Grado Fan Club!
May 7, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #41,326 of 65,629
Anyone have any experience with any alternatives

I do have the pads referred to above from Beautiful Audio in New Zealand. Pricey, but SUPER comfortable and don't affect the music, for me.

May 7, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #41,328 of 65,629
Does it make it better/the same.
The foam is very open and airy...does it take it away???...I can see them as muffling things
They come with two sets of "fillers". I use the white foam ones. They do compress after a while, but still sound great to me. There is a mesh one that I didn't care for as it pushed the cups too far from my ears. However when that mesh compresses it might be just the perfect filler.

I noticed no difference in sound. The stock pads on my GH2's hurt my ears on long listening sessions.

May 7, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #41,329 of 65,629
@Bonesy Jonesy
did you able to pick or take a look at the wood grain of your gs3000e first? or is it just pure luck? yours really have a beauty looking grain
i'm really curious how many people going to be happy if they got theirs like these one?
EXUyXLFU4AAJNRg

if i got one of those... i probably going to ask for replacement...
True...but it’s about selection and...the fading is due to them not finishing and sealing the wood..
Grado certainly thinks it's not a defect. They showcased a light-toned unit at their own CanJam booth.

It is indeed about selection. You get white/pale ivory streaks like that in Ebony too. Typically you pay more to have your wood dealer select out pieces without the streaking (I think one guy I buy from charges 5% or something like that for this). You can also buy Black and White Ebony, which is all streaks of white and black. Some people like it, some don't. I remember Rich commenting on the pair they had at CanJam SoCal last year, he seemed to think it was pretty cool. I personally think its part of the charm of working with a natural product.

The change in color/fading comes usually with exposure to normal UV light. Padauk starts out a brilliant orange color when its freshly turned, but turns to a rich, deep auburn with a little time. The only way to stop the change is use a UV resistant wood finish. Again, its all part of the charm of using a natural product though. I personally love seeing a piece move through its various shades, and enjoy knowing a piece has been loved and used extensively instead of packed away in a black box somewhere.

Note he two times I used the word "personally" here. It takes all sorts. I can see how someone who shelled out a large amount of money for a pair of these would expect rigorous, consistent wood selection and extensive finish work to maintain a certain look.

May 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #41,330 of 65,629
They come with two sets of "fillers". I use the white foam ones. They do compress after a while, but still sound great to me. There is a mesh one that I didn't care for as it pushed the cups too far from my ears. However when that mesh compresses it might be just the perfect filler.

I noticed no difference in sound. The stock pads on my GH2's hurt my ears on long listening sessions.

Very curious
Is the GH2 same size as the ps1000

May 7, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #41,331 of 65,629
May 7, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #41,333 of 65,629
Very curious
Is the GH2 same size as the ps1000
if you able to notice the differences from this picture... it's more or less like that
8743837.jpg

(pic source: you know who)

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #41,334 of 65,629
that's not mine. and it's come just like that, not the first time i saw that kind of pattern in grado headphones with cocobolo wood
Oooo I'm getting worried now that mine might change for the worse. I guess not having them directly in front of sunlight by a window and having them in a reasonably stable temperature and humidity room is the way to go. I think you have to treat, handle and care of the wood Grado's like a wood instrument especially when made from a wood like cocobola.

May 7, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #41,335 of 65,629
if you able to notice the differences from this picture... it's more or less like that
8743837.jpg

(pic source: you know who)
Awesome collection !

May 7, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #41,337 of 65,629
Oooo I'm getting worried now that mine might change for the worse. I guess not having them directly in front of sunlight by a window and having them in a reasonably stable temperature and humidity room is the way to go. I think you have to treat, handle and care of the wood Grado's like a wood instrument especially when made from a wood like cocobola.
i think grado cure the wood first before they selling it so the changes wouldn't be that dramatic and from what i understand usually wood aging to darken color so yours should be fine.probably give a bit of wood conditioner/oil from time to time so the wood going to look fresh and shiny :D

May 7, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #41,338 of 65,629
i think grado cure the wood first before they selling it so the changes wouldn't be that dramatic and from what i understand usually wood aging to darken color so yours should be fine.probably give a bit of wood conditioner/oil from time to time so the wood going to look fresh and shiny :D

It’s because they only use an oil sealer...it looks...I’m thinking they need a good finish put on them instead. Then it wouldn’t change.

May 7, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #41,339 of 65,629
Yeah, my cocobolo GH2s are getting pretty dark. Every 2 weeks or so, I do a quick polish with a soft cotton cloth and just a tiny bit of mineral oil. I don't think you can "lighten them up" but it restores a bit of shine and really brings out the contrast between the brown and reddish/orange colors.

May 7, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #41,340 of 65,629
And BTW, I love the sudden spike in activity on this thread. Keep it up, fellow Grado-heads! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back