Grado Fan Club!
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #41,701 of 65,623
yeah i just found out that forum an hour ago, i haven't really read his post though.mmmm it's probably the owner of head direct probably, if i remember correctly there used to be website/company called head direct or something he is the one who support financially for the hifiman development and then at some point they kinda broke up or something, it was very long time ago, my memory really fuzzy here. anyway, that's probably the only forum discussed fg1 in details

to be fair when i saw the first fg1 showed up online, it was in 2014 so there wasn't really any info regarding fg1 on google. he could be the one who bought that fg1
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=grado+fg1

again i wasn't expecting someone actually posting info/pictures or anything about fg1 really. what an elusive legendary headphone that fg1....man...plasmasonic probably real :D

you should ask your friend or people from freesystem haha give us inside story of this fg1. that must be one of hell story, a brooklyn company collaborate with singapore company creating a headphone... that's sound insane

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #41,702 of 65,623
digging up some old info about grado freesystem

s499172691.1.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/news/10934/index.html
From the cardboard brochure:
"Quality, Elegance Purity.

Experience the perfect balance of art and science, of simplicity and sophistication of purity with power.

From FreeSystems, the developer of Freespan (patent-pending) digital audio transmission technology and Grado Labs, world famous for its critically acclaimed headphones and phono cartridges, comes a truly ground-breaking product - the limited edition FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System.

The headphone system delivers perfect audio quality from your audio source to your favorite armchair through a crisp, clear and convenient digital wireless link - it's pure indulgence.

The pioneering system consits of the Freesystems-designed infra-red transmitter and receiver which incorporate the well-regarded Grado RA-1 headphone amplifier. The transmitter and receiver use Freespan full bandwidth, low noise, zero compression transmission technology to provide a crystal clear digital wireless link between the audio source and user.

Coupled with this is the understated yet classic headphone design from Grado Labs. The handcrafted precision headphone features machined aluminium components with a fine black leather headband that match the receiver's black and aluminium chassis.

Visually, the effect is a stunning balance of refined artisanship with cutting-edge technology - a balance as stunning as the sonic quality of the system itself.

The FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System, as a limited edition, is reserved for a select few - those special individuals who seek and appreciate art and science in perfect harmony. [evilcthul notes: or head-fizers/headwizers]"

Back of Brochure:
A state of the art headphone and amplifier system with Digital Wireless Link
* Digital Receiver with rechargeable NiMH batteries
* Charger
* Grado limited edition headphone
* Digital infra-red transmitter (not shown)
* User's Guide
* Limited edition certificate

Features:
Freespan wireless technology
* Full audio bandwidth (20hz to 20Khz @ -3dB)
* CD Quality
- Compression free
* No more hiss
- Crisp, clear and quiet
* Audio error correction
* Gentle mute

Grado Machined aluminium headphones:
*Hand crafted, matched

Infra-Red:
* Safe

Technical Specifications:
Transmitter
Power: external supply 100-240V 50-60Hz
Digital Audio Inputs: Optical (TOSLink), Coax (S/PDIF)
Analog audio input: 1 pair RCA phono jacks
High performance 24-bit ADC

Receiver
Power: built in, NiMH rechargeable battery
Charger: 100-240V 50-60hz
Horizontal pick-up: 360 dgrees
Amplifier: Grado RA1 Circuitry
High Performance 24bit DAC
Controls: off/on, mute
Battery Life: 5 hours

Grado Headphones
Type: open-air
Diaphragm: low mass polymer
Magnets: Neodymium
Voice Coils: Long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper
Driver: vented diaphragm design with a large air chamber.

11.jpg

The Digital Headphone System (www.FreeSystems-Grado-LE.com) which carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $3,800, will be available by February 1st, 2002, exclusively though a few select audio-video retailers.

no wonder it was never took off, it's more expensive than sony r10

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #41,703 of 65,623
digging up some old info about grado freesystem

s499172691.1.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/news/10934/index.html
From the cardboard brochure:
"Quality, Elegance Purity.

Experience the perfect balance of art and science, of simplicity and sophistication of purity with power.

From FreeSystems, the developer of Freespan (patent-pending) digital audio transmission technology and Grado Labs, world famous for its critically acclaimed headphones and phono cartridges, comes a truly ground-breaking product - the limited edition FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System.

The headphone system delivers perfect audio quality from your audio source to your favorite armchair through a crisp, clear and convenient digital wireless link - it's pure indulgence.

The pioneering system consits of the Freesystems-designed infra-red transmitter and receiver which incorporate the well-regarded Grado RA-1 headphone amplifier. The transmitter and receiver use Freespan full bandwidth, low noise, zero compression transmission technology to provide a crystal clear digital wireless link between the audio source and user.

Coupled with this is the understated yet classic headphone design from Grado Labs. The handcrafted precision headphone features machined aluminium components with a fine black leather headband that match the receiver's black and aluminium chassis.

Visually, the effect is a stunning balance of refined artisanship with cutting-edge technology - a balance as stunning as the sonic quality of the system itself.

The FreeSystems Grado Digital Headphone System, as a limited edition, is reserved for a select few - those special individuals who seek and appreciate art and science in perfect harmony. [evilcthul notes: or head-fizers/headwizers]"

Back of Brochure:
A state of the art headphone and amplifier system with Digital Wireless Link
* Digital Receiver with rechargeable NiMH batteries
* Charger
* Grado limited edition headphone
* Digital infra-red transmitter (not shown)
* User's Guide
* Limited edition certificate

Features:
Freespan wireless technology
* Full audio bandwidth (20hz to 20Khz @ -3dB)
* CD Quality
- Compression free
* No more hiss
- Crisp, clear and quiet
* Audio error correction
* Gentle mute

Grado Machined aluminium headphones:
*Hand crafted, matched

Infra-Red:
* Safe

Technical Specifications:
Transmitter
Power: external supply 100-240V 50-60Hz
Digital Audio Inputs: Optical (TOSLink), Coax (S/PDIF)
Analog audio input: 1 pair RCA phono jacks
High performance 24-bit ADC

Receiver
Power: built in, NiMH rechargeable battery
Charger: 100-240V 50-60hz
Horizontal pick-up: 360 dgrees
Amplifier: Grado RA1 Circuitry
High Performance 24bit DAC
Controls: off/on, mute
Battery Life: 5 hours

Grado Headphones
Type: open-air
Diaphragm: low mass polymer
Magnets: Neodymium
Voice Coils: Long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper
Driver: vented diaphragm design with a large air chamber.

11.jpg

The Digital Headphone System (www.FreeSystems-Grado-LE.com) which carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $3,800, will be available by February 1st, 2002, exclusively though a few select audio-video retailers.

no wonder it was never took off, it's more expensive than sony r10

Hey Ruhenhei,

Wow .. nice work Mr. Sherlock !

Thanks for the sharing .. think sound quality via then wireless technology especially >>15 yrs is also questionable but can only speculate since no chance to audition.

But for the headphone alone, it ia touted possibly sounding better than the not inexpensive and too bad sounding PS1 that followed.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #41,704 of 65,623
Hey Ruhenhei,

Wow .. nice work Mr. Sherlock !

Thanks for the sharing .. think sound quality via then wireless technology especially >>15 yrs is also questionable but can only speculate since no chance to audition.

Cheers.

Richard
yeah, there was also a stigma for the system, it's probably just sr325 + ra1 with good chance of questionable sound quality from wireless connection since it was early 2000s. with that money you could buy entire lines of grado(still in production) back in those 2002. gs1000 not even exist back then

you really have a good friend!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #41,705 of 65,623
But those efforts where not that exorbitantly expensive even 5 years ago. What has changed? Some people prefer the flagships of 5-10 years ago to the newer models being released now, so do those efforts really have so much value? There could be a new model out there that is indeed outstanding, sure, but it is hard to believe that EVERYTHING released recently is a work of engineering art and really worth the asking price.

I agree...prices on flagship have started looking very much like they are no longer representative of materials and workmanship and are more tied to what the market will put up with. I'm not a fan.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #41,706 of 65,623
I agree...prices on flagship have started looking very much like they are no longer representative of materials and workmanship and are more tied to what the market will put up with. I'm not a fan.

Hi fleasbaby,

Indeed and we also know:

1. rich getting richer and more populated .. more bragging rights with less true appreciation of sound quality and technologies involved .. can punt for sufficient willing buyers

2. increasing cost in development amd short product life with many competitions especially from the east .. survival mode

3. poor are getting poorer and middle class are paying mortgages, cars, mba, student loans etc. and subjected to uncertainties of contract employment as well as so called only constant of modern life i.e. changes ... again get the rich buyers and hope can substain to offset

4. Still niche market and younger gen are mp3 gen albeit dap is helping to reverse that trend a bit ... shrinking market

5. 40-60% profits to this very niche market of high end .. flagship models are inflated more and rrp is artificially published

For the vanity in me and below reason , I do also go for flagship models of any brand e.g. Denafrips Terminator Plus, Audible Illusion, Sanders Magtech, Revel Salon 2 (used) that I have now and not big brand names.

I will try to avoid getting even 2nd or 3rd model of any brand and certainly not the bottom model of these big brand names. At the least, I am more assured that the often designers cum owners of smaller brand names go for broke to ensure sound quality else they will not survive competition.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #41,707 of 65,623
Hi fleasbaby,

Indeed and we also know:

1. rich getting richer and more populated .. more bragging rights with less true appreciation of sound quality and technologies involved .. can punt for sufficient willing buyers

2. increasing cost in development amd short product life with many competitions especially from the east .. survival mode

3. poor are getting poorer and middle class are paying mortgages, cars, mba, student loans etc. and subjected to uncertainties of contract employment as well as so called only constant of modern life i.e. changes ... again get the rich buyers and hope can substain to offset

4. Still niche market and younger gen are mp3 gen albeit dap is helping to reverse that trend a bit ... shrinking market

5. 40-60% profits to this very niche market of high end .. flagship models are inflated more and rrp is artificially published

For the vanity in me and below reason , I do also go for flagship models of any brand e.g. Denafrips Terminator Plus, Audible Illusion, Sanders Magtech, Revel Salon 2 (used) that I have now and not big brand names.

I will try to avoid getting even 2nd or 3rd and certainly not the bottom model of these big brand names. At the least, I am more assured that the often designers cum owners go for broke to ensure soind quality else they will not survive competition.

Cheers.

Richard
that's the beauty of free market :D as american always said there's nothing wrong with free market
happy 4th of july btw to all americans

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #41,708 of 65,623
Hmm, poor getting poorer? Richer get richer, more bragging rights with less true appreciation of sound quality... Haha really? Not everything as to do with making audioproducts.

Little suggestion: Hans Rowling - Factfulness, ten reasons we're wrong about the world — and why things are better than you think

In the mean time: audio products are getting better and better. And...more affordable.

Rethink your list. Cheers Chris

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #41,709 of 65,623
Hmm, poor getting poorer? Richer get richer, more bragging rights with less true appreciation of sound quality... Haha really? Not everything as to do with making audioproducts.

Little suggestion: Hans Rowling - Factfulness, ten reasons we're wrong about the world — and why things are better than you think

In the mean time: audio products are getting better and better. And...more affordable.

Rethink your list. Cheers Chris
little suggestion : VOC, perhaps reading few things about them would help get some perspective

in the mean time: little bit of comedy

all words just crystal clear with grado

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #41,710 of 65,623
I will try to avoid getting even 2nd or 3rd model of any brand and certainly not the bottom model of these big brand names. At the least, I am more assured that the often designers cum owners of smaller brand names go for broke to ensure sound quality else they will not survive competition.

Funny, 'cause I think that some of these smaller companies are the ones creating the "problem". I don't think they are doing it only out of greed either - they are out to demonstrate that they are the best and they are using price as "proof". The rest of them then play the game of keeping up with the manufacturer Joneses.

Most of the outrageously priced models I've seen are being released by companies "new" (10-15 years old, more or less) to the headphone industry.

Sure, some old school companies like Sennheiser, Sony and AKG had released some really expensive models in the past...but they did not issue a new headphone every year or two that was $1000 more expensive than their previous model.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #41,711 of 65,623
Fewer people buy loudspeakers, so headphones is often the main system people use. And since "regular" people who used to spend $30 on headphones, are now buying $200 airpods, there will be a market for those seeking high end sound, for even more money

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #41,712 of 65,623
Funny, 'cause I think that some of these smaller companies are the ones creating the "problem". I don't think they are doing it only out of greed either - they are out to demonstrate that they are the best and they are using price as "proof". The rest of them then play the game of keeping up with the manufacturer Joneses.

Most of the outrageously priced models I've seen are being released by companies "new" (10-15 years old, more or less) to the headphone industry.

Sure, some old school companies like Sennheiser, Sony and AKG had released some really expensive models in the past...but they did not issue a new headphone every year or two that was $1000 more expensive than their previous model.

Hi elvergun,

Understand that this is a head-fi forum and sorry for not being clear or having misunderstood the original intention of the original statement.

Big brand aka higher end names that that I am referring to are not headphone brands alone like Sennheiser, Sony and AK that are not niche but try Magico, FM Acoustics, Clearaudio etc. and many more into >>100k flagship products.

Dealers of Sennheiser, Sony and AK also do not get 40-60% profits of sales.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #41,713 of 65,623
Fewer people buy loudspeakers, so headphones is often the main system people use. And since "regular" people who used to spend $30 on headphones, are now buying $200 airpods, there will be a market for those seeking high end sound, for even more money

Fewer people are buying traditional loudspeakers. Regular people are now buying bluetooth speakers to use as their main system (stuff that can easily pair with their TV or phone). Regular people are also using the buds that came with their phones or they are buying bluetooth headphones.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #41,714 of 65,623
Fewer people are buying traditional loudspeakers. Regular people are now buying bluetooth speakers to use as their main system (stuff that can easily pair with their TV or phone). Regular people are also using the buds that came with their phones or they are buying bluetooth headphones.
flagship audio market just using bugatti method, it's proven method. when they released veyron, they didn't aim it for people that want to buy their first super car, they aimed it for the people that already have super cars and yachts, and then it open up a whole new markets, back then 1 million dollar super car was unheard of, now that's pretty much the minimum price to get super car. it's same thing with all those expensive headphones when people buy 5-50 grand headphones, that headphone won't be their first flagship, or even their first high end headphones, it just a whole new market and sadly not many people could get into that market.

somehow no one thought that before, there are some people in this world that have money and doesn't mind to buy pretty much the same things over and over.whole new market...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back