Grado Fan Club!
May 8, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #41,341 of 65,549
i think grado cure the wood first before they selling it so the changes wouldn't be that dramatic and from what i understand usually wood aging to darken color so yours should be fine.probably give a bit of wood conditioner/oil from time to time so the wood going to look fresh and shiny :D
Maybe good to ask Grado what they recommend regarding aftercare of their wooden series headphones.

May 8, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #41,342 of 65,549
Maybe good to ask Grado what they recommend regarding aftercare of their wooden series headphones.
you should ask them then, i don't have rs1 anymore :D
well...i do have grado wooden box but i feel a bit dumb to polish the wooden box...

May 8, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #41,344 of 65,549
you should ask them then, i don't have rs1 anymore :D
well...i do have grado wooden box but i feel a bit dumb to polish the wooden box...
Yes, I have sent Grado UK a message. As it's UK public holiday today, I don't expect an answer back till this coming Monday.

May 8, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #41,345 of 65,549
Yes, I have sent Grado UK a message. As it's UK public holiday today, I don't expect an answer back till this coming Monday.
let's see if the reply would be tung oil!

May 8, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #41,346 of 65,549
Yeah, my cocobolo GH2s are getting pretty dark. Every 2 weeks or so, I do a quick polish with a soft cotton cloth and just a tiny bit of mineral oil. I don't think you can "lighten them up" but it restores a bit of shine and really brings out the contrast between the brown and reddish/orange colors.

Yeah, there's no lightening after the wood darkens. Unless you put the cups on a lathe and literally remove the darkened surface area. That changes the dimensions of your cup though and basically just screws everything up. Relax and enjoy the slow maturing of the headphones and the patina they develop with time :)

May 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #41,347 of 65,549
Yeah, there's no lightening after the wood darkens. Unless you put the cups on a lathe and literally remove the darkened surface area. That changes the dimensions of your cup though and basically just screws everything up. Relax and enjoy the slow maturing of the headphones and the patina they develop with time :)

That actually does make me feel a lot better about them.. I just assumed my skin oil was ruining them lol

May 8, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #41,348 of 65,549
That actually does make me feel a lot better about them.. I just assumed my skin oil was ruining them lol

LOL...no, handling them is a good thing :). Left alone somewhere, they dry out, the driver coils eventually oxidize, and its just a terrible, shameful waste.

May 9, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #41,350 of 65,549
Since getting my Grados I've absolutely loved listening to them - they have been a straight up revolution in music for me.

However, I've enjoyed just looking at them almost as much as listening. I adore the design of the prestige series. I've been looking up headphone stands so I can better appreciate them and I was wondering what kind of setup you guys have?

May 9, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #41,351 of 65,549
Since getting my Grados I've absolutely loved listening to them - they have been a straight up revolution in music for me.

However, I've enjoyed just looking at them almost as much as listening. I adore the design of the prestige series. I've been looking up headphone stands so I can better appreciate them and I was wondering what kind of setup you guys have?
I have the famous Woo Audio Headphone Stands for one headphone and two headphones on one stand in silver aluminium. Had them for over 6+ years now and they still look great. Was lucky to buy them second hand in the UK from a fellow Head-Fi.org member.

May 9, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #41,352 of 65,549

I have two of these wooden Samdi headphone stands which I have had for two years and look as new. The only caveat is that if you have bespoke cables, then the height of the stand might not be enough but they seem to work well with stock cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMDI-Head...d=1589036271&sprefix=headphone,aps,153&sr=8-7

May 9, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #41,353 of 65,549
I have two of these wooden Samdi headphone stands which I have had for two years and look as new. The only caveat is that if you have bespoke cables, then the height of the stand might not be enough but they seem to work well with stock cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMDI-Headphone-Headset-Display-Hanger-brown/dp/B00Z9WAT96/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2H798DLB5YSQ7&dchild=1&keywords=headphone+stand+wood&qid=1589036271&sprefix=headphone,aps,153&sr=8-7
The cable is something I'm worried about. There are lots of decent looking stands on Amazon but I keep thinking where am I gunna hide the cable? I hate loose wires :/

One of the few aspects of the Grados which I'm not a fan of is the lack of a removable cable...

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #41,354 of 65,549

your grado going to be much better looking with a new headband than a headphone stand :D
ultrasone stand looks nice, there are plenty of knock off options too, much cheaper but also mostly using plastics not aluminium.treat it like a stripper. just stare no touching

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back