Grado Fan Club!
Oct 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #28,441 of 65,638
  The SR60, SR80, and SR125 - How Different?

I find that my SR60, SR80, and SR125 all LOOK the same... same materials, same sizes, etc.  If they didn't have different model numbers on the label, I could not tell them apart at sight.

I CAN distinguish differences in their sound, however!  Some of that is in my post in my signature about comparing 13 Grados.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is done to the SR60 vs. SR80 vs. SR125 to make them different and cause them to ascend in price in that order?

I am not talking about the differences between original and -i series, or -i and -e series, but differences in model number design within the same (original, -i, or -e) series.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Not sure about everything....but I am pretty sure the driver are more closely matched as you move up the line....that can cause for better sonic improvements.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #28,442 of 65,638
  Speaking of the Grado PS500,----
---and they're asking $250 (Canadian). They are in very good condition, with only one very small nick on one of the earcups. They come with the same warranty as the new ones, and the guy had kept the original box.

... Insane price, what a steal. If only I'm not this far away in Asia I'll buy that in a heartbeat
eek.gif
;
that will be a mighty fine gift for my dad, and the difference from buying it brand new will be spent on a starting DAC+amp set.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #28,443 of 65,638
a little "champagne and reefer" to get this saturday morning started !

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #28,444 of 65,638

I find that my SR60, SR80, and SR125 all LOOK the same... same materials, same sizes, etc.  If they didn't have different model numbers on the label, I could not tell them apart at sight.

I CAN distinguish differences in their sound, however!  Some of that is in my post in my signature about comparing 13 Grados.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is done to the SR60 vs. SR80 vs. SR125 to make them different and cause them to ascend in price in that order?

I am not talking about the differences between original and -i series, or -i and -e series, but differences in model number design within the same (original, -i, or -e) series.

I just replaced my 80e’s with 125e’s - the first physical thing I noticed (besides the much heavier gauge cable) was that the 125 enclosures are little deeper...

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #28,446 of 65,638

Those details are on the Grado website, under each individual Prestige Series headphone's webpage. I look over these from time to time too. I usually start with reading the 60. Then when reading the 80 description it explains what is done extra compared to the 60.

Here are a couple of examples in the description of the 125 that are not in the 80 or 60. 

1. The SR125e features a state-of-the-art driver and cable design utilizing UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Crystal) copper voice coil wire.
  2. The Diaphragms are put through a special de-stressing process in order to enhance inner detail.

However now you have drawn my attention to this, I have noticed something odd here. The SR80 and SR80i used to be described as having gone through the diaphragm de-stressing process. Now it is described as only in the 125 and above I presume.

It might mean the 80e has more in common with the 60e, than the 80i had in common with the 60i.

However I wonder if this is a mistake with the Grado website. I noticed the descriptive text of the 80e reads identical to that of the 60e.

To re-cap, originally it went 60; then the 80 had added de-stressed diaphragm; then the 125 added UHPLC cable.

(Then following on, the 225 has a new vent and closer matched driver. Then this is where I get confused about something. The 325 reads only to have a new casing, ie. the aluminium.  I have been wondering if the 325 is the 225 in a metal case, plus fancy headband. I emailed Grado about this, but the reply was ambiguous. (Additionally it is also why I think the 225e in a wood cup could sound better than the 325e. However I am only guessing. Jospeph69 did mentioned once that the frequency response of the 325 is stated as wider than on the 225e. He was replying to one of my earlier wonderings, about this.) 

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #28,447 of 65,638

Those details are on the Grado website, under each individual Prestige Series headphone's webpage. I look over these from time to time too. I usually start with reading the 60. Then when reading the 80 description it explains what is done extra compared to the 60.

Here are a couple of examples in the description of the 125 that are not in the 80 or 60. 

1. The SR125e features a state-of-the-art driver and cable design utilizing UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Crystal) copper voice coil wire.
  2. The Diaphragms are put through a special de-stressing process in order to enhance inner detail.

However now you have drawn my attention to this, I have noticed something odd here. The SR80 and SR80i used to be described as having gone through the diaphragm de-stressing process. Now it is described as only in the 125 and above I presume.

It might mean the 80e has more in common with the 60e, than the 80i had in common with the 60i.

However I wonder if this is a mistake with the Grado website. I noticed the descriptive text of the 80e reads identical to that of the 60e.

To re-cap, originally it went 60; then the 80 had added de-stressed diaphragm; then the 125 added UHPLC cable.

(Then following on, the 225 has a new vent and closer matched driver. Then this is where I get confused about something. The 325 reads only to have a new casing, ie. the aluminium.  I have been wondering if the 325 is the 225 in a metal case, plus fancy headband. I emailed Grado about this, but the reply was ambiguous. (Additionally it is also why I think the 225e in a wood cup could sound better than the 325e. However I am only guessing. Jospeph69 did mentioned once that the frequency response of the 325 is stated as wider than on the 225e. He was replying to one of my earlier wonderings, about this.) 

If Grado's product description is as thorough as their quality control.....
rolleyes.gif

On a more positive note, I have sold my GS1k for the ''buy it now'' price. They've gone to Japan.

In other news, now that I have sold my GS1k, I have pulled my Bushmills out of retirement, and I'm rediscovering how good they sound, especially with the L-cush, talk about a ''no brainer''!

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #28,449 of 65,638
Just purchased a pair of SR80e from 4ourears.com for office use. Can't wait to compare them to my PS500, RS2e, GR10e.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #28,450 of 65,638
  Just purchased a pair of SR80e from 4ourears.com for office use. Can't wait to compare them to my PS500, RS2e, GR10e.

I have swapped the stock comfies, for some L-cush, wich, I think, brings the SR80e to the next level.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #28,451 of 65,638
I've had the HD-800 out on loan for 2-days now, and last night while listening to them I decided to put my PS1K on…then I decided to put my RS1i w/TTVJ Flats, which I've said more than once I didn't like. I'm starting to feel the RS1i with the Flats was a happy-medium between both the HD-800/PS1K…and continued to listen to them for the rest of the night and are going to listen to them again tonight…all night!

I've canceled my GS-Xmk2/HE-1000 combo and put the deposit down on something else. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #28,452 of 65,638
  I've had the HD-800 out on loan for 2-days now, and last night while listening to them I decided to put my PS1K on…then I decided to put my RS1i w/TTVJ Flats, which I've said more than once I didn't like. I'm starting to feel the RS1i with the Flats was a happy-medium between both the HD-800/PS1K…and continued to listen to them for the rest of the night and are going to listen to them again tonight…all night!

I've canceled my GS-Xmk2/HE-1000 combo and put the deposit down on something else. 
biggrin.gif

''JOHN, I COMMAND YOU TO LEAVE THIS BODY''
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #28,453 of 65,638

I've canceled my GS-Xmk2/HE-1000 combo and put the deposit down on something else. :D

''JOHN, I COMMAND YOU TO LEAVE THIS BODY'' :D
Omg, hahahaha hilarious!

Joseph! The suspense is killing me!!! :D

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #28,454 of 65,638

biggrin.gif

Wow crazy..
Stacker45 can you give me some of your meds plz...
LoL.
L3000.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #28,455 of 65,638
Joseph! The suspense is killing me!!!
biggrin.gif

As you may know, I've been looking for something other than Grados for my listening pleasure.
Although I know I said I would never even want to hear the Stax SR-009 I decided I'm going to purchase a pair.
The only problem is that I now need an electrostatic amp to go with them. So instead of wasting money trying different amps for the them I put my purchase/deposit for the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo down on a BHSE, and also made the list for the current production batch! I've never heard the SR-009/BHSE but from reading many reviews on this combo most people are just speechless and claim there is nothing like it, so I would like to know for myself. Plus for the price I was paying of the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo I wasn't too far off from my decision on the SR-009/BHSE. OK, I have to go now…I'm late for my therapy treatment which I started right after I made this decision. 
biggrin.gif

confused_face.gif

size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back