of around ear/on ear headphones I don’t know how I should wear them. I want to be sure the sound is directed into my ear! In this attachment you can tell she’s able to extend the headband lower if she wanted, but would that be the sweet spot? I’m sure I’ll figure it out as I experiment but it’s always in the back of my head while listening lol. Sorry for the long rambling, but I’m at work and this little irk is making the enjoyment of the headphones a little less.
I try to get my headband adjusted, with the RS2e's, so that the bottom of my ear lobe is just touching the inside bottom of the ear pad (so I can fell it a little bit). But then my ears may be different than yours LOL

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #44,983 of 65,622
I'm always intrigued by burn in - on some speakers I was convinced there was a change, usually with in-car systems, but have never heard anything with electronics, even when the manufacturer (think Cyrus) advises that you should do so. There's not much scientific research data out there, but this is at least relevant!

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

The rather simplistic dismissal of some extraneous effects on the measurements is worrying, and really should be verified to give greater confidence to the conclusion.
I read an article, with one of the Grado's (john maybe?) and in the article he suggested 50 hours of burn in with Grado headphones. Just your normal listening at a moderate volume.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #44,984 of 65,622
I was kind of disappointed with my purchase of the GS1000e. They are really good for classical and acoustic jazz. But I was disappointed in the bass. Having the RS2e, that I love, I was expecting the same "type" pf bass, just more of it, if that makes sense. I'm a drummer, and I know how a bass drum is supposed to sound, even with changes in the heads or different brands of drums. The bass drum sounds the same in just about every song I listen to on the GS1000e. It's just a hollow thud. I got the Hemp, becasue it would be my first limited Edition Grado. Now that has some bass!! Maybe too much LOL I was just about to sell the GS1000e when I decided to buy the A&Norma SR25 DAP. I had/have the Fiio M11 and was sort of upgrading to the Astell&Kern. My amps stayed the same, but let me tell you, the GS1000e have done an almost 180 with the new DAP. I've got some good bass going on. Occasionally, there will be a song that it's back to the old GS1000e bass, but the new DAP greatly improved what I was hearing. SO maybe synergy with your system could be the culprit too?
Q: I’ve never owned or heard a pair of grados - but I’m curious and it seems as if you have experience with both pairs that I am considering. Can you make a recommendation based on your experience with both the hemp and rs2e? Which would you recommend and why?

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #44,985 of 65,622
Q: I’ve never owned or heard a pair of grados - but I’m curious and it seems as if you have experience with both pairs that I am considering. Can you make a recommendation based on your experience with both the hemp and rs2e? Which would you recommend and why?

The original poster will probably reply too, but in my experience with both the Hemp is a bit darker than a traditional Grado house sound. Similar to maybe an HD650 with just a little bit of that Grado excitement. The RS2e is the refinement of the Grado house sound. With all of the excitement and treble energy. Depends what you are looking for. I‘m more into the bright and more exciting Grado, but there are a lot of the Hemp camp! You could pick up the Hemp and an SR80 to get the taste of the traditional grado sound for around the price of the RS2e. I’m a new Grado fan, so others might be able to touch on this a little better

EDIT: Page 3000

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back