Grado Fan Club!
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #42,046 of 66,181
Has anyone removed the drivers from the hemp yet? I want to add an HD800 socket to replace the factory cable. Looks like they use plenty of glue, but also seems like it can be softened with heat!

so far the cable is the only negative about these headphones. I was a bit worried about comfort after reading some Grado criticisms, but it’s largely a non issue.

Best folks for re-cabling Grado's wooden efforts are Moon Audio. The glue usually be picked out slowly with a blade. I believe Grado uses an oven of some sort. I've met very few DIYers/modders who can do it without breaking the drivers.

usually people using heat gun to deal with wooden grado

my advice is stay away from g-pad for your own good :D once you tried grado with g-pad there's no coming back to the on ear grados in term of comfort

If you try a hair dryer don't let it blow into the face of the driver at all. The heat affects the diaphragm badly. I've only seen hairdryers used on SR-series Grados to pull the sleeves from the outer cups, and then with a hand shielding the face of the driver and the heat focused on the sides.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #42,047 of 66,181
If you try a hair dryer don't let it blow into the face of the driver at all. The heat affects the diaphragm badly. I've only seen hairdryers used on SR-series Grados to pull the sleeves from the outer cups, and then with a hand shielding the face of the driver and the heat focused on the sides.

yeah, also i heard the problem with wood is some wood react differently to direct heat, some could crack if i remember it correctly, so usually carpenters using steam. i'm not that handy, usually i just paid someone more credible to do that for me :D since labor pretty cheap over here

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #42,048 of 66,181
If Grado released a limited edition with removable cables I'm willing to bet that it would quickly become their best selling model ever. I would sell my RS2e in a millisecond to buy that one instead.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #42,050 of 66,181
I've been using rs2e loads since ive been working from home, with my hugo 2. Ive been listening to everything from black metal to electronic stuff and jazz. Love them. Whats a great upgrade rs1e? I can spend up to £1500 or even closer to £2k at a push. Its weird how grado headphones get bad reviews. Ive loved them
I have the GS3000e's linked to my Hugo 2 which is linked to my Chord Blu MK1 with twin BNC to 3.5mm jack playing 176kHz sampling rate.

With great recordings...absolutely awesome sound....best I have currently heard from a headphone system to date for most genres of music !

You can pick up brand new GS3000e's in the UK for just over £1,500.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #42,051 of 66,181
wrong!
hd800, the flattest most neutral headphone out there. the only headphone in the world that could reproduce sound accordingly to how artists and sound engineers intended to. trust the golden ear god!
I found both versions of the HD800 not that good a headphone. I found them to be very artificial sounding especially the sound stage. They were quite good in their day. Far far better headphones out there now at the HD800 price point or even cheaper !

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #42,052 of 66,181
Has anyone tried to buy a disassembled pair? I think that would be the easiest way of adding a detachable cable.
i don't think grado allowed that, they're pretty protective about their spare parts.
i think a little over of decade ago, my friend had a problem with the cable on his grado, he can't even get a cable part from grado since he is not in us, so it's pretty make sense just to buy the cable from grado and then him doing the recable part himself,nope. can't even do that, he had to send his headphone to grado

I found both versions of the HD800 not that good a headphone. I found them to be very artificial sounding especially the sound stage. They were quite good in their day. Far far better headphones out there now at the HD800 price point or even cheaper !
yeah i was being sarcastic. i'm not a fans of hd800 myself, i found the sound stage not that natural. haven't try hd800s though

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #42,053 of 66,181
After reading your quote above, I decided to listen to a few albums w/ my GS3Ke & concentrate on the guitars both acoustic & electric. After an afternoon listening session, I have to say I agree w/ you.
100% agree. All acoustic instruments sound orgasmic on the GS3000e's !

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #42,054 of 66,181
i don't think grado allowed that, they're pretty protective about their spare parts.
i think a little over of decade ago, my friend had a problem with the cable on his grado, he can't even get a cable part from grado since he is not in us, so it's pretty make sense just to buy the cable from grado and then him doing the recable part himself,nope. can't even do that, he had to send his headphone to grado

yeah i was being sarcastic. i'm not a fans of hd800 myself, i found the sound stage not that natural. haven't try hd800s though
They are similar. Treble not as bright and a slight bit better bass. No competition though compared to my GS3000e's !

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #42,055 of 66,181
Has anyone gone from the SR series to the GS series? I have owned the SR60e, RS2i and now have the SR325e. I love the Grado sound, and Grados match very well with my amp.

I was thinking of upgrading my SR325e to the GS3000e. Can I expect a big difference? I could be wrong, but I get the impression all of Grados drivers are the same; that only the pads and ear pieces change (and the cables). For the money the GS3000e costs, I would expect better drivers as well.

I would appreciate any thoughts or impressions, opinions, etc.
I went from the SR80e's to the GS3000e's in two weeks as I liked the sound of the SR's so much I thought I might as well go the whole hog and get the GS3000e's.

The SR80e's are a good headphone especially at the price point. The GS3000e's though are on another planet....a planet of orgasmic sound ! An awesome headphone and worth the much higher price.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #42,056 of 66,181
The GS3000e's though are on another planet....a planet of orgasmic sound ! An awesome headphone and worth the much higher price.
Too bad these don't show up on the sales forum too often (if at all). I would love to try one, but I'm not buying new without hearing one first.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #42,057 of 66,181
Too bad these don't show up on the sales forum too often (if at all). I would love to try one, but I'm not buying new without hearing one first.
maybe that's how good they are, no buyer remorse

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #42,058 of 66,181
maybe that's how good they are, no buyer remorse

I think a few hoarders are keeping all the good Grados away from the rest of us. :sunglasses:

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #42,059 of 66,181
Best folks for re-cabling Grado's wooden efforts are Moon Audio. The glue usually be picked out slowly with a blade. I believe Grado uses an oven of some sort. I've met very few DIYers/modders who can do it without breaking the drivers.

I contacted moon and they have not yet looked into the ability to do the removable cable mod. Be a couple weeks until they are going to be around to check into it!

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #42,060 of 66,181
I think a few hoarders are keeping all the good Grados away from the rest of us. :sunglasses:
those god damn flippers! they gonna wait until cocobolo enter critically endangered list so grado couldn't produce gs3000e anymore. make it rain baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back