Grado Fan Club!
Aug 21, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4,187 of 66,273
Quote:

That's a tough one...my favorite Grados are the PS500s. In fact, they are my favorite headphones overall right now. I think I'd suggest going with either these or the RS-1s (or even the RS-2)

PS. I like the Grado journey, too...I'm having a lot of fun going up the line gradually :)

Absolutely - the PS500's and RS-1's are the "sweet spot" of the Grado line... and are true "values" - especially, if you find them at a discount (which is possible). 

With the right, well matched, set up, their sound is 95%+ of the PS1000's... and... some may prefer them to the PS1000's.  The PS500's have a slightly richer, warmer, more weighty sound... and... the RS-1's have a slightly more clear, more detailed, more resolved sound, which is also rich, warm and weighty, but a bit less so than the PS500's (think HD600's (RS-1's) vs the HD650's (PS500's). 

In my experience, these three phones are the pinnacle, and are easily the equal of any phones available... and... sound way more like "real, live music" than all others - especially, with all things acoustic!   And... a big advantage is that they sound just as good at lower volume levels, and do not have to be "over-driven" to achieve their great sound quality.

Quite phenomenal, really.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #4,190 of 66,273
Quote:

Absolutely - the PS500's and RS-1's are the "sweet spot" of the Grado line... and are true "values" - especially, if you find them at a discount (which is possible). 

With the right, well matched, set up, their sound is 95%+ of the PS1000's... and... some may prefer them to the PS1000's.  The PS500's have a slightly richer, warmer, more weighty sound... and... the RS-1's have a slightly more clear, more detailed, more resolved sound, which is also rich, warm and weighty, but a bit less so than the PS500's (think HD600's (RS-1's) vs the HD650's (PS500's). 

In my experience, these three phones are the pinnacle, and are easily the equal of any phones available... and... sound way more like "real, live music" than all others - especially, with all things acoustic!   And... a big advantage is that they sound just as good at lower volume levels, and do not have to be "over-driven" to achieve their great sound quality.

Quite phenomenal, really.

I'm not sure if i would say that the PS500 sounds 95%+ like the PS1000,i believe that they sound way too different to be that close.

That's not to say that the PS500 don't sound good,i think that a lot of you know by now that i think that the 500's are a best buy,but the PS1000' are a different animal.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #4,191 of 66,273
Quote:
after reading that, I'm quite anxious for my PS500 to arrive...

You made a great choice. For anyone who likes the Grado sound, it's hard to believe they wouldn't love the 500s....especially when you look at the price tag. I love when I find a piece of audio gear that ticks all the boxes, and the 500s do that for me. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4,192 of 66,273
Quote:

I'm not sure if i would say that the PS500 sounds 95%+ like the PS1000,i believe that they sound way too different to be that close.

That's not to say that the PS500 don't sound good,i think that a lot of you know by now that i think that the 500's are a best buy,but the PS1000' are a different animal.

Hmmm... that's strange - likely the difference in our sources and amps.  Because I find them to sound very similar, especially if the PS500's have the G Cushions.  Though, I guess I would say the RS-1's and PS1000's have more of a similarity.  The PS500's have a bit more of a focused sound with the L Cushions, while the PS1000's have a more diffused sound with the G Cushions - with a greater similarity between the two with the same cushions. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #4,194 of 66,273
Quote:

You made a great choice. For anyone who likes the Grado sound, it's hard to believe they wouldn't love the 500s....especially when you look at the price tag. I love when I find a piece of audio gear that ticks all the boxes, and the 500s do that for me. 

Madbull, I hope you will like the PS500. I have them now for ore than half a year but I have to say that I never really got into them. I think I really tried to like them and listened for quite a while only with them. Technically I think they are good headphones but I can not get used to their tonal balance. To my ears the mid bass is far to strong, which I find a pity because I like the rest of what I hear but the bass is too dominant for my liking. So, by now I went back to listen with my Alessandro pro or my SR325i on my main rig and with my ipod I either use my HF1 (which I find technically inferior to the PS500 but I prefer their balance much more...) or the beyerdynamic DT1350. The PS500 are in their box for long by now... and I know I should sell them but...

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #4,195 of 66,273
guess who got their Grado Sr-80i's! and ENJOYING them!
they just came in and im listening to them right now!

i just LOVE the clarity!

Money Well Spent, though i can say Sorry for my wallet.. that was all i have. haha im poor

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #4,196 of 66,273
You & me have very similar taste in sound. Have you tried any Magnum headphone by any chance?

I still miss my MS-Pro but I now have some old vintage black SR325 and they sound extremely good.

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Madbull, I hope you will like the PS500. I have them now for ore than half a year but I have to say that I never really got into them. I think I really tried to like them and listened for quite a while only with them. Technically I think they are good headphones but I can not get used to their tonal balance. To my ears the mid bass is far to strong, which I find a pity because I like the rest of what I hear but the bass is too dominant for my liking. So, by now I went back to listen with my Alessandro pro or my SR325i on my main rig and with my ipod I either use my HF1 (which I find technically inferior to the PS500 but I prefer their balance much more...) or the beyerdynamic DT1350. The PS500 are in their box for long by now... and I know I should sell them but...

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #4,197 of 66,273
Quote:
You & me have very similar taste in sound. Have you tried any Magnum headphone by any chance?

I still miss my MS-Pro but I now have some old vintage black SR325 and they sound extremely good.

biggrin.gif

Simon - have you tried a FWJ with your 325's?

Just curious - as I really love the presentation wioth my 325i + Cabillas Iroko FWJ, but have always been curious about the magnums as well.  Trying to get a comparison point - but guessing I'll just have to buy a pair of V4 drivers if I really want to find out .....

Paul

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,199 of 66,273
Simon - have you tried a FWJ with your 325's?

Just curious - as I really love the presentation wioth my 325i + Cabillas Iroko FWJ, but have always been curious about the magnums as well.  Trying to get a comparison point - but guessing I'll just have to buy a pair of V4 drivers if I really want to find out .....

Paul

Hello Paul. Hope you doing good! :D. No i did not tried those SR325 in wood cup but to be honest i would't dare touching them. They have the best balanced of all my previous Grado headphone. Maybe on part with stock MS-Pro ( but not while they were set as MS-Ultimate).

They sound just right to me.

I have tried my Magnum v4 with Symphones aluminium sleeve with Back Ebony wood cups from Martin but I did not like the v4 signature. I found the bass to be too much with some music genre so I sold them. I was without Grado cans for a little while until I found the black Grado.

Cheer!

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #4,200 of 66,273
Quote:
Hello Paul. Hope you doing good!
biggrin.gif
. No i did not tried those SR325 in wood cup but to be honest i would't dare touching them. They have the best balanced of all my previous Grado headphone. Maybe on part with stock MS-Pro ( but not while they were set as MS-Ultimate).
They sound just right to me.
I have tried my Magnum v4 with Symphones aluminium sleeve with Back Ebony wood cups from Martin but I did not like the v4 signature. I found the bass to be too much with some music genre so I sold them. I was without Grado cans for a little while until I found the black Grado.
Cheer!

Thanks.  I love my 325is - the only thing I would like to achievce is to be able to use jumbos - without killing the sound.  I have in the back of my mind (already knowing the effect the jumbos have on the spectrum) that if I perhaps tried jumbos on the magnum drivers - I may be able to get the comfort I want - with a sound more akin to my current 325 fwj with bowls.

Unfortunately the likes of the PS1000 is well out of my budget (wife, kids, mortgage etc come first
wink.gif
) - so it's trying to find a compromise.  I may just have to take a leap of faith and order the magnum drivers from Rhydon - and see for myself ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back