Grado Fan Club!
Dec 10, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #33,916 of 66,037
  Thanks, @wormsdriver.  I have ordered SR80e.  I will definitely consider replacing the cable.  Coincidentally I have ordered some supplies (Mogami and Canare cable, and some Switchcraft 3.5 mm plugs) to replace the cable on my SR125 woodies, so I will be stocked to tackle the SR80 as well.

You're going to like those Grados... They're "fun" in the best sense of the word. Before getting to the headband and cable, I would address the pads. I realized the difference pads make with my DT880s by switching to gels, but the Grados respond quite interestingly... Primarily in terms of comfort and wearability. Enjoy them, I started with SR60 for a week, the shot up to HF2. 

NK

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #33,917 of 66,037

Good point, still criticism can be overdone....in Tyll's article, he bashes Grado....
sure the sound is not to his taste...but makes me wonder if he's ever heard a top flight Grado...

I can see where he's coming from. Even the premium Grado sound signature is an acquired taste. I preferred the Sennheiser HD800S over the Grado GS2000e when both were at stock, but greatly preferred the GS2000e once EQed. You can EQ the sound signature to your liking, but you can't EQ air and crispness, which what made the GS2000e superior to me.

Also call me when another brand makes a full-sized flagship that weighs under 300g. I now only own the GS2000e and the Sony MA900 because I don't like heavy headphones. In the mad quest towards audio nirvana, people forget that comfort should be a main factor towards a headphone purchase.

absolutely! People should always, first of all take into account their own needs and prioritize what is most important to them. 
I think someone accused Tyll of being objective. Ha! I think even he would laugh at that, considering how many times I've heard and read him admit that he has very specific sonic preferences. I have always taken Tyll with a grain of salt, even back when I first started this crazy headphone journey.

One thing I wish he would be aware of is exactly how much impact he can have on the community. It's just the nature of social systems that some people, Heck most people, will tend to hang on the word of one or two select leaders, and then when those leaders mess up, pile on and knock them off their pedestal. I hope that doesn't happen, because Tyll has had a pretty sizable impact over the years as this hobby has grown beyond Beats.

To be honest, his unbelievably negative opinion towards Grado actually convinced me to try and eventually buy my SR-225i's. My next high-end purchase will probably be the GS-2000's, or used 1000i's. And the more he bashes the brand, the more I like 'em.

smily_headphones1.gif

well put my friend.

I see this happening over and over again through the last few years. People shouldn't take the words of one reviewer and take it as the gospel. Heck at least take the time and read between the lines when the reviewer states his personal tastes. It's crazy how the internet works and how one's opinions are taken and what that opinion will morph into.

I hope any of this doesn't come off as me have anything against Tyll or anyone else. truth is I love the guy and have nothing but respect for him and what he's done for this community for all these years.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #33,918 of 66,037

absolutely! People should always, first of all take into account their own needs and prioritize what is most important to them. 
well put my friend.

I see this happening over and over again through the last few years. People shouldn't take the words of one reviewer and take it as the gospel. Heck at least take the time and read between the lines when the reviewer states his personal tastes. It's crazy how the internet works and how one's opinions are taken and what that opinion will morph into.

I hope any of this doesn't come off as me have anything against Tyll or anyone else. truth is I love the guy and have nothing but respect for him and what he's done for this community for all these years.

I too have great respect and great difference for/from his tastes and reviews.  He first sent me down what I found to be a rabbit hole with his review of the NAD hp50 closed headphone... very flattering, but the headphone to me, even as my first audiophile purchase, was Very Boring!  Different strokes...

His difference from my taste on Grados continues the tradition, to the point that I (if I could afford them) REALLY want to buy a pair of Ultrasone Edition 10s. which he reviews so decisively here.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #33,919 of 66,037
His difference from my taste on Grados continues the tradition, to the point that I (if I could afford them) REALLY want to buy a pair of Ultrasone Edition 10s. which he reviews so decisively here.

The Edition 12 (which is the updated Edition 10 with cheaper materials) has almost as much hate because of this review. There's only one other review here. That's how bad the Edition 10 was for people to not even give the Edition 12 a fair shake.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #33,921 of 66,037
The SR80e are pretty light - well, the headphones if not the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't think open-back was an option for you or I would have recommended the Alessandro MS1e with the shallow cups as they are even more portable than the SR80e but otherwise look almost identical, just the cups don't stick out as far from your ears.

Thanks, @trellus.  I may not have indicated that I was unconcerned about the open back.  I would be using them in hotel rooms mostly, and while at work...private office.  I will look at the MS1e.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #33,922 of 66,037
I think you're going to be pretty happy with the SR80e, which are wonderful. :)

The advantage of the MS1e with the shallow cups is the.. .shallow cups, make it a little more portable in my mind, note that I ordered it directly from Alessandro and it's listed as the $99 one, the "Music Series One w/mini original - $99.00":

Quote:

Thanks, @trellus.  I may not have indicated that I was unconcerned about the open back.  I would be using them in hotel rooms mostly, and while at work...private office.  I will look at the MS1e.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #33,923 of 66,037
Dec 10, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #33,924 of 66,037

isn't the MS1(e) using the original sr80 encasing?

You can buy it from Alessandro either way -- the $99 version uses the original, shallow casing, whereas the "2009 version" that is $109 uses the deeper cups.  It seems the deeper cups supposedly sound a little better, and that may be, but I wanted the more shallow cups purposely for the higher portability. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #33,925 of 66,037
My wife has the Nad HP50's but as I have a smallish head even at their smallest they do not fit me. Secondly after being a Beyer and AKg fan for so many years I just had an itch to listen to a grado, bought Sr80e.... left cup just fell off to the ground so I just stuck it back in. Sound phenomenal. Bought the GH1 (absolutely love it) and realizing what I had been missing all these years bought the SR325e (a very bright set). Now I find most evenings I put on Either GH1 or Senn HD650 and am like a pig in ****. I have other headphones and like them all when I listen to them but who woulda thunk it Grado rock my world

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #33,926 of 66,037
@ruthieandjohn, thanks for that link!  I just watched it and laughed!  So priceless watching him in pain listening and then stop and say... "$2,749 dollars... wow!" 
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

I too have great respect and great difference for/from his tastes and reviews.  He first sent me down what I found to be a rabbit hole with his review of the NAD hp50 closed headphone... very flattering, but the headphone to me, even as my first audiophile purchase, was Very Boring!  Different strokes...

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #33,928 of 66,037
I said I'd come back later and talk about my RS1e purchase with an update on what I think.

I have burned them in for quite a long time and have used them in many different environments. They stink in noisy environments, but that was expected (but the GS1000i for whatever reason handle noisy environments a better, maybe it's the circumaural aspect). When I first got the RS1e I used them all the time and not the GS1000i so much. I chalk that up to the newness factor. But that changed after I got used to them and now I use the GS1000i 90% of the time. 

I find the RS1e just a bit too crisp and icy. It's not just the treble, but the mid-range has this biting quality to it that I've grown weary of and I can't EQ it out. My ears grow sound-fatigued listening to them for over an hour and I often find myself adjusting the volume down to cut out the iciness. This is an issue both straight out of the source without an amp and with the Chord Mojo. They are still great headphones but I am sure that as time goes on they'll likely take a constant backseat to the GS1000is. Since I don't keep anything can be 80% or more covered by something else, I sell them and so I will sell these.

What I find I really need is sound isolating headphones and since Grado doesn't have anything like that I am now looking to swap out these RS1es for something high end and closed backed.

The GS1000i still reigns as the king of Grado for me. Grado really had the magic when they designed these. Still love them dearly.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #33,929 of 66,037
....I love seeing the GS1000i's getting their due recognition!

Although there are some posters extolling their virtues, I still feel that these hp's 
take back seat to GH1's, PS500e's, RS1's, PS1000's, GS2000e's etc. in these forums and (especially) elsewhere.

Yes, the GS1000i's REALLY have the Grado magic for me as well!

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #33,930 of 66,037
Hey guys, I need some help interpreting the Grado line. One of my favorite headphones in any price range is the SR-80. I can't overstate just how much fun I have listening to it.

Over a year ago I picked up the GH1, kind of stupidly assuming that it would be a more capable version of the SR-80. While I do like the GH1, it seems to be less 'fun' to listen to, focusing on accuracy instead.

Anyone else notice this? Do any of the high end Grados maintain the fun from the lower end models? Am I just imagining all of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back