Grado Fan Club!
Aug 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #33,061 of 66,262

I just want to be sure they r the i version and not the first gs1000 non i

I believe the original had a 4 conductor cable.
Initial impressions?

I at first liked my RS1is better but last night I turned the volume up some more to match what it usually is on the RS1is and the GS1kis sounded pretty good.

I'm not sure if they are more transparent sounding to my ears? They seem to have a little sibilance while the RS1i doesn't seem to really have that but still sounds as clear as the GS1ki or even more so since it's more intimate.

I do notice the big sound stage of the GS1kis. It seems very big. When I switch to the RS1is I have to get used to the sound for a second because it sounds so much more narrow.

I also tried the RS1i pads on the GS1ki for a second and that seemed to sound pretty darn good. I will try that again because I didn't have a lot of time to try that yet.

If I had to choose right now I would say I still like the RS1is but I haven't been able to listened to the GS1kis that much at all so I can't really say.

Maybe it's because the RS1is are more broken in but the GS1kis on first listen didn't sound as "live" to me as the RS1is do but they seem to be sounding more live the more I listen to them.

The person I bought them from said they never used them and got them as a gift and weren't into headphones and they do look it. So I'm guessing they just need some time to break in to my
ears.

I may end up liking them more but I just haven't been able to listen to them that much yet.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #33,062 of 66,262
Is there a for sure way to make sure these are GS1000is?

Those look to me to be the RS1000i's because of the thinner cable. To be sure you can check the handwritten serial number that's usually written in ink on the one of the wooden cups. You can see the serial number if you remove the foam ear pieces. My experience has been if you see the number, and call Grado, they will be able to give more information about your headphones. Congrats, the RS1Ki's are a great sounding and very comfortable hp.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #33,063 of 66,262

I at first liked my RS1is better but last night I turned the volume up some more to match what it usually is on the RS1is and the GS1kis sounded pretty good.

I'm not sure if they are more transparent sounding to my ears? They seem to have a little sibilance while the RS1i doesn't seem to really have that but still sounds as clear as the GS1ki or even more so since it's more intimate.

I do notice the big sound stage of the GS1kis. It seems very big. When I switch to the RS1is I have to get used to the sound for a second because it sounds so much more narrow.

I also tried the RS1i pads on the GS1ki for a second and that seemed to sound pretty darn good. I will try that again because I didn't have a lot of time to try that yet.

If I had to choose right now I would say I still like the RS1is but I haven't been able to listened to the GS1kis that much at all so I can't really say.

Maybe it's because the RS1is are more broken in but the GS1kis on first listen didn't sound as "live" to me as the RS1is do but they seem to be sounding more live the more I listen to them.

The person I bought them from said they never used them and got them as a gift and weren't into headphones and they do look it. So I'm guessing they just need some time to break in to my
ears.

I may end up liking them more but I just haven't been able to listen to them that much yet.

Yes, as I mentioned, I found the RS1i/GS1Ki to have a very similar sound-signature with the exception of the GS1Ki having a bigger sound-stage and a recessed mid-range. I also found the GS1Ki to be hot in the treble when the volume was increased to a comfortable listening level which was fatiguing for me and which is why I wasn't a fan of the GS1Ki. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #33,064 of 66,262
Oh, it was very warm. Then one day (like 10 days to 2 weeks) it's just change and sounds like a Grado. I actually kinda loved how warm it was because you know, ear problem and everything. So yeah, while I'm not exactly a big believer burn-in but who knows, maybe this rs2e will be more transparent after 2 weeks, lol.
With the exception of the ms1i and the iGrado, all the Grados I've had improved from burn-in. I'm not quite sure of it but people I know say that their Grados had the same effect.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #33,065 of 66,262
With the exception of the ms1i and the iGrado, all the Grados I've had improved from burn-in. I'm not quite sure of it but people I know say that their Grados had the same effect.

Well, one of my IEM sounds like it has no bass and so, it sounds like ass and then 10-15+ hours later the bass was hard-hitting. Turned out there was a design problem where the air vent was blocked or smthn. So... burn-in helped there. Yeah the 325e was a Grado after I listen to them for some time.

I don't know. Maybe the rs2e driver needs to stretch to get that "oohhhh amazinggg" transparency thing I remember from my memory, skeptical but fingers crossed.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #33,066 of 66,262
  Yes, as I mentioned, I found the RS1i/GS1Ki to have a very similar sound-signature with the exception of the GS1Ki having a bigger sound-stage and a recessed mid-range. I also found the GS1Ki to be hot in the treble when the volume was increased to a comfortable listening level which was fatiguing for me and which is why I wasn't a fan of the GS1Ki. 

I'm thinking thats why I feel like I have to turn up the GS1ki more because of the recessed mids and the bigger soundstage. If I keep it too low it doesn't sound clear and sounds too far away.

If I push the phones closer to my ears though they start sounding very close to the RS1is just with that slight treble increase or if I put the RS1i pads on.

They are much more comfortable though.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #33,068 of 66,262
  I'm thinking thats why I feel like I have to turn up the GS1ki more because of the recessed mids and the bigger soundstage. If I keep it too low it doesn't sound clear and sounds too far away.

They are much more comfortable though.

Trying to bring the mid-range forward resulted in fatigue from the treble for me. 
I must say that I did find them very clear for low listening levels though.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #33,069 of 66,262
  Trying to bring the mid-range forward resulted in fatigue from the treble for me. 
I must say that I did find them very clear for low listening levels though.

I may have too much wax build up lol

I do feel like it depends on the time of day though because sometimes any headphones I try sounds not as good as other times or not as clear or whatever the case is. Then I can put them on later and they sound great and clear and everything.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #33,070 of 66,262
  I may have too much wax build up lol

I do feel like it depends on the time of day though because sometimes any headphones I try sounds not as good as other times or not as clear or whatever the case is. Then I can put them on later and they sound great and clear and everything.

I think a lot depends on mood/time of the day as well.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #33,071 of 66,262
  I think a lot depends on mood/time of the day as well.

I agree, and I also find that, not doing anything else, and closing my eyes, helps me get into the music even more. 

Two days ago, I went DVD shopping downtown, and I came back with 7 concerts. One is called, ''Music For Montserrat''. This is a great concert, to see Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits, playing guitar with Eric Clapton and Paul Mc Cartney, while Phil Collins is banging away on his drum, was great!.

I used my HP1000 for the firt half of the concert, and the RS1 for the rest of it. The RS1 sounds significaltly brighter, and leaner than the HP1k. The HP1k's bass is depper, and it also has THE hardest hitting bass of any Grados I've heard. Both the RS1 and HP1k's mids sound similar, although I would say that the human voice sounds a bit more natural through the HP1k. Soundstage and ''air'' around the instruments were too close to call.

The more I listen to my HP1000, the more I like them. Who knows!, they might knock the PS1k of their throne, and become my new ''old'' favorite Grados!
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #33,072 of 66,262
I just want to be sure they r the i version and not the first gs1000 non i

GS1000 = 4 conductors
GS1000i = 8   
GS1000e = 12

Looking forward to the next version's 16 conductors cable.
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #33,074 of 66,262

I agree, and I also find that, not doing anything else, and closing my eyes, helps me get into the music even more. 

Two days ago, I went DVD shopping downtown, and I came back with 7 concerts. One is called, ''Music For Montserrat''. This is a great concert, to see Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits, playing guitar with Eric Clapton and Paul Mc Cartney, while Phil Collins is banging away on his drum, was great!.

I used my HP1000 for the firt half of the concert, and the RS1 for the rest of it. The RS1 sounds significaltly brighter, and leaner than the HP1k. The HP1k's bass is depper, and it also has THE hardest hitting bass of any Grados I've heard. Both the RS1 and HP1k's mids sound similar, although I would say that the human voice sounds a bit more natural through the HP1k. Soundstage and ''air'' around the instruments were too close to call.

The more I listen to my HP1000, the more I like them. Who knows!, they might knock the PS1k of their throne, and become my new ''old'' favorite Grados!
wink.gif

Yes, we've discussed mood/time/day before and agreed on this 100%.
Thats got to be a great concert with these performers all playing together listening through the Grados. Never heard the HP-1 before but now I'm thinking I should have bid on the pair in mint condition a ;titles ways back. 

How do you tell how many conductors it has?

By the cable thickness/series.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #33,075 of 66,262
  I'm shocked. Not that I don't believe you bro, but still... Anyway I can attest that some 325e should warmer than the others.

He lives in Lapland. Maybe. Or he is seduced by the fact that all Grados sound wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back