Grado Fan Club!
Nov 21, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #40,576 of 65,687
Just got the HF3s in from Todd's loaner program this afternoon. I've put about 60-90 minutes on them so far and should have some notes and comparisons to my GH2s in a few days. But the first few things that jump out:

• They are more "in your face" -- soundstage is much closer / smaller than GH2s but still very enjoyable for most music. The tone almost reminds me of turning the "Presence" knob up on vintage 70s and 80s hifi speakers. This is great for additional details but might be considered "bright" for some people. I've never tried the SR325x series, but I wonder if this sounds somewhat similar?
  • It seems that the emphasis on the frequency response is shifted up about 1/3 to 1/2 an octave. Not sure exactly how to explain this sound otherwise. Maybe in the full review. Bass seems to roll off linearly right around the initial thump of a bass drum -- maybe 70Hz? I haven't run a series of test tones. This and the point above are likely closely related.
  • The oak body is gorgeous -- the grain is a bit more coarse and the contrast is greater than on the GH2. They are also lighter and don't have the extra "flair" on the outside that the GH2s do. The extra density and mass of the cocobolo wood might provide more dampening and lower the resonance of the cans in them vs. the oak used in the HF3.
  • From what I can see, there is only one vent hole on the magnet structure of the driver. If there is a second one, it is covered by the glob they attach to the magnet casing (which starts in the center and kind of nicely "spreads" towards the outside of the magnet structure -- exactly opposite position of where the second vent hole would be.) There appears to be a bit more of this material on the HF3 drivers than on my GH2s.
  • I've had a decently bad sinus cold the past week so I know my hearing isn't 100%, but I haven't listened to the GH2s since Tuesday so that I can try and find a baseline with these before making a judgement based on what my ears are used to. However I did throw on the Sennheiser HD 280Pros briefly to see if the lesser bass was just because my sinuses are clogged. The first thing I noticed is that these cans are much lighter on my head and don't have that AWFUL congested, plastic & closed back resonance in the midrange. However, the bass seems almost exactly the same. My guess is the bit brighter tuning on the HF3s vs HD 280s makes the bass SEEM less than it is. However it is very natural sounding and uncolored.

Well that wasn't as short as I'd planned, but again that's after ~1 hour of listening. So far, I think they are a great set of cans. Again, my only Grados to compare against are the GW100 and GH2, so take that into consideration where my reference points are.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #40,577 of 65,687
Just got the HF3s in from Todd's loaner program this afternoon. I've put about 60-90 minutes on them so far and should have some notes and comparisons to my GH2s in a few days. But the first few things that jump out:

• They are more "in your face" -- soundstage is much closer / smaller than GH2s but still very enjoyable for most music. The tone almost reminds me of turning the "Presence" knob up on vintage 70s and 80s hifi speakers. This is great for additional details but might be considered "bright" for some people. I've never tried the SR325x series, but I wonder if this sounds somewhat similar?
  • It seems that the emphasis on the frequency response is shifted up about 1/3 to 1/2 an octave. Not sure exactly how to explain this sound otherwise. Maybe in the full review. Bass seems to roll off linearly right around the initial thump of a bass drum -- maybe 70Hz? I haven't run a series of test tones. This and the point above are likely closely related.
  • The oak body is gorgeous -- the grain is a bit more coarse and the contrast is greater than on the GH2. They are also lighter and don't have the extra "flair" on the outside that the GH2s do. The extra density and mass of the cocobolo wood might provide more dampening and lower the resonance of the cans in them vs. the oak used in the HF3.
  • From what I can see, there is only one vent hole on the magnet structure of the driver. If there is a second one, it is covered by the glob they attach to the magnet casing (which starts in the center and kind of nicely "spreads" towards the outside of the magnet structure -- exactly opposite position of where the second vent hole would be.) There appears to be a bit more of this material on the HF3 drivers than on my GH2s.
  • I've had a decently bad sinus cold the past week so I know my hearing isn't 100%, but I haven't listened to the GH2s since Tuesday so that I can try and find a baseline with these before making a judgement based on what my ears are used to. However I did throw on the Sennheiser HD 280Pros briefly to see if the lesser bass was just because my sinuses are clogged. The first thing I noticed is that these cans are much lighter on my head and don't have that AWFUL congested, plastic & closed back resonance in the midrange. However, the bass seems almost exactly the same. My guess is the bit brighter tuning on the HF3s vs HD 280s makes the bass SEEM less than it is. However it is very natural sounding and uncolored.

Well that wasn't as short as I'd planned, but again that's after ~1 hour of listening. So far, I think they are a great set of cans. Again, my only Grados to compare against are the GW100 and GH2, so take that into consideration where my reference points are.

I love the idea of a Head-Fi Grado, but I am awfully happy with my GH2's.

Shane D

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #40,578 of 65,687
I love the idea of a Head-Fi Grado, but I am awfully happy with my GH2's.

Shane D

Yeah, I definitely notice less bass extension compared to the GH2. I am going to give them a fair chance and listen to these for a couple days before giving final impressions though! The GH2 just have such a smooth sound -- never harsh nor shrilly, maybe a slight "U" shaped EQ, but nothing too drastic to color the sound (especially compared to most consumer devices!)

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #40,579 of 65,687
Yeah, I definitely notice less bass extension compared to the GH2. I am going to give them a fair chance and listen to these for a couple days before giving final impressions though! The GH2 just have such a smooth sound -- never harsh nor shrilly, maybe a slight "U" shaped EQ, but nothing too drastic to color the sound (especially compared to most consumer devices!)

I started out by liking the SR325e's and occasionally loving them. Kind of fun, but noisy (bright).

Then I found the GH2's and to me they were the SR325e's made perfect and I fell deeply and totally in love.:heart_eyes:

I think that maybe the GS series might a big step up, particularly the GS3000e's.

However, for that money I got:
1) used HD58X's
2) used Shure 1540's
3) used Schiit Vali 2
4) SMSL SP200
5) Koss ESP/E95X
6) Liquid Spark
7) Cavalli LCX
8) Burson Fun-Classic

For the price of new GS3000e's, I bought all the above. And I would NOT trade all the above for a pair of headphones.

Maybe in a year or two I would consider buying those used. Probably about $1,750.00 in Canada. Even used they would be most expensive headphones EVER, for me. So, probably not...:stuck_out_tongue:

Shane D

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #40,580 of 65,687
I never had the pleasure of listening to the GH2 but I do own the 325is, GS1000 and did own the HF3. I love the 325is but the HF3 is much better. Very good sounding headphone. I would have kept mine but I purchased the GS1000 around the same time and opted to keep it and return the HF3.

Nov 21, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #40,581 of 65,687
[*]From what I can see, there is only one vent hole (on the HF3) on the magnet structure of the driver.

I wonder why Grado intentionally designs their headphones like this. The PS1000 has 4 vented holes. The GS3000e has 5. Modders can go create up to 10 holes by poking the felt, which adds a significant amount of bass impact. I don't know anyone who has done the vent mod on an entry-level Grado (SR60e/80e) and regretted it.

Nov 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #40,582 of 65,687
I wonder why Grado intentionally designs their headphones like this. The PS1000 has 4 vented holes. The GS3000e has 5. Modders can go create up to 10 holes by poking the felt, which adds a significant amount of bass impact. I don't know anyone who has done the vent mod on an entry-level Grado (SR60e/80e) and regretted it.
I have. Poking out all the holes adds a significant amount of unwanted mud.

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #40,583 of 65,687
Maybe I sound like a stuck CD, but the 3000e is head, shoulders, and torso above every headphone I have ever listened to; One reason I am willing to use this kind of language is that they are so much more satisfying on the basis of musical, emotional engagement, compared to the models we are talking about.

I am loyal to the brand but I appreciate other approaches to audio; I’ve had very good Sennheiser and Audeze... I’ve spent many months with all of the mid range and statement and professional models by Grado. There is no parameter in which the 3000 is not just “better“ but on a visceral level more satisfying. I’ve given up much-needed sleep in order to listen to “just one more thing”. For all of the well-deserved praise and high regard of the 1000 and 2000 in both the statement and professional ranges, I’ve simply never been as transfixed by music as I have been through these headphones, the 3000e. Sumptuous tonality, often downright bizarre level of transparency… The lower frequencies are somewhat deeper and Fuller, was excellent pitch and definition, compared to the other models.

The decay of the ride cymbal is not just a go to indicator of audio performance, but, as a drummer, I absolutely love the sound and infinite, delicate attack, decay, and harmonics coming from drums and cymbals played by different, good players. You will hear that diminishing shimmer and pitch and harmonic overtones for as long as your ears are capable of discerning them

Yes, I must sound like a guy unrealistically smitten with his new girlfriend, but she hasn’t wavered a bit.

I will present it as an objective fact that the 3000e is a dramatically more sensitive, revealing, and acoustically rich transducer than any other device we discussed here;

Some review were called the 1000 the best transducer made by humans. I’ll call it an objective fact that the 3000 has both far greater resolution, but also sensitivity to the full harmonic and dynamic elements of music. Like I said elsewhere, it’s not subtle. Get them in balanced form if you can
I just got a set of the GS3000e.....and I don't think you are exaggerating. Wow.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #40,586 of 65,687
So back on topic, I don't wanna tear into or modify my current cans, but wouldn't mind playing around with or experimenting with one of the plastic Prestige series.

Scanning eBay, I see a bunch of SR60s and SR80s of various series, mostly the original (non "i") and the "e" series. As much as I've heard great things about the 125 and 225 line, I don't think I'd like to spend $100+ just to possibly break them haha. What model do you think would be the best starting point? Not looking to build the best sounding one, just tinker with the sound. If the SR60 and SR80 have the same drivers it would make sense to just use the 60 since it's the cheapest, right?

I know their is a whole Grado modders thread and don't wanna derail, but curious. If this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize!

I've "torn apart" SR60, SR80, SR225, SR225e, SR325i, RS2e, PS500, and PS500e and can say that its a lot of fun doing all the various mods to them. FWIW I've kept an old SR60 that had the "grattle" issue and only bought for the headband/gimbals for $10, cleaned them up by replacing the grill cloth which got rid of the "grattle", opened up 3 vent holes, added dynamat to the cups and on the edges of the vent holes opened up, added sorbothane to the back of the driver, generic G-pad and SMC jacks for removeable cables and to me these sound better than a friends GS1000e and PS1000e. This is one reason that I'd never buy anything over the RS2e or PS500e and the other is that I've found that many of the alternative drivers (Nhoord, Ypsilon, Magnum or Turbulent) sound better to me than any of the higher Grado headphones for a fraction of the cost.

To me the best thing about Grado headphones is that they are pretty easy to mod but for someone like me that loves the different sounds/presentations of various headphones they are unique but not perfect to replace all my other headphones.

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #40,588 of 65,687
Just keep in mind that modding Grado headphones means Grado won't service them if needed (depending on how modded they are).

Good point. I am just glad that Grado even considers servicing them in the first place, even oftentimes if you buy second hand. Yeah, you'll probably have to pay them, but I bet Skull Candy or even Sony or Bose wouldn't do that outside the warranty period!

In this case, I've already go the Grado 'phones I want to listen to (unmodified), so any modding would be done on a cheaper set just to experiment and have some fun!

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #40,589 of 65,687
Good point. I am just glad that Grado even considers servicing them in the first place, even oftentimes if you buy second hand. Yeah, you'll probably have to pay them, but I bet Skull Candy or even Sony or Bose wouldn't do that outside the warranty period!

In this case, I've already go the Grado 'phones I want to listen to (unmodified), so any modding would be done on a cheaper set just to experiment and have some fun!

Yes Grado is great like that. I bought my SR325is (modded) from a member here at Head-fi, years ago. He swore they were perfectly working headphones and he did the hole mod on them (opening additional holes in the felt) but when they arrived the right speaker was making some odd noises. I contacted Grado and once I showed them pictures of the mod they authorized my sending them in for service. Cost me around $45 for the service plus shipping to them. They completely set the 325is back to stock condition and they have been working flawlessly ever since.

Then I bought a used GS1000 off ebay. Original model. Arrived and tested, both transducers had a slight buzzing and even after close inspection for hair and what not I could not solve the issue myself. Sent them to Grado to be serviced for me ($150 this time) and they ended up putting brand new transducers in. They sent them back to me and I was not happy as the SQ was terrible. They again took them back, deduced there was nothing wrong but since the transducers were brand new, Grado figured burning them in for me would be the ticket. They kept my headphones for well over two months and I recently received them back, burned in and sounding great.

Grado service is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #40,590 of 65,687
Yes Grado is great like that. I bought my SR325is (modded) from a member here at Head-fi, years ago. He swore they were perfectly working headphones and he did the hole mod on them (opening additional holes in the felt) but when they arrived the right speaker was making some odd noises. I contacted Grado and once I showed them pictures of the mod they authorized my sending them in for service. Cost me around $45 for the service plus shipping to them. They completely set the 325is back to stock condition and they have been working flawlessly ever since.

Then I bought a used GS1000 off ebay. Original model. Arrived and tested, both transducers had a slight buzzing and even after close inspection for hair and what not I could not solve the issue myself. Sent them to Grado to be serviced for me ($150 this time) and they ended up putting brand new transducers in. They sent them back to me and I was not happy as the SQ was terrible. They again took them back, deduced there was nothing wrong but since the transducers were brand new, Grado figured burning them in for me would be the ticket. They kept my headphones for well over two months and I recently received them back, burned in and sounding great.

Grado service is pretty damn good.

Yes, they’ve done a beautiful and gracious job with every little thing I needed done. John actually modified the GH4 to accommodate balanced inputs on my request/suggestion, and then added it to the catalog. I have no great powers. He was just that receptive.

I am a big fan of Schiit electronics. Their Loki equalizer… Yes, they have produced a very transparent and innovative EQ… Does wonders to boost any of four frequency ranges, with subtle or major shifts in the frequency response. Without any of the intrinsic problems of EQ. One does hear what is lost by going through balanced to single ended, since that is the only option on Loki, which is apparently a test case in anticipation of a more sophisticated eq. But it does a beautiful job of deepening and emphasizing the bass frequencies… As well as the whole range… Without Any unnatural or otherwise compromised musical value. Listening to the music with and without the unit, with it active in the circuit but set at flat, or setting it bypass mode so that it’s just passing the line signal through to the amplifier, it’s practically indistinguishable on all modesFrom listening with it absent from the system.

Transparent and effective. And cheap. A little more than the cost of a decent neighborhood Italian meal. And a whole lot more civilized than punching holes in a high-end headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back