Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #40,801 of 66,259
Thanks for all your replies - definitely considering GH2 seriously at this moment.

I guess I can spend ~$550 for it now and then wait until I save up more money to get something like PS2000e :o2smile:

I suppose Shane D and I are the local "GH2" evangelists, but there really isn't anything I can complain about them (especially if you like the Grado sound.) My favorite part about them is their ability to actually play bass notes with meaningful impact compared to the other Grados I've listened to in this class and many other open-backs in general.

If I had to nitpick, they are finicky regarding positioning on your ears. For example, moving them forward towards my face can make the treble not as bright, but then you lose some of the realism on certain acoustic or instrumental music. If I move them a bit lower on my ears, I can get a more pronounced mid-bass, but it might sound muddier. A funny thing I've noticed, if I put my fingers around the cups and kind of "squish" the pads into a tighter circle shape while listening, the sound-stage seems a bit wider and the bass seems to extend a bit lower. I might be going crazy or imagining things, but I noticed a lot of these things on accident a couple times before trying to replicate them and it's fairly consistent -- at least for my ears and head shape possibly.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #40,802 of 66,259
I will vote for the GH2s great directly from my MacBook pro
I use beautiful audio merino hybrid pads with it ,great match with the gh2s
https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands

I also agree with bozebuttons. If you can get the GH2 now do so and then if you are liking them as I am sure you will then save up for the GS3000e or PS2000e as they are the best in the line up in my opinion. BTW, I liked the GH2 with the stock pads but I had followed Bozebuttons recommendation and got the Beautiful Audio pads he mentioned. I feel for me it took them up a step in sound.

Enjoy the journey.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #40,803 of 66,259
I suppose Shane D and I are the local "GH2" evangelists, but there really isn't anything I can complain about them (especially if you like the Grado sound.) My favorite part about them is their ability to actually play bass notes with meaningful impact compared to the other Grados I've listened to in this class and many other open-backs in general.

If I had to nitpick, they are finicky regarding positioning on your ears. For example, moving them forward towards my face can make the treble not as bright, but then you lose some of the realism on certain acoustic or instrumental music. If I move them a bit lower on my ears, I can get a more pronounced mid-bass, but it might sound muddier. A funny thing I've noticed, if I put my fingers around the cups and kind of "squish" the pads into a tighter circle shape while listening, the sound-stage seems a bit wider and the bass seems to extend a bit lower. I might be going crazy or imagining things, but I noticed a lot of these things on accident a couple times before trying to replicate them and it's fairly consistent -- at least for my ears and head shape possibly.

Okay now.... We of course will need exact measurements of your head, ears and length of hair including hair style.... We need to be scientific here. Kidding aside this is the kind of experimentation that can often yield excellent results. I myself always find exact positioning can most often optimize the results that most please you. There is no right or wrong here, just your personal prefererences.

Thanks......

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #40,804 of 66,259
I would say PS2000e if you don’t mind the weight.

I love mine...best Grado headphones in production! I don't mind the weight as I find the distribution quite good...but man o' man do they rock!!!

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #40,805 of 66,259
I love mine...best Grado headphones in production! I don't mind the weight as I find the distribution quite good...but man o' man do they rock!!!

I agree and for me I would extend that to "best Grado Headphone ever made". I do have a Joseph Grado Signature HP2 which is extremely neutral and sounds particularly good with the Melos SHA-1, excellent synergy. With all that I still prefer the PS2000e.
GRADO PS2000e  close.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #40,806 of 66,259
just saw some prices for PS2000e... that's gonna take awhile for me to save up for it. PS1000e is a bit more palatable and I could be aiming at that.

Not gonna think too much about it since I'm gonna focus on GH2 for awhile once I buy it, but it's good to have goals. I think I might be able to pull off PS1000e/GS3000e/GS2000e in several months. if PS1000e has roughly the same quality as both of those GS's, then I might lean towards that. at the same time, I'd love to hear feedbacks on those three and which would be the best.

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #40,807 of 66,259
Hello everyone - first time posting here.

I currently live in Korea and looking at a few Grados to choose from. I previously used a 225e when I lived in the States and I loved the sound. That was a few years ago and I was in college. Loved the very vivacious highs back then. Now that I'm a bit older, I think I could make do with something a bit calmer yet I wouldn't be opposed to that reckless, yet energetic treble sounds.

My options are... GS1000e, GH2 and RS2e. There's a Korean audio dealer site (very reputable) that has one of each in discounts. I wasn't expecting to run into it when I was initially searching for a Korean place to buy Grados. pretty lucky to know of it!

been researching all over the internet to see which would be the best one. Because the 225e is the only Grado I have used so far, I'm pretty open-minded as to which to get. I'm wondering if I should get either GH2 or RS2e and save some money until I would be able to splurge on something like PS2000e or GS3000e, or get GH1000e right away if it's worth the cost... decisions decisions :L3000:

since one's music taste seems to be one of the deciding factors on these things - I'm pretty eclectic. can range from 70's classic rock to 2010's PC music. I guess I'm in it for the best audio quality overall here!

I would like to give you my 2 cents. Everyone's tastes are a little different, but I had the GH2, and currently own the RS2e and GS1000i (have heard the GS1000e at a local shop but is was quite a while ago). Of the three Grado's my clear preference is the GS1000i. I had the GH2 and RS2e at the same time and sold the GH2 as it did not significantly better the RS2e. The GH2 may have had a bit more bass, but the RS2e was my preference...until the GS1000i came along...better than the RS2e in nearly every way. So much so that I am thinking of selling my RS2e as they are not getting any head time.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #40,808 of 66,259
just saw some prices for PS2000e... that's gonna take awhile for me to save up for it. PS1000e is a bit more palatable and I could be aiming at that.

Not gonna think too much about it since I'm gonna focus on GH2 for awhile once I buy it, but it's good to have goals. I think I might be able to pull off PS1000e/GS3000e/GS2000e in several months. if PS1000e has roughly the same quality as both of those GS's, then I might lean towards that. at the same time, I'd love to hear feedbacks on those three and which would be the best.

The GH2's are a good starting point without breaking the bank. I think maybe the GS3000e's are my end game, but it is just too pricey for me right now. But someday...:gs1000smile:

I have read a lot of good things about the RS2e's, if you came across some at a good price. I think they sold for about the same prices as the GH2's. Although they are not cocobolo's.:grin:

I really do like the woodies. And they are so light.

Shane D

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #40,809 of 66,259

The PS1000e is a fine headphone...but MUCH leaner and almost assertively analytical than the others. It is closest to the GS2000 in a few ways....but one doesn't substitute for the other. The GS3000 is the richest sounding of the whole line...for me, the best expenditure of (big) money...and, was, for me, more satisfying than the PS2000e at a grand less - though that is a matter of a kind of aesthetic fit. If you can listen, do so....for me, the PS1000e is going to be more a matter of taste than most of the Grado models.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #40,810 of 66,259
Hello everyone - first time posting here.

I currently live in Korea and looking at a few Grados to choose from. I previously used a 225e when I lived in the States and I loved the sound. That was a few years ago and I was in college. Loved the very vivacious highs back then. Now that I'm a bit older, I think I could make do with something a bit calmer yet I wouldn't be opposed to that reckless, yet energetic treble sounds.

My options are... GS1000e, GH2 and RS2e. There's a Korean audio dealer site (very reputable) that has one of each in discounts. I wasn't expecting to run into it when I was initially searching for a Korean place to buy Grados. pretty lucky to know of it!

been researching all over the internet to see which would be the best one. Because the 225e is the only Grado I have used so far, I'm pretty open-minded as to which to get. I'm wondering if I should get either GH2 or RS2e and save some money until I would be able to splurge on something like PS2000e or GS3000e, or get GH1000e right away if it's worth the cost... decisions decisions :L3000:

since one's music taste seems to be one of the deciding factors on these things - I'm pretty eclectic. can range from 70's classic rock to 2010's PC music. I guess I'm in it for the best audio quality overall here!
My comparisons of the three headphones would be GH2 > RS2e >> GS1000e.

If you want details. please go to the link listed in red in my signature line, which sorts a whole lot of 3-way comparisons, one comparing GH2 to RS2e and several comparisons that include the GS1000e, including one to the RS2e.

In short, the RS2e and GH2 were almost interchangeable, but the GS1000e, despite its much more comfortable over-ear pads (the GH2 and RS2e are on ear) and huge sound stage, had a monotone tubbiness in its bass, almost as if the bass were passing through a resonant barrel, which imposed its own frequency on whatever the true bass pitch was. After 400 hours of use, ot continued to decrease, to the point that I no longer noticed it if I just listened to the GS1000e alone, but as soon as I compared it, I noted it again.

That said, though I sold the GS1000e, I wish I still had them! I still enjoyed them!!

Now, if you can get your hands on a GS1000i, THAT is a different story... they are GREAT! (again, see the red link).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #40,811 of 66,259
My comparisons of the three headphones would be GH2 > RS2e >> GS1000e.

If you want details. please go to the link listed in red in my signature line, which sorts a whole lot of 3-way comparisons, one comparing GH2 to RS2e and several comparisons that include the GS1000e, including one to the RS2e.

In short, the RS2e and GH2 were almost interchangeable, but the GS1000e, despite its much more comfortable over-ear pads (the GH2 and RS2e are on ear) and huge sound stage, had a monotone tubbiness in its bass, almost as if the bass were passing through a resonant barrel, which imposed its own frequency on whatever the true bass pitch was. After 400 hours of use, ot continued to decrease, to the point that I no longer noticed it if I just listened to the GS1000e alone, but as soon as I compared it, I noted it again.

That said, though I sold the GS1000e, I wish I still had them! I still enjoyed them!!

Now, if you can get your hands on a GS1000i, THAT is a different story... they are GREAT! (again, see the red link).

This is an amazing effort. Thank you very much. Now, I'll be binging on these comparisons, if you don't mind.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #40,812 of 66,259
This is an amazing effort. Thank you very much. Now, I'll be binging on these comparisons, if you don't mind.

Sounds like me back a few months ago lol. I bought my first pair back in May last year (the wireless GW100) to take on a cruise. After the initial adjustment period of getting used to the noticeably emphasized mid bass (I think due to the "S-pads" that mean the driver is literally a millimeter from your ear), I fell in love with the warmth and lack of any coloration from an enclosed casing.

I found a new album to binge around September (Terry Reid - "Seed of Memory" -- check out this song "Faith to Arise": )

and noticed just how much better it sounded on my Grados vs my Sennheiser HD 280Pros (different price class, different purpose etc., I know) and any ear buds I have. So then I start doing the same thing you are now with trying to decide on a new set and already made my mind it was gonna be another Grado. I researched everywhere I could, and was about to settle on the SR-225e, hearing it was the best in the Prestige line and well worth the $200 (I can't deal with harsh or heavily boosted treble, which all reports mention of the 325e). But then someone mentioned that the GW100 was using the same driver -- not sure if that's true or not, but I wanted my next pair to be a step above in sound quality, but also have it's own "character".

I was pretty set on the RS-2e, hearing it was the best bang for your buck in the sub $1000 in many places, etc. But then after hearing equally universal praise for the GH2, seeing the beautiful Cocobolo wood housing, and that it has just enough "extra" bass compared to most Grados that it's basically on par with other cans it moved to the top of my list. At the time of my shopping, I could buy the RS-2e for ~$500 new and there weren't any used listings for any less (once shipping was included). I found a few used GH2s on eBay for a decent price, offered a bit less and after the seller accepted my offer I ended up paying just a bit more than a new RS-2e + shipping, tax & handling would have been. I figured I didn't want to always second guess myself after purchasing an RS-2e and always wondering if I'd have liked the GH2 more? Thanks to me starting to read this thread about 500 pages back, I think I got a good feel for the quality and enjoyment the Brooklyn cans can bring!

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #40,815 of 66,259
@ruthieandjohn & @zombywoof +1 on the GS1000I I had to go to the used market to find a pristine pair, but grateful I didn't spring for a new GS1000e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back