Grado Fan Club!
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #43,546 of 65,629
I estimated the year on owning the GS1000e for a short time, then buying the GH1 which has 'e' drivers as well.
joseph69, did you end up getting the GH1’s? Everyone seems to like them a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #43,547 of 65,629
I just bought a set of PS500e at a great price. Can't wait to listen to them

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #43,548 of 65,629
Congratulations on the new cans ajm87!

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #43,549 of 65,629
2014 Joseph.
Thank you. I knew it was somewhere around there, just wasn't 100% positive.

joseph69, did you end up getting the GH1’s? Everyone seems to like them a lot.
For sure.
Bought them as soon as they came out and they've been one of my favorite Grado's 'til this day.
I recently acquired a like new condition GH2 and they're just as impressive so far. I say so far because I have to believe they didn't have much head time because they sounded a bit closed in when I got them, but I've been running them nearly every day for weeks now and they're sounding better and better. Both, the GH1 & GH2 are grand slams for Grado IMHO. As everyone knows, I use both exclusively with Grado G cushions just to be clear.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #43,550 of 65,629
Thinking about selling some of my Grado and other headphones to finance a set of GS 1000e's. I have the PS 500's which I will be keeping but also have a set of GH4's, RS2i and a set of SR225i.All in excellent condition. Would it be worth liquidating some to get the GS 1000's? Never heard them, what would they give me in comparison to the 500's?
The GS1000e, while enjoyable, was one of my less favorite headphones. Its bass had a tubbiness, sort of a narrow resonance at a particular frequency as if coming from the other end of a pipe or barrel, that never fully went away after 400 hours of use (though it did reduce). That said, it was enjoyable, and right now I wish I had not sold it, but if I were you I would go for a used GS1000 or 1000i, or a new GS2000e or GS3000e, or stick with your RS2i.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #43,551 of 65,629
To my mind at least, it was @joseph69 that made the discovery that one could actually improve the sound of one and only one GRADO, the GH1, by departing from its stock L bowls to the G Cush. Later on he discovered that the GH2 are also i over by the G Cush.

To my knowledge, no other Grado models are improved by other cushions, and in fact get worse. Only the PS500 can be changed by G Cush pads, and there, it does not get worse, nor does it get better...it just changes.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #43,552 of 65,629
The GS1000e, while enjoyable, was one of my less favorite headphones. Its bass had a tubbiness, sort of a narrow resonance at a particular frequency as if coming from the other end of a pipe or barrel, that never fully went away after 400 hours of use (though it did reduce). That said, it was enjoyable, and right now I wish I had not sold it, but if I were you I would go for a used GS1000 or 1000i, or a new GS2000e or GS3000e, or stick with your RS2i.
Newbie to the forum. First post (reply). I bought the GS1000e a few weeks ago, and yea, the bass was disappointing to me. No resonance or something. But they are not broken in yet. I only have about 30 hours time on them. But I do still like them. Great soundstage compared to my RS2E's.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #43,553 of 65,629
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet, although it's probably too late for that given your recent purchase :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #43,554 of 65,629
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet, although it's probably too late for that given your recent purchase :)
I'm already in way deep. Bought the RS2e in May. Then the GS1000e a few weeks ago. Pre-ordered the GT-220 wireless buds...they are coming Wednesday. And just received the Hemp headphones today. I'm liking the Hemp!! I'm running them all through a Fiio M11 DAP. Should I run that through a headphone amp? Been looking at the Schiit Vali2. Is it necessary if I have a DAP though? It has it's own amp

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #43,555 of 65,629
I'm already in way deep. Bought the RS2e in May. Then the GS1000e a few weeks ago. Pre-ordered the GT-220 wireless buds...they are coming Wednesday. And just received the Hemp headphones today. I'm liking the Hemp!! I'm running them all through a Fiio M11 DAP. Should I run that through a headphone amp? Been looking at the Schiit Vali2. Is it necessary if I have a DAP though? It has it's own amp
Curious to hear your thoughts on the GT-220 wireless buds!

My Hemps have liked every amp I've put it through thus far (schiit heresy, Liquid spark and the topping nx4), so it's not picky at all, it sounds nice from my Lg phone as well(with the quad dac), your dap should be more than fine!

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #43,556 of 65,629
(deleted)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #43,557 of 65,629

Congrats. I've had my PS500e for a while now and I love them. They're especially great to listen to vinyl with.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #43,558 of 65,629
emorrison33, sir you definitely have the disease! Nice collection of cans you’ve got there. Personally I’d say that it’s crucial to your listening enjoyment to get yourself a dedicated headphone amplifier. Good amps like really good headphones are not cheap, but your ears and your brain will thank you profusely if you do decide to go swimming in the deep end of the audiophile pool.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #43,559 of 65,629
Pulled a trigger on the Hemp, a Grado tuned to Flat pads, which to me is the definitive Grado sound, really captured my interest.

I initially dismissed the Hemp because they just seemed to be retuned sr225e or sr325e drivers, and therefore not as resolving as the GH1 or RS2e, but Moon Audio's review says that the Hemp are Grado's experiment with Hi Res. sound. This peaked my interest and made me wonder if they were more resolving than the RS2e.
I shall see. I no longer have the RS2e to compare but I'm crossing my fingers. So far, very positive reviews saying that it's the most fun and emotive headphones they have listened and reviewed in a long time.

Here's the Quote from Moon Audio:
https://www.moon-audio.com/grado-hemp-headphone-review

"Their experiment resulted in the production of a Hi-Res headphone whose sound is full of depth, bass, and clarity in its sound. To put it plainly, these are one of my favorite Grado limited edition headphones".
"It contains two solos: one slow and one fast. Finally, the song immediately starts with a war-like machine gun sample that features audible yelling and shouting that I had never heard before in this song. I have heard “One” so many times, I have grown to just expect just the machine guns when I start listening to the song.The second I heard audible yelling I gasped. It is such a small detail but a detail that I thought gave the song more weight, especially with regards to lyrical presentation and story."

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #43,560 of 65,629
ruthieandjohn, the only sensible solution, in my humble opinion, would be to advise anyone who is betwixt and between on which Grado headphones they should get, is to tell them forcefully, but with a great deal of compassion, to sell and hock everything, and get a pair of GS3000e's as soon as possible. They are hands down the best wooden headphones Grado has ever produced. Okay, I stole that last line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back