Grado Fan Club!
Oct 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #28,471 of 65,547
  Thank you very much…LOL!
I've already gotten to audio Nirvana with what I already have, but just an something different for a change. I'm sure this won't be the last time, as I do enjoy hearing different equipment/HP's.
beerchug.gif

LMAO!
 Thanks guys, I appreciate the congratulations!
Jay…I here ya on that one! I'm a bit speechless myself. But like I said, I wasn't so far off from my original plan with the mk2/HE1K so I said just go for it! I'll also have time to save some more money while waiting and won't have to pay for the amp in one shot being you pay quarterly throughout the build and I'm already more than half the way there for the by canceling the mk2/HE1K combo and leaving that deposit on the BHSE. I ordered the SR-009 last night, so they should be here in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted!
beerchug.gif

i think we started getting serious about this whole head-fi thing about the same time, we both started kinda small, stayed all grado for a while, then branched out some, i think it's good to try new things, it puts things in a better perspective, everything is relative 

cheers my friend !    

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #28,472 of 65,547
  As you may know, I've been looking for something other than Grados for my listening pleasure.
Although I know I said I would never even want to hear the Stax SR-009 I decided I'm going to purchase a pair.
The only problem is that I now need an electrostatic amp to go with them. So instead of wasting money trying different amps for the them I put my purchase/deposit for the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo down on a BHSE, and also made the list for the current production batch! I've never heard the SR-009/BHSE but from reading many reviews on this combo most people are just speechless and claim there is nothing like it, so I would like to know for myself. Plus for the price I was paying of the GS-Xmk2/HE1K combo I wasn't too far off from my decision on the SR-009/BHSE. OK, I have to go now…I'm late for my therapy treatment which I started right after I made this decision. 
biggrin.gif

confused_face.gif

size]

I'm not up-to-date at all on BHSE, but when I first joined head-fi I read the thread. Does BHSE still have months to years waiting time before you can get the item?
If so, what will you hook-up the sr-009 in the meantime?

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #28,473 of 65,547
I came across a revelation last night when listening to my GH1. I've always had it very forward on my ears and so I lost a lot of sound and they just didn't sound like grado. Where was the energy it had before break-in? Why were the mids so weak? Where's the bass? And then I slipped em back a few millimeters and BANG, all the sound came back! The cymbals danced in my head, the bass came back, and damn are those mids nice and full! Review will start next weekend because I won't have a speech due on monday like I have now. 

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had some positioning problems with their grados? Those darn L-pads are difficult to get right! 

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #28,474 of 65,547
Good for you. Just so you know, Marantz  uses the model numbers to designate the power output. For example, my 2220B has 20 watts RMS per channel. When you go past 100 w.p.c. they become the 23XX series, so the 2325 has 125 w.p.c. etc

Try to buy one from the 22XX serie, wich starts with the 2215B, and goes all the way up to the 75 w.p.c., 2275, then you have the 23XX serie, and then you have the two most powerful, and sought after models, wich are the 2500, and 2600, wich have 250 and 3000 w.p.c. respectively! The only 2600 that I have ever seen on sale, went for over $4000!:eek:

I think that the reason why I like the vintage Marantz/ Grado combination , is because Grados are lean fast, and detailed, while Marantz are rich, lush and mellow, so together they strike an almost ''perfect'' balance.      

Oh! and thank you, but to be honest, I never intended to have a Grado collection, it just sort of happened, in fact my GS1000 are for sale at the moment.

It doesn't stop at 2275. I own a 2285. While I haven't tried any Grado's with the Marantz, I can say that the 2285 was one of the best amps for the HE6. A stunning combination that rivals any setup for sheer presence, tactility and expansiveness (at a fraction of the price). You need to consider, however, that these vintage units are difficult to service (specifically when it comes to finding someone) and will in most cases require immediate cap swaps. Both my Marantz and vintage Pioneer needed servicing within weeks of purchase. It's not so much a question of "if", but "when" -- bear that in mind if you decide to go this route.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #28,475 of 65,547
I came across a revelation last night when listening to my GH1. I've always had it very forward on my ears and so I lost a lot of sound and they just didn't sound like grado. Where was the energy it had before break-in? Why were the mids so weak? Where's the bass? And then I slipped em back a few millimeters and BANG, all the sound came back! The cymbals danced in my head, the bass came back, and damn are those mids nice and full! Review will start next weekend because I won't have a speech due on monday like I have now. 

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had some positioning problems with their grados? Those darn L-pads are difficult to get right! 

I've actually found advice suggesting to position Grados FORWARD, so as to make the sound come toward you from ahead and increase the sound stage. Good to see that there is a spectral advantage to moving them back.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #28,476 of 65,547
I've actually found advice suggesting to position Grados FORWARD, so as to make the sound come toward you from ahead and increase the sound stage. Good to see that there is a spectral advantage to moving them back.

I think I just had them so far forward that the opening to my ear drum was almost covered by the L-cushion and breaking the 'seal'.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #28,477 of 65,547
Omg, hahahaha hilarious!

Joseph! The suspense is killing me!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Worms, I have to give John some credits for being, the way he is, and for having such a great sense of humour!
beerchug.gif

Wow crazy..
Stacker45 can you give me some of your meds plz...
LoL.
L3000.gif

I'll give you my oxycodone, on one condition....you have to take my Crohn's disease too.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #28,478 of 65,547
I think I just had them so far forward that the opening to my ear drum was almost covered by the L-cushion and breaking the 'seal'.

After looking at the picture of you in your avatar, we may have different understandings of which way "forward" is!

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #28,479 of 65,547
Thanks Worms, I have to give John some credits for being, the way he is, and for having such a great sense of humour! :beerchug:

I'll give you my oxycodone, on one condition....you have to take my Crohn's disease too. :p

My drug of choice is oxymoron.

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #28,480 of 65,547
Oct 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #28,481 of 65,547
  i think we started getting serious about this whole head-fi thing about the same time, we both started kinda small, stayed all grado for a while, then branched out some, i think it's good to try new things, it puts things in a better perspective, everything is relative 

cheers my friend !    

I believe your right, we both pretty much had gotten into this at the same time.
And yes, like you, I started climbing the ladder, and as my curiosity grew after thinking WOW these sound great (80i) how much better can it really get??? From there on in, it was all over!!! I absolutely agree that it is good/necessary to try other brands just for yourself  to hear whats out there and listen to different HP sound-signatures to hear if there for your tastes! Funny thing is…I haven't found one yet that I prefer over the Grados sound-signature (price irrelevent) and very well may never.
beerchug.gif

I'm not up-to-date at all on BHSE, but when I first joined head-fi I read the thread. Does BHSE still have months to years waiting time before you can get the item?
If so, what will you hook-up the sr-009 in the meantime?

I don't know how long the wait is going to be…hopefully my number isn't up before I receive it, LOL!
I'm not going to be able to hear the Stax until I receive the BHSE, but I bought the Stax anyway just incase the exchange rate changed and I might have had to pay more. This is exactly why I went for the BHSE…instead of buying several different amps (which I would have done) for lets just say $1500.00+/- (not saying there anything wrong with a $1500.00 amp) for the Stax I know myself with this hobby, my curiosity would just get the best of me, then I would be buying/selling amps that would have lost some value, and  by that time I figured with that money adding up that I would have lost buying/selling, I just went for what I really wanted, and probably ended up with anyway. Thats the method to my madness! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Definitely different sound from moving the drivers forwards/backwards.

Oct 11, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #28,482 of 65,547
It doesn't stop at 2275. I own a 2285. While I haven't tried any Grado's with the Marantz, I can say that the 2285 was one of the best amps for the HE6. A stunning combination that rivals any setup for sheer presence, tactility and expansiveness (at a fraction of the price). You need to consider, however, that these vintage units are difficult to service (specifically when it comes to finding someone) and will in most cases require immediate cap swaps. Both my Marantz and vintage Pioneer needed servicing within weeks of purchase. It's not so much a question of "if", but "when" -- bear that in mind if you decide to go this route.

You're preaching to the choir, my friend!
beerchug.gif

I never said that it stops at the 2275, I'm fully aware that the 2600 is the holy grail of vintage Marantz recievers. That being said, I have read that the 2230, 2275 recievers, and 1060 integrated amp, are the best sounding Marantz from the 70's.

As for being aware that vintage gear eventually need servicing, I own 12 pieces of vintage audio gear, 6 of wich are Marantz, (3 recievers and 3 turntables),

When one of them needs servicing, I simply bring it to my audio dealer, and they send it to a technician that only repairs old audio gear. The tech even told them ''if it came with a remote control, I won't repair it''. 

I think that buying a low powered vintage Marantz reciever from the 70's is a very smart thing to do. They sound great, look great, they're cheap ($100 - $150). For that you get, a tuner, a pre amp, an amp, a phono pre amp, plus, an headphone amp.  

In my opinion, they sound as good, if not better, than many dedicated headphone amps, costing many times it's price.

The icing on the cake for me is that you can enjoy them for many years, and sell them for the same price, or maybe even more than what you've paid., now that's what I consider, WIN WIN.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #28,483 of 65,547
I'm not going to be able to hear the Stax until I receive the BHSE, but I bought the Stax anyway just incase the exchange rate changed and I might have had to pay more. This is exactly why I went for the BHSE…instead of buying several different amps (which I would have done) for lets just say $1500.00+/- (not saying there anything wrong with a $1500.00 amp) for the Stax I know myself with this hobby, my curiosity would just get the best of me, then I would be buying/selling amps that would have lost some value, and  by that time I figured with that money adding up that I would have lost buying/selling, I just went for what I really wanted, and probably ended up with anyway. Thats the method to my madness! 
biggrin.gif

I know I should've congratulates you. But I feel like, given the BHSE waiting time, it's like congratulating a person who just bought a kickass sports car, but not having the key for the foreseeable future. I feel weird is what I'm saying, lol.

Well, it's got to be worth the wait. Congratulations. I hope you get it before Marvel's Civil War is out.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #28,484 of 65,547
My drug of choice is oxymoron.

What do you call a moron that usues oxycodone?....never mind, don't answer that!, just take this gun away from me, so that I don't shoot myself in my other foot!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I believe your right, we both pretty much had gotten into this at the same time.
And yes, like you, I started climbing the ladder, and as my curiosity grew after thinking WOW these sound great (80i) how much better can it really get??? From there on in, it was all over!!! I absolutely agree that it is good/necessary to try other brands just for yourself  to hear whats out there and listen to different HP sound-signatures to hear if there for your tastes! Funny thing is…I haven't found one yet that I prefer over the Grados sound-signature (price irrelevent) and very well may never.
beerchug.gif

I don't know how long the wait is going to be…hopefully my number isn't up before I receive it, LOL!
biggrin.gif

Stax 009!!!
eek.gif

Congratz Joseph! I hope that you'll still come to the Dark Side, and visit us ''little ordinary people''
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I have thought about selling all of my Grados, and buy a pair of Stax 009 with an assorted amp, but then the meds wore off, and I realised how crazy of a move, this would be!
rolleyes.gif

I know that you know that I'm just kidding, so this is for those who don't know me as well you do.
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #28,485 of 65,547
  I know I should've congratulates you. But I feel like, given the BHSE waiting time, it's like congratulating a person who just bought a kickass sports car, but not having the key for the foreseeable future. I feel weird is what I'm saying, lol.
Well, it's got to be worth the wait. Congratulations. I hope you get it before Marvel's Civil War is out.

Thank you!
I did make the list for the current batch of BHSE's so thats a plus!

Stax 009!!!
eek.gif

Congratz Joseph! I hope that you'll still come to the Dark Side, and visit us ''little ordinary people''
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I have thought about selling all of my Grados, and buy a pair of Stax 009 with an assorted amp, but then the meds wore off, and I realised how crazy of a move, this would be!
size]

I know that you know that I'm just kidding, so this is for those who don't know me as well you do.
size]

Thank you!
I am a "little ordinary person" and always will be, and will always LOVE Grado…listening to "The Doobie Brothers with the RS1i right now and loving it! 
Take some more meds and join me so we can compare what we hear from the Stax. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back