Grado Fan Club!
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4,171 of 66,252
Aug 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4,174 of 66,252
I currently own the SR-80i and SR-225i, but the hunger. it doesn't go away.

i have an insatiable need for more Grado's.

I have constant arguments with my wallet, but its points are weak and my wallet always loses.

So. my question to all of you, considering there is no point in anything lower than the 225, what should my next Grado purchase be?

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,175 of 66,252
Quote:

I have constant arguments with my wallet, but its points are weak and my wallet always loses.

So. my question to all of you, considering there is no point in anything lower than the 225, what should my next Grado purchase be?

Maby should go for the top imediatly, sounds like you gona end up there anyway.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4,176 of 66,252
PS500 and then enjoy it for awhile, just happens to me my fav Grado, so far

listening to PS1000 and PS500 now, I actually switch the PS500 pads to the PS1000 and like the feel
I feel the music with the smaller pads. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #4,177 of 66,252
Its true, most likely will end up with all of them :wink: BUT. i would quite like the journey....  PS1000 seem to be a marmite headphone on Head-fi, never had the pleasure to listen to them myself but loved the 500.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4,178 of 66,252
Quote:

That's a tough one...my favorite Grados are the PS500s. In fact, they are my favorite headphones overall right now. I think I'd suggest going with either these or the RS-1s (or even the RS-2)

PS. I like the Grado journey, too...I'm having a lot of fun going up the line gradually :)

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #4,179 of 66,252
Hi All...Brand new here, and to tell you the truth not much of an audiophile.  However, long story short, my son wants headphones.  He's 6 years old, and the older guys in his tae kwon do club wear Dr. Dre Beats.  So we agreed he could buy headphones if he saved up enough money, so has begun to understand the value of a dollar, and realizes $200.00 ain't cheap.(We upped his allowance from 1 dollar to 3 dollars per day if he does all his chores and 30-45 minutes of math with mom or I.)  We also agreed as parents not to buy him anything in this process, so we don't spoil the absolute crap out of him.

I also knew it would give me enough time to show him the error of purchasing of poor quality that is overpriced.

Anyways, we have decided to go with Grado 60i's.  I may even purchase a pair myself.

Things I need to know:

#1.  Best place to buy online?
#2.  Do they need an amp?
#3.  What accessories do I need for them to plug into an ipod/iphone/imac/tv?
#4.  Are they comfortable or should I invest in better ear pads?
#5.  Feel free to give any kudos or criticism on my parenting. :)

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #4,180 of 66,252
#1) Anywhere, grado's tend to be pretty strict on price,
#2) They don't NEED an amp, but as with pretty much all headphones, SQ in general will increase... if you want to go with a portable a Fiio is generally what anyone will tell you around here if you want something cheap that does the job well.
#3) You don't need any. Grado sr60/80 come with 3.5mm jack (1/8")
#4) At first not very comfortable, but putting the pads in the wash should sort that out. I have the 80's which come with the same pads as the 60's  and i found them good enough. scratchy for literally the first hour or two.. but really quickly softened.
#5) none at all, i think its better actually, rather than give into the beats culture and showing your kid another way.

but i do seriously recommend the Grado sr-80, which are in my opinion some of the best price: performance ratio for any headphone out there. 

(or atleast get the 80's for yourself :wink: )

Also, on another note.

Welcome to Head-Fi! sorry about your wallet!

:> always wanted to say that.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4,181 of 66,252
Quote:
Hi All...Brand new here, and to tell you the truth not much of an audiophile.  However, long story short, my son wants headphones.  He's 6 years old, and the older guys in his tae kwon do club wear Dr. Dre Beats.  So we agreed he could buy headphones if he saved up enough money, so has begun to understand the value of a dollar, and realizes $200.00 ain't cheap.(We upped his allowance from 1 dollar to 3 dollars per day if he does all his chores and 30-45 minutes of math with mom or I.)  We also agreed as parents not to buy him anything in this process, so we don't spoil the absolute crap out of him.

I also knew it would give me enough time to show him the error of purchasing of poor quality that is overpriced.

Anyways, we have decided to go with Grado 60i's.  I may even purchase a pair myself.

Things I need to know:

I wouldn't worry about an amp. If you REALLY would like to go that route I would recommend a dac/amp combo. 
Any of this sites sponsor are good such as headroom or a local shop (price might be a tad more). I found the pads with the sr80i, which are the same on the 60i, to be comfortable but if you have a pronounced antihelix (one of the ridges on your ear near the edge) you may find them less than comfortable. I can bear with it because Grados tend to not have high clamping force so it isn't a big deal. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4,182 of 66,252

RS-1. I haven't heard the PS-500, but the SR-325 are more of a side-grade (the chromed ones look snazzy though!), and the RS-2 are reportedly just a "stop over" to the RS-1 (and the RS-1 gain build quality features over the RS-2 that help make the price more reasonable).

Things I need to know:

1. Authorized dealer only - Grado won't honor warranties from non-authorized dealers. Amazon.com is not authorized. Examples of authorized dealers include J&R and ListenUp.
2. No, not really, assuming you have an iPod or AV receiver or something that it can plug into that isn't half bad.
3. The SR-60 and SR-80 come with a 1/8" native and 1/4" adapter, everything from there up to the RS-1 lack adapters, the RS-1 and above are 1/4" native and come with 1/8" adapter. I'm guessing most of your stuff is 1/8" so the SR-60 will be fine (just take the adapter off).
4. They're fine - I don't love the comfies, but they're not bad (I'm a weird duck and like the bowls). They're very light, so as long as you adjust the headband right, they'll fit very gently.
5. Dude you're buying SR-60s for a 6 year old - that's awesome. And that you're teaching him the value of a dollar and not letting him buy cheap junk - he's earning a solid piece of gear that if treated well will probably last him for ages (the pads will fall apart sooner than you might expect on other headphones, like say, an HD 650, but they also cost less to replace, which is a huge upside).

One thing I'd add to all of the above though: Grados are able to play stupidly loud from basically anything, and that can cause hearing damage pretty easily. Couple that with their absolute lack of isolation, and he/you may have a bad time if you intend to use them out on the town (either because you'll annoy the heck out of people around you due to the sound leak, or because you'll crank'em up really loud and blow your ears up). Unfortunately Grado doesn't make a closed headphone, and there's nothing else that sounds quite like them (and I think the SR-60 are probably one of the best values for a headphone) - Grado recently put out some in-ears (that will isolate and all that), but I have no idea what they sound like. I'd expect them to be quality products, just because of the company behind them, but for all I know they sound 180* different from the on-ear stuff. I think they also cost a bit more (I think they start at like $129).

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4,183 of 66,252
I know many of us have multiple headphones, and there are at least some people out there like me who work through their rotation even when they have higher quality phones in-house. I tend to have different uses for each of my headphones, and lately I've really been focusing on my 80s. They have really settled into their niche now with tv watching and web surfing. They are so light and comfortable on my head that I love wearing them at the computer. I have been watching tv shows online more than I used to, and I also like to keep the stream for Big Brother on from time to time, as well. With the 80s I am able to hear every nuance of the conversation(s) and the environment. When it comes to movies I'll usually reach for my T1s...and when it comes to music I'll likely grab my PS500s. But if Im online and streaming some shows, watching  youtube vids, big brother feeds, etc...the 80s are where it's at!

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #4,184 of 66,252
My Portapro's have made use for basically any application.
which i plan to do with my Grado's.

but Instead of setting in any set uses for either HP. I just rotate them each day or the other.
like i used to do in Freshman year Highschool when i started getting into Audio Enthusiasm.

Rotating from Portapro, to Sony XB500. looks like im gonna be adding Grado's with that rotation, or just all plain grado.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4,185 of 66,252
I don't rotate them just for the sake of it,but i do have different applications for them,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back