Grado Fan Club!
Apr 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2,566 of 65,692

Quote:
http://www.needledoctor.com › ... › Headphones › Grado Headphones

Wow, I think I've seen that guy open and fondle like a hundred headphones, but somehow I missed that one....thanks OM! I forgot these come with the extension cable and the 1/8" adapter....like this guy, I guess I have two of each now :)  He doesn't seem to have much experience with Grados based on his comments, but was interesting when he said he didn't care for the higher end Grados...wonder why.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,567 of 65,692

Quote:

Wow, I think I've seen that guy open and fondle like a hundred headphones, but somehow I missed that one....thanks OM! I forgot these come with the extension cable and the 1/8" adapter....like this guy, I guess I have two of each now :)  He doesn't seem to have much experience with Grados based on his comments, but was interesting when he said he didn't care for the higher end Grados...wonder why.

theres a stereophile product of the year rs1 review what i tried to put up in the link but couldn't for some reason..

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,568 of 65,692

Quote:

theres a stereophile product of the year rs1 review what i tried to put up in the link but couldn't for some reason..

Wow, was that a recent award? I wonder if it's for the RS1 or the RS1i? Either way, seems like Stereophile likes em lol.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,569 of 65,692

Quote:

Wow, was that a recent award? I wonder if it's for the RS1 or the RS1i? Either way, seems like Stereophile likes em lol.

Good stuff Focker for pulling the trigger!

My advice is to run with the RS1i out of the box for let's say 10-15 hours, avoid the 325i for a bit and then
 suddenly switch back!

In theory that should give you biggest change to your ears!

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,570 of 65,692

Quote:

Good stuff Focker for pulling the trigger!

My advice is to run with the RS1i out of the box for let's say 10-15 hours, avoid the 325i for a bit and then
 suddenly switch back!

In theory that should give you biggest change to your ears!

That's very smart...I will do that! I totaly agree with you about that approach. Like you, I've found that often times the difference when you take something AWAY is much more significant and noticeable than when you first add it. When I bought a bunch of room treatments for my home audio rig a few years ago, I definitley knew it sounded better, but when I moved out of that room and took them all down, and then played my speakers, WOW!! It was unreal! So I appreciate you saying this and I will certainly do it that way :)  I can't wait to give them a listen!

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,571 of 65,692

Quote:

That's very smart...I will do that! I totaly agree with you about that approach. Like you, I've found that often times the difference when you take something AWAY is much more significant and noticeable than when you first add it. When I bought a bunch of room treatments for my home audio rig a few years ago, I definitley knew it sounded better, but when I moved out of that room and took them all down, and then played my speakers, WOW!! It was unreal! So I appreciate you saying this and I will certainly do it that way :)  I can't wait to give them a listen!

If your experience is anything like mine - the RS1i won't jump out at you, I'm reminded of Uncle Erik's comments (long standing
 Head-Fi Man) that 'In the end, the best gear is the stuff that grows on you, that does not shout, dance and wow you out of the
 box' - I suspect that he's right.

Initially I thought they were a warm version of the 325i - but it's not until you switch back post 10-15+ hours that you realise
 how rough around the edges the 325i is in comparison - it's not quite as thick sounding, it does not reach as low, imaging
 and soundstage by whisker also go to the RS1i and most importantly - the highs are slightly warmer but there is control
 that is lacking on the 325i - all well worth it but you have to love the 325i as the ruffian of the family! :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,572 of 65,692

Quote:

If your experience is anything like mine - the RS1i won't jump out at you, I'm reminded of Uncle Erik's comments (long standing
 Head-Fi Man) that 'In the end, the best gear is the stuff that grows on you, that does not shout, dance and wow you out of the
 box' - I suspect that he's right.

Initially I thought they were a warm version of the 325i - but it's not until you switch back post 10-15+ hours that you realise
 how rough around the edges the 325i is in comparison - it's not quite as thick sounding, it does not reach as low, imaging
 and soundstage by whisker also go to the RS1i and most importantly - the highs are slightly warmer but there is control
 that is lacking on the 325i - all well worth it but you have to love the 325i as the ruffian of the family! :)

If my experience ends up similar to yours, I'll be very happy then. I love the 325s, so if the RS1s aren't a huge departure from them, but instead more refined, a little less rough around the edges, with a bit more bass extension, etc, then I'll be thrilled with that. Being a Magnepan lover, that's the sort of upgrade Im used to experiencing in all honestly. As you go up the Maggie line, it's not night and day improvements. It's more like the things you just mentioned, and that is exactly what I'm after.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2,573 of 65,692

Quote:

If my experience ends up similar to yours, I'll be very happy then. I love the 325s, so if the RS1s aren't a huge departure from them, but instead more refined, a little less rough around the edges, with a bit more bass extension, etc, then I'll be thrilled with that. Being a Magnepan lover, that's the sort of upgrade Im used to experiencing in all honestly. As you go up the Maggie line, it's not night and day improvements. It's more like the things you just mentioned, and that is exactly what I'm after.

I am a dj and have got the ps1000s and i use them with my cambridge audio 840a and 840c and they sound exactly like a martin sound system that they have in all the best clubs..The higher up the line you go the more they sound like speakers and are good with every type of music even dance..

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2,574 of 65,692

That's true - only two headphones have ever consistently fooled me late into the night that I was indeed listening to
 a headphone, not some pretty darn nice speakers! the HD800 and PS1000 - it should be noted that this is the biggest
 difference when comparing let's say the RS1i to the PS1000.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2,576 of 65,692
Still waiting for the RS1i :frowning2: they should be home by Friday :)

and looking into amps! really liking the woo A6 + DAC (don't know which dac yet) maybe the HRT Music Streamer II, MUsical Fidelity, DACport LX? Suggestion for a made in heaven setup with the RS1i.

Cheers

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,577 of 65,692

Quote:

and looking into amps! really liking the woo A6 + DAC (don't know which dac yet) maybe the HRT Music Streamer II, MUsical Fidelity, DACport LX? Suggestion for a made in heaven setup with the RS1i.

Cheers

My endgame amp (for grados) is going to be the MAD ear. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #2,578 of 65,692

Quote:

Cheers

Since I have RS1s on the way too, let's compare notes and see if we're hearing the same thing with them. Cool?

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,579 of 65,692

Quote:

That's true - only two headphones have ever consistently fooled me late into the night that I was indeed listening to
 a headphone, not some pretty darn nice speakers! the HD800 and PS1000 - it should be noted that this is the biggest
 difference when comparing let's say the RS1i to the PS1000.

Wow lol...it's funny, cause now that I have the RS1s on the way, I feel similarly to how I did when I was watching season 3 of sons of anarchy the other night. I was enjoying the hell out of it, but at the same time I knew I only had one season left to watch...I knew I'd enjoy it quite a lot too, but it just sort of hit me that after it was done, there was nothing left on the other side! Once you get to the RS1s, you're pretty much looking at the PS1ks down the road, but once you get THERE, that's it lol. I don't know what I'm talking about...didn't get much sleep today haha.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,580 of 65,692

Quote:
Grados, a nice tube amp, a few favorite albums and a 48 year old Colheita tawny porto... as good as it gets!

I like you're style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back