Grado Fan Club!
Jul 25, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #26,791 of 65,761
  I've had a variety of Grado's in the past (SR80i, RS-2i, SR-225i, HF-2) but have recently rejoined the club! Happy owner of the SR-80e, should keep me entertained for a bit :wink:

nice
i've had a bunch of grado's, but never an 80, been kinda thinking about the 125e as well, i've never had, or even heard a 125

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #26,793 of 65,761
  Hello ps500e owners! Would i benefit any sound qualities if i buy G-cush pads for them? I've read that they mud 325i and since ps500e is similar to them i'm afraid to burn another $50 for nothing,so please give me a simple answer: worth it and improves anything or should i just be happy with the stock pads? Thank you.

I have the PS500s and have been using G-cush pads with them for quite a while now. I like the sound better with the G-cush pads. I definitely don't think it makes the PS500s sound any worse. Your mileage might vary.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #26,795 of 65,761
  I've sold my 325i because needed  to fond the ps500e and while i didn't have 325i i started listening to my wife's 80i.I ran them through a good chain and was just stunned how in certain jazz and soul songs bettered my over $1500 headphones,i'm serious.I always thought that it will be a good headphone for my wife's sansa player and never cared to enjoy them,since i already was involved in hd800,hd650 and others.But it's a truly great pair of headphones.I'm afraid i enjoyed them more than 325i since they weren't that sibilant.I was on stage with Patty LaBelle and was sitting close to Bill Evans piano and so on.For any of you,who can't afford more expensive Grado's , Grado 80 will be just fine and i'm sure PS1000 will never be 15 times better:)) Not even 3 times better,probably.

Hello ps500e owners! Would i benefit any sound qualities if i buy G-cush pads for them? I've read that they mud 325i and since ps500e is similar to them i'm afraid to burn another $50 for nothing,so please give me a simple answer: worth it and improves anything or should i just be happy with the stock pads? Thank you.

Can't answer on the G-cush pads but do you have the PS500e yet? I would try them as they are to start with, they are designed to use the pads they come with and sound amazing with them. The wooden cups in all the higher end Grado seems to get rid of any harshness. I went from the SR80 to the SR225 to the RS2e and finally the PS500e, the RS2e and PS500e both have great treble without being sibilance. I enjoy listening to Jazz on these headphones more than any others.

I had planned on getting the G-cush to try them out but I have been so happy with the sound from the PS500e that I have decided not to bother.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #26,796 of 65,761
As I stated, I'm giving my impressions a little bit at a time (while listening) as I burn-in the GH-1. I haven't actually compared them to the RS1i's, but from listening to my RS1i's countless hours, so far the GH-1 is definitely a mellower/darker/thicker sounding HP but with just as much clarity/detail as the RS1i. Don't take the word "dark" the wrong way, their just not as in your upfront as the RS1i. I believe this is due to the GH-1's having more (but not exaggerated) lower/mid-bass and blacker background. Please keep in mind the GH-1 have maybe 10hrs of burn-in. Even at this point, I do believe MANY people are going to enjoy this sound-signature. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #26,797 of 65,761

I have the PS500s and have been using G-cush pads with them for quite a while now. I like the sound better with the G-cush pads. I definitely don't think it makes the PS500s sound any worse. Your mileage might vary.

Ok, i'll give it a try then, and i could always use l-cush from ps500 on RS-80i,someone recommended to try that mod as well.

Can't answer on the G-cush pads but do you have the PS500e yet? I would try them as they are to start with, they are designed to use the pads they come with and sound amazing with them. The wooden cups in all the higher end Grado seems to get rid of any harshness. I went from the SR80 to the SR225 to the RS2e and finally the PS500e, the RS2e and PS500e both have great treble without being sibilance. I enjoy listening to Jazz on these headphones more than any others.

I had planned on getting the G-cush to try them out but I have been so happy with the sound from the PS500e that I have decided not to bother.

I still wouldn't know how to otherwise deal with the itch to try g-cush and since i've got a green light from DarthFader i'm going to give it a try but i can't agree with you more that they sound great as it is.I couldn't take them off for 5 hours watching live concerts by Roy buchanan, America,The Cure and Michel Petrucciani last night.And again there isn't huge difference that i was expecting from switching after 325i but they are definitely better,i had 325 for 7 years and it was a love and hate relationship, it's just that sibilance doesn't bother me at all anymore and everything is so airy and musical.I just wish for a bit more at least ATH-m50 bass but i guess it's not a Grado thing.A person who sold me the 500e told me they are bassy.Sure,more than 80i but you don't feel the vibration still.So, not that great for hip-hop,dubstep etc.I don't even know if i got a bad driver or they don't hold to big bass coming from even chill dub step,the driver rattles like it's bad,if i switch to ligher on bass styles everything goes back to normal.So still not sure if i should fix them or it's normal. But rock, jazz, female vocals, opera, Coltrane,Netrebko vocals...-eargasm! P.S. They love the last Brian Wilson album:))

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #26,798 of 65,761

ooo the music you mentioned before, america-a horse with no name.i knew that song from american tv series breaking bad.when walter white(the main character) sing along that song when he drive

Oh, I don't watch TV so I had no idea who this was, but I knew he wasn't a member of the band "America" which is what I thought you might have thought. 

Intersting, I have Ventura Highway on my "test set". A few others:

Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
Nevermind - Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz
Hitch a Ride - Boston
Samba Pa Ti - Santana
Nuthin' at All - Heart
Scherzo 2 in B flat minor, Op 32 - Anna Gourari
Caprice #24 - Itzak Perlman
High Noon - Tony Rice Unit
The Lark Ascending - Vaughn Williams &c
Do You Like It - D'Sound

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #26,799 of 65,761
+ 1 for the G-cush on the PS500. For my ears, the G-Gush improve the sound of the PS500. I have the old version (not e) and this one has for me with the L-cush a midbass hump that I don't like to much. The G-cushion makes the bass a little bit less strong and dampens the midbass hump. I enjoy it more with them.

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #26,800 of 65,761
  As I stated, I'm giving my impressions a little bit at a time (while listening) as I burn-in the GH-1. I haven't actually compared them to the RS1i's, but from listening to my RS1i's countless hours, so far the GH-1 is definitely a mellower/darker/thicker sounding HP but with just as much clarity/detail as the RS1i. Don't take the word "dark" the wrong way, their just not as in your upfront as the RS1i. I believe this is due to the GH-1's having more (but not exaggerated) lower/mid-bass and blacker background. Please keep in mind the GH-1 have maybe 10hrs of burn-in. Even at this point, I do believe MANY people are going to enjoy this sound-signature. 

By darker, I assume you are saying...treble is tamed way down compared to the RS1i....but still great detail .

if you had to give a percentage on the treble, Joseph......how much would you say it has tamed down....if it has any at all.

When you say darker....I immediately think less treble.

For all you grado fans on a fine Sunday morning.  
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #26,801 of 65,761
ah, finally got a good chance to listen to the GH-1. Excellent little headphone, these are Grados all the way. They definitely didn't stray from the sound we love, no rolled off treble here. Nothing mellow about these! :veryevil:

I tried comparing them to my rs1 (with buttons) tonight, but unfortunately one of my metal gimbals on them broke off, so no go. Haha, the sad thing is, that I actually have a spare pair of metal gimbals but I HAVE NO TOOLS! (insert facepalm here)

For anybody wondering, these use the new Grado e series drivers (of course). You can see by shining a light on the back side. the drivers have the newer circuit board (area) were two of the holes aren't felt.

Anyhow, I've been using these cans all week, but just here and there since I don't get a chance to listen for too long. To make things worse, I still don't have a dedicated listening area in the new house so my amps are in the closet and I only bring 'em out on Saturday nights/ EARLY Sunday mornings to come out and play.

My first impression was that it sounded like my ps500e that I sold not too long ago, which is not a bad thing! Upon further listening, I believe these have more treble presence and maybe more extension. Bass is indeed very nice. Good presence without being overpowering or overemphasized. very good punch when it calls for it. Like all Grados (deep)sub bass is not really there IMO. I do believe these do reach a bit lower than what older models did, maybe all e series do?

The soundstage, from I can remember is the same as the PS500e, which is something that the e series also improved upon. Instruments and voices have their own space and there is a nice little 3D image going on that I don't think previous generation Grados achieved the way these do.

Personally, I would've like to hear more (full) body to the midrange as from what I can recall my Rs1 definitely has. My Rs1 has such a good tonality, voices sound excellent and acoustic instruments have beautiful timbre that nothing else I've heard quite does it like the Rs1.

I hope to get em fixed by tonight maybe and I'll try to compare side by side.

On a totally different note. I would've like to have seen serial numbers on these and definitely a little something extra when it comes to the packaging. Even different printing on the same little boring box would've been nice!

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #26,802 of 65,761
ah, finally got a good chance to listen to the GH-1. Excellent little headphone, these are Grados all the way. They definitely didn't stray from the sound we love, no rolled off treble here. Nothing mellow about these!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I tried comparing them to my rs1 (with buttons) tonight, but unfortunately one of my metal gimbals on them broke off, so no go. Haha, the sad thing is, that I actually have a spare pair of metal gimbals but I HAVE NO TOOLS! (insert facepalm here)

For anybody wondering, these use the new Grado e series drivers (of course). You can see by shining a light on the back side. the drivers have the newer circuit board (area) were two of the holes aren't felt.

Anyhow, I've been using these cans all week, but just here and there since I don't get a chance to listen for too long. To make things worse, I still don't have a dedicated listening area in the new house so my amps are in the closet and I only bring 'em out on Saturday nights/ EARLY Sunday mornings to come out and play.

My first impression was that it sounded like my ps500e that I sold not too long ago, which is not a bad thing! Upon further listening, I believe these have more treble presence and maybe more extension. Bass is indeed very nice. Good presence without being overpowering or overemphasized. very good punch when it calls for it. Like all Grados (deep)sub bass is not really there IMO. I do believe these do reach a bit lower than what older models did, maybe all e series do?

The soundstage, from I can remember is the same as the PS500e, which is something that the e series also improved upon. Instruments and voices have their own space and there is a nice little 3D image going on that I don't think previous generation Grados achieved.

Personally, I would've like to hear more (full) body to the midrange as from what I can recall my Rs1 definitely has. My Rs1 has such a good tonality, voices sound excellent and acoustic instruments have beautiful timbre that nothing else I've heard quite does it like the Rs1.

I hope to get em fixed by tonight maybe and I'll try to compare side by side.

On a totally different note. I would've like to have seen serial numbers on these and definitely a little something extra when it comes to the packaging. Even different printing on the same little boring box would've been nice!

Thank you very much worms 
smile.gif

Reading everybody's responses.....yours makes the most sense to me..........sort of a wooden cuped PS500 .......Grado said they fall in between the RS2 and RS1

I hear what you are saying about the midrange....but I swear you can't have a deeper bottom end, without losing a little goodness from the mids, at least it sure seems that way to me.

Any way....thanks for your thoughts they are very much appreciated.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #26,803 of 65,761
Thnx worms.
Stacker had quoted ps500e so your comments make that two.
Can't wait to read your comparisons later with button rs1.
:)

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #26,804 of 65,761

ah, finally got a good chance to listen to the GH-1.....

Thank you very much worms 
smile.gif

Reading everybody's responses.....yours makes the most sense to me..........sort of a wooden cuped PS500 .......Grado said they fall in between the RS2 and RS1

I hear what you are saying about the midrange....but I swear you can't have a deeper bottom end, without losing a little goodness from the mids, at least it sure seems that way to me.

Any way....thanks for your thoughts they are very much appreciated.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate your feedback! haha, a wooden cupped Ps500"E" that is! 
tongue.gif

The ps500 was definitely the most laid back Grado that I can recall right now, the Ps500e changed that, IMO. 

Also worth mentioning, I tried the GH-1 with TTVJ flats and personally I did not like it as it got too thick/bassy. It maybe ok for awhile, but no contest vs the L-cush.

I also tried the taped L-cush and it also muddied things up and reduced the soundstage, so it didn't quite sound right. 

The G cush sounds good on these. I remember trying the G cush on the Ps500e, and while it did sound good, the ps500e lost it's definition. The edges to the notes just became distorted and not very well defined (if that makes sense). The G-cush on the GH-1 does not have this effect like it did on the ps500e, these drivers I think do indeed perform at a bit higher level than the ps500e or other models below. I feel like they also handle higher volumes very well which other grados don't always seem to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back