Grado Fan Club!
Aug 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #33,076 of 66,263
Yes, we've discussed mood/time/day before and agreed on this 100%.
Thats got to be a great concert with these performers all playing together listening through the Grados. Never heard the HP-1 before but now I'm thinking I should have bid on the pair in mint condition a ;titles ways back. 

By the cable thickness/series.

Does the RS1i have an 8 conductor cable ?

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #33,079 of 66,263
Spent a couple hours at Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC today.  Great folks.  My thanks to Ivan for putting up with me.  Purchased the Grado RS2e.  Had a chance to listen to PS500e, SR80, SR325, and GS1000...not sure which letter suffix on all of these.  I am burning in the RS2e now, but will give them a listen later on tonight when things quiet down.  I will say that the GS1000 are indeed very sweet, but I cannot see my way clear to drop a grand on phones...not right now, anyway.  So, my Grado journey has begun.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #33,080 of 66,263
  Spent a couple hours at Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC today.  Great folks.  My thanks to Ivan for putting up with me.  Purchased the Grado RS2e.  Had a chance to listen to PS500e, SR80, SR325, and GS1000...not sure which letter suffix on all of these.  I am burning in the RS2e now, but will give them a listen later on tonight when things quiet down.  I will say that the GS1000 are indeed very sweet, but I cannot see my way clear to drop a grand on phones...not right now, anyway.  So, my Grado journey has begun.

Congrats, welcome to the world of Grado, BTW, did you also get to hear the RS2 demo you noted in an earlier post?

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #33,083 of 66,263
  @zombywoof 
Where you able to demo both the RS2/RS2e…or just the RS2?

I was not able to demo the RS2e as the only pair at Audio Advice was new in the box...still factory sealed so not broken in.  I was able to demo the RS2, but no head to head comparison possible.  Yet, based on the excellent information in this thread, and in particular, the stellar work of @ruthieandjohn, I felt very confident purchasing the RS2e without hearing them first.  So many thanks to all, including yourself, who have contributed to this thread.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #33,084 of 66,263
  I was not able to demo the RS2e as the only pair at Audio Advice was new in the box...still factory sealed so not broken in.  I was able to demo the RS2, but no head to head comparison possible.  Yet, based on the excellent information in this thread, and in particular, the stellar work of @ruthieandjohn, I felt very confident purchasing the RS2e without hearing them first.  So many thanks to all, including yourself, who have contributed to this thread.

Thank you…I was just curios being you were a serious buyer, so I though they may have let you demo the RS2e as well. I myself have never heard the RS2e, but as you said, most love the RS2e and I'm sure your going to feel the same…enjoy them and keep us posted.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #33,085 of 66,263
  Thank you…I was just curios being you were a serious buyer, so I though they may have let you demo the RS2e as well. I myself have never heard the RS2e, but as you said, most love the RS2e and I'm sure your going to feel the same…enjoy them and keep us posted.

Actually, the fellow I worked with at Audio Advice, Ivan, was concerned that the new, and unused RS2e might not sound their best out of the box, and recommended that I spend time with the RS2.  I think I could have been more insistent, but he made a good argument.  There is much discussion about the value of break in, but he was a believer, so I went along for the ride.  It was not a deal killer for me.  As I mentioned above in my previous post, the information from this thread indicated that the RS2e was an improvement over the RS2, so I was confident that if I liked what I heard form the RS2, I would be happy with the RS2e.  So far...no regrets.  I listened for a couple hours last night, and love these headphones.

And...I was so happy to find a local retailer with a wide variety of headphones to audition...

...I have a sneaking feeling that they will see my credit card again.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #33,086 of 66,263
  Yes, we've discussed mood/time/day before and agreed on this 100%.
Thats got to be a great concert with these performers all playing together listening through the Grados. Never heard the HP-1 before but now I'm thinking I should have bid on the pair in mint condition a ;titles ways back. 

By the cable thickness/series.

At the time I bought my HP1k, my only Grados were my first gen GS1k, so their more intimate sound was just what the doctor ordered for listening to studio, and small venue recordings.

Now, I sometime stand around like Ho, waiting for a John, (sorry! John), trying to decide wich Grados I'm going to use.

Ho!, I mean, Oh!, you already know this, but just so we don't create any confusion, my HP-1k are actually HP-2, John has the HP-1.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #33,087 of 66,263
  Actually, the fellow I worked with at Audio Advice, Ivan, was concerned that the new, and unused RS2e might not sound their best out of the box, and recommended that I spend time with the RS2.  I think I could have been more insistent, but he made a good argument.  There is much discussion about the value of break in, but he was a believer, so I went along for the ride.  It was not a deal killer for me.  As I mentioned above in my previous post, the information from this thread indicated that the RS2e was an improvement over the RS2, so I was confident that if I liked what I heard form the RS2, I would be happy with the RS2e.  So far...no regrets.  I listened for a couple hours last night, and love these headphones.

And...I was so happy to find a local retailer with a wide variety of headphones to audition...

I'm sure the sale man was a good guy but also wanted to get rid of the RS2 as well before replacing them with a demo (e) series. I'm sure his interest was in sales more than anything else. Anyway, from what we all understand here, you can't go wrong with the RS2e, and I'm sure they'll see you again.

At the time I bought my HP1k, my only Grados were my first gen GS1k, so their more intimate sound was just what the doctor ordered for listening to studio, and small venue recordings.

Now, I sometime stand around like Ho, waiting for a John, (sorry! John), trying to decide wich Grados I'm going to use.

Ho!, I mean, Oh!, you already know this, but just so we don't create any confusion, my HP-1k are actually HP-2, John has the HP-1.

I also stand around for a moment pondering which Grado to listen to but I'm sure it doesn't take me as long as John to decide.
biggrin.gif
 Thanks for clearing up that you actually have the HP2…I though you along with John also had the HP-1.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #33,088 of 66,263
  I'm sure the sale man was a good guy but also wanted to get rid of the RS2 as well before replacing them with a demo (e) series. I'm sure his interest was in sales more than anything else. Anyway, from what we all understand here, you can't go wrong with the RS2e, and I'm sure they'll see you again.

That's my first thought too. Then again, $375 for a demo pair of an rs2 is steep though, so I'm not sure why he started with that price. Unlike stacker's dealer that offered ps500 for $250. That was amazing.

Quote:

You tried 325e as well? If I may ask, how big was the difference, from memory, between the 325e you tried and the rs2e you have on your hand? Does your rs2e sounds figuratively amazingly/eye-openingly more transparent than the 325e you demo? Or does the transparency only differs in a subtle way in the sense that you think your friends wouldn't be able to notice it?

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #33,089 of 66,263

No doubt you are correct about his motives.  Still, it ended well, and I am happy.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #33,090 of 66,263
  You tried 325e as well? If I may ask, how big was the difference, from memory, between the 325e you tried and the rs2e you have on your hand? Does your rs2e sounds figuratively amazingly/eye-openingly more transparent than the 325e you demo? Or does the transparency only differs in a subtle way in the sense that you think your friends wouldn't be able to notice it?

Yes...I tried the SR325...pretty sure it was the "e", but not positive.  Going from memory, and without the benefit of an A-B comparison, I thought that the SR325 was a bit too bright...at least for my tastes.  I also thought that the RS2's had a bit better clarity (transparency?) and a bit wider sound stage.  I listened to the same tracks from my portable rig on both, but not in immediate succession.  I think I listened to the GS1000 in between the SR325 and RS2.  To my ears, with the tracks I listened to, the RS2 were exceptional.  (The GS1000 were also very sweet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back