Grado Fan Club!
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #38,191 of 65,608
I agree, love the music and am thrilled to try different presentations. Have been a professional musician then live and studio sound engineer (when my hands kinda gave up)

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #38,192 of 65,608
After reading many positive reviews for the past few years, about a month ago I purchased the GS1000i from the initial owner who took very good care of them (they look new). Since I got them they've been my "go to" headphone. I'm not going to describe the sound mostly because it's not something I'm good at. Suffice it to say, they're right up there with the best headphones I've ever listened to. Combined w/ my headphone amp, the Heron 5 I have a hard time imagining a better sound. It could be the "new toy" effect which is why I don't proclaim them to be the very best I've ever heard. On the other hand I'm not longing for anything else at the present time be it another new flavour of the month headphone or headphone amplifier.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the GS1000i happy campers club, hehehe. I have not had a chance to listen to the newer version, but I am more than pleased... so if it ain’t broken, why replace?. :) I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come... it’s been a few years now and it still brings me a big smile... every single time! :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #38,193 of 65,608
Help you?
I just realized that between headphones/IEMs and earbuds you own 174 pairs. At this point I would definitely say there is NO helping you at all! WOW! :beerchug:

i think you and @BobG55 need more help than @HungryPanda, you guys counted his inventory one by one :D i almost double check your count!!

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #38,194 of 65,608
I truly hate Grado. I really do.....

Put my SR80i's away in search of something better. I found the M1060's, which I absolutely love, but I realized that I also love the Grado sound. So now I am looking to upgrade to the SR325e's or maybe RS2e's if I can swing the extra cost.

I tested the SR325e's but the test equipment is much different then mine, so kinda hard to judge. Woo WA6 vs my Schiit Magni 3. Will I see a noticable increase in audio quality from the SR80i to the SR325e?

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #38,195 of 65,608

Put my SR80i's away in search of something better. I found the M1060's, which I absolutely love, but I realized that I also love the Grado sound. So now I am looking to upgrade to the SR325e's or maybe RS2e's if I can swing the extra cost.

I tested the SR325e's but the test equipment is much different then mine, so kinda hard to judge. Woo WA6 vs my Schiit Magni 3. Will I see a noticable increase in audio quality from the SR80i to the SR325e?

yes, but that also depend if you like the treble or not

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #38,197 of 65,608
Are you saying the SR325e's are brighter than the SR80i's I have?
i haven't heard both of those exact models. just sr80 and sr325i but generally sr325 are brighter than the rest of prestige series although the (e) generation supposed to be warmer compare to older generation but i'm guessing the sr325e probably still brighter than sr80i

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #38,198 of 65,608

Also check out the SR225e’s - similar to the 325e’s but much lighter weight-wise - both are nice upgrades from the SR80i...
having owned both I prefer the 225e’s - more comfortable and hence less prone to breaking. I did the reverse-cushion mod- more comfortable ...and they had an horrid upper-midrange emphasis and harshness until fully burned in.l (80+ hours or so)...much better after! They look just like the SR80’s and rationally it’s hard to fathom how they could be great sounding...but to me they are!..more detailed and focused than the 80’s assuming a highly resolving dac/amp - a classic Grado esp. if you listen at lower to medium volumes. I think that a bit of a bass boost through eq helps these and Grado’s generally.

I also have SR80e, GS1000i and as great as the latter are I more frequently reach for the 225e’s.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #38,199 of 65,608
Good news guys! We’re finally getting the band back together! Haha

96B3A7D2-A00C-4833-87C5-0D12D509EA89.jpeg

Seriously though, I cycle through gear faster than anyone I know and I always come back to where I belong!

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #38,200 of 65,608

A little late to the party here but my take on SR80i and SR325e (I don't own either of these anymore):
325e was a touch brighter than the SR80i when I had both and its the reason I sent the SR325e back and got the SR225e which I still have and like very much. My SR225e has been modded with dynamat, felt, G-pads, new padded headband and SMC jacks for removable cables.

I did take the SR80i drivers out and put them is some rosewood cups which is a nice change in tone from the plastic cups along with adding dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver and using G-pads (mostly for comfort).

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #38,201 of 65,608
A little late to the party here but my take on SR80i and SR325e (I don't own either of these anymore):
325e was a touch brighter than the SR80i when I had both and its the reason I sent the SR325e back and got the SR225e which I still have and like very much. My SR225e has been modded with dynamat, felt, G-pads, new padded headband and SMC jacks for removable cables.

I did take the SR80i drivers out and put them is some rosewood cups which is a nice change in tone from the plastic cups along with adding dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver and using G-pads (mostly for comfort).

I really loved the 225e and had to sell them against my will when I had them. Really magical with most of my collection.

Did you not also have the RS2e at some point? I liked those a lot too.

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #38,202 of 65,608
I really loved the 225e and had to sell them against my will when I had them. Really magical with most of my collection.

Did you not also have the RS2e at some point? I liked those a lot too.

Sad that you had to sell your 225e, to me its the best bargain of the SR line

I still have my RS2e and love it, did some mods to it: dynamat in the cups, G-pads and SMC jacks so I can change the cable. I also refinished mine with Danish Wood Oil since the factory finish was a bit dull and dried out:
RS2e_danish wood oil on one.jpg

RS2e_danish wood oil on one-2.jpg
This really shows how faded and dried out the original finish was

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #38,203 of 65,608
any idea how to open up diy grado's wood cup assembly with super glue without breaking the cup? i wasn't put too much thought into it 6-7 years ago

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #38,204 of 65,608
any idea how to open up diy grado's wood cup assembly with super glue without breaking the cup? i wasn't put too much thought into it 6-7 years ago
Sorry but I don't know how one would remove the drivers if they used super glue to install the drivers. Hope someone has a simple solution to your issue since I'm curious about this.

Grado uses a glue that is made soft using vinegar which another was kind enough to share in the modder thread but its still a PITA to remove drivers from wood cups of Grado headphones. Its why most of us that build clones just press fit the drivers using tape or other material to make it a firm fit.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #38,205 of 65,608
and now, a little musical interlude......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back