Grado Fan Club!
Feb 3, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #34,501 of 66,246

Back then the RS1 were Grado's flagship and I had read a lot of favorable comments about them, anyway, I had bought a pair of HD-600 a few months before from a dealer that didn't carry Grado.

This dealer sold both brand, so they let me compare the 600 and the RS1, I started with the 600 then switched to the RS1, and the instant the music started I felt light headed and thought to myself ''Oh crap! I've bought the wrong headphones!
eek.gif

The amount of details that the RS1 was retrieving compared to the 600 wasn't even funny. Fast forward a few months, now my dealer has started selling Grados. The comparing between the 600 and the RS1 took place in 2006, since then, I have aquired 8 pairs of Grados, among wich are a pair of GH-1, PS1000, and the Holy Grail HP1000.

Guess how long it's been since my RS1 got to see some action............last night!, on the menu, Patricia Barber's SACD version of Companion, and the last song is a cover of Black Magic Women, and when the music stopped, I spontainously blurted out a fairly loud ''F$&K ME!!!,

This is 11 years after I first heard the classic buttoned RS1, and only hours after taking back a pair of $5000 CDN Focal Utopia, that my dealer had loaned me, while I was waiting for my new pair of Utopias.

As far as I'm concerned, this says A LOT about the passion that Grados can stir up.

Oh! FYI the first gen GS1000 came out in 2006, so you might want to ask for a few precision before buying those GS1000, because 3 years ago, the GS1000i was the current version.
wink.gif

Whenever I listen to my RS1i they always amaze me. Grado really makes just incredible sounding headphone which have so much    soul and emotion it's ridiculous!
Going to give my RS1i a listen right now!

@jaywillin 
Last night I listened to that nice jam you posted yesterday…I looked on HDtracks but couldn't find "Live In New York" but I did find "The Quintet: Jazz At Massey Hall (Original Classics Remastered) in 192/24 which I will be downloading.Thanks, good stuff!

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #34,502 of 66,246
really surprised that others feel totally the opposite about Grados.

..i have been searching other threads, etc.
but that group is not cozy on the sound....interesting the contrast vs the passions felt here.
in the end despite any reviews (good or bad) it's all about different strokes for different folks, ymmv, one's gold is another's bronze etc.

i'm going to listen to some grados on the weekend against my senns...will make my own mind up.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #34,503 of 66,246
  really surprised that others feel totally the opposite about Grados.

..i have been searching other threads, etc.
but that group is not cozy on the sound....interesting the contrast vs the passions felt here.
in the end despite any reviews (good or bad) it's all about different strokes for different folks, ymmv, one's gold is another's bronze etc.

i'm going to listen to some grados on the weekend against my senns...will make my own mind up.

Some just really have it in for Grado, don't know why?
What are you interested in demoing?

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #34,504 of 66,246
  Some just really have it in for Grado, don't know why?
What are you interested in demoing?

yes agree...can't believe when you have SO many grado forums as on here that they're feelings/likes are misplaced.
again to each their own.

why in the demo? 10 yrs ago i had some 325s...liked that raw in your face grado sound (for rock)
and now that they  have other models, want to see what else is out there, again, to add more details, texture
and punch vs the senn650s....just trying to explore new things

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #34,505 of 66,246
  yes agree...can't believe when you have SO many grado forums as on here that they're feelings/likes are misplaced.
again to each their own.

why in the demo? 10 yrs ago i had some 325s...liked that raw in your face grado sound (for rock)
and now that they  have other models, want to see what else is out there, again, to add more details, texture
and punch vs the senn650s....just trying to explore new things

No, I meant which models are you interested in demoing, possibly purchasing?

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #34,506 of 66,246
  Whenever I listen to my RS1i they always amaze me. Grado really makes just incredible sounding headphone which have so much    soul and emotion it's ridiculous!

@jaywillin 
Last night I listened to that nice jam you posted yesterday…I looked on HDtracks but couldn't find "Live In New York" but I did find "The Quintet: Jazz At Massey Hall (Original Classics Remastered) in 192/24 which I will be downloading.Thanks, good stuff!

The classic buttoned RS1were the first Grado I've ever heard, so they definately have a special place in my heart.

And let's be honest, the RS1 were made to play small venue, live, Jazz recordings wich means that Patricia Barber's Companion SACD was tailor made to bring out the best of the RS1, and it did!
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #34,507 of 66,246

@jaywillin 

it's on tidal
"mingus live at carnegie hall"
i just may listen again

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #34,509 of 66,246
  Haven't had Tidal in a long time, I only had it for a few months anyway.

ahhhh, too bad

there's only two songs, this is the other

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #34,510 of 66,246
  ahhhh, too bad
there's only two songs, this is the other

Thanks a lot Jay! 
I'll listen to it tonight.
beerchug.gif

@stacker45 
I'll be revisiting the Utopia again tomorrow, this time I'll have it until the 20th of the month.
Last time I couldn't one to a fair impression because I only had it for 1 day. This Utopia will be burned-in as well.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #34,511 of 66,246
  Thanks a lot Jay! 
I'll listen to it tonight.
beerchug.gif

@stacker45 
I'll be revisiting the Utopia again tomorrow, this time I'll have it until the 20th of the month.
Last time I couldn't one to a fair impression because I only had it for 1 day. This Utopia will be burned-in as well.

Since this is a Grado thread, I wasn't sure if I should give my impressions regarding the Elear and the Utopia, Then I like to believe that this this thread is composed mainly of Grado fans, and very few fanboys. To me this means that we can trust each other to remain as objective as possible regardless of the topic being dicussed.

That being said, I figured what if other Grado fans were tempted to give the Elear or the Utopia a try. So here it goes, I had the $1500 CDN Elear for two days to compare with my Grados. To be honest I only copared them to the PS1000, but right away I could see that there were both the complete opposite of each other.

The Elear, has very deep bass, recessed mids, and very (too) polite treble, the soundstage was wider and deeper than the PS1000, although it was easyer to pinpoint the instruments with the PS1000.

I liked the extra octave that the Elear produced, it made the sound bloom. Overall I ended up preferring the livlier sound of the PS1000.

I type very slowly, so I'm going to wait and see if you guys want to read my impressions regarding the Utopia. I will say this though, it a MUCH different animal than the Elear, and at 4 times the price it should be.

I'm very interrested in your impressions of the Utopia Joseph, so fell free to PM me if I get but chewed for this.
popcorn.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #34,512 of 66,246
I would never own a Focal Elear/Utopia. I own my Grado because it weighs less than half as much as those lead ballasts. Don't care if the Utopia sounds heavenly if I get a headache when I wear it.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #34,513 of 66,246

Since this is a Grado thread, I wasn't sure if I should give my impressions regarding the Elear and the Utopia, Then I like to believe that this this thread is composed mainly of Grado fans, and very few fanboys. To me this means that we can trust each other to remain as objective as possible regardless of the topic being dicussed.

That being said, I figured what if other Grado fans were tempted to give the Elear or the Utopia a try. So here it goes, I had the $1500 CDN Elear for two days to compare with my Grados. To be honest I only copared them to the PS1000, but right away I could see that there were both the complete opposite of each other.

The Elear, has very deep bass, recessed mids, and very (too) polite treble, the soundstage was wider and deeper than the PS1000, although it was easyer to pinpoint the instruments with the PS1000.

I liked the extra octave that the Elear produced, it made the sound bloom. Overall I ended up preferring the livlier sound of the PS1000.

I type very slowly, so I'm going to wait and see if you guys want to read my impressions regarding the Utopia. I will say this though, it a MUCH different animal than the Elear, and at 4 times the price it should be.

I'm very interrested in your impressions of the Utopia Joseph, so fell free to PM me if I get but chewed for this.
popcorn.gif

Very hard to come close to the PS1K as far as I'm concerned.
I would definitely like to read your Utopia impressions. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #34,514 of 66,246
i'd like to see your comparisons of the ps1000(e) and utopia having heard both myself. they have contrasting presentations. in a nutshell, the former is extreme (but in a good way to my ears) with its accentuated treble and mid-bass hump, while the latter epitomises balance. i haven't compared them directly tho.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #34,515 of 66,246
i'd like to see your comparisons of the ps1000(e) and utopia having heard both myself. they have contrasting presentations. in a nutshell, the former's is extreme (but in a good way to my ears) with its accentuated treble and mid-bass hump, while the latter epitomises balance. i haven't compared them directly tho.

I own both...and completely agree with your assessments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back