Grado Fan Club!
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2,581 of 65,550
Have you had a chance to hear the PS1000's yet? I had always assumed that was going to be my end goal as well but I did find a shop in Edmonton and auditioned them and by the time I left I realized that my Grado quest ends with the RS1i. I just found that the PS1000s sacrificed too much of what I loved about the Grado sound with rock/guitar based music. The immediacy of the music seemed to diminish and with it went the fun. The PS1000s do some things better than the RS1i (soundstage being the most obvious) but at the end of the day if I could only choose one Grado to have for the rest of my life it will easily be the RS1i (although I haven't yet heard the PS500...but that's a can of worms I don't want to open). 

What I did find was that the HE500 is a great headphone to compliment the RS1i, when I want punk/metal I go for the MAD/RS1i but when I'm wanting some soul/funk etc. the HE500/Lyr gets the go ahead. 
Quote:

Wow lol...it's funny, cause now that I have the RS1s on the way, I feel similarly to how I did when I was watching season 3 of sons of anarchy the other night. I was enjoying the hell out of it, but at the same time I knew I only had one season left to watch...I knew I'd enjoy it quite a lot too, but it just sort of hit me that after it was done, there was nothing left on the other side! Once you get to the RS1s, you're pretty much looking at the PS1ks down the road, but once you get THERE, that's it lol. I don't know what I'm talking about...didn't get much sleep today haha.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,582 of 65,550

Quote:
any one want to sell me his or her PS1000 
biggrin.gif
 ?
Got PS500 and loving it!

I know where you're coming from,and as much as i liked the PS500,i just love my PS1000,so sorry,but they're not for sale
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,583 of 65,550
Detox: In all the research I've done on here, I seem to have come across that same sentiment about the RS1s quite a few times. My local dealer doesn't carry the PS1000s for demo, but he did say he'd order  a pair if I wanted him to. FrankATL and I live near the same dealer, so I think probably at some point both of us will want to hear them, so sooner or later we'll ask the dealer to pull the trigger. I have read several times that in terms of the traditional Grado sound, the RS1s is top of the line, so I'm very interested to hear them. All I know is that I love the look of those Mahogany cups and if this is any sort of upgrade over my 325s I'm going to be very happy. I think I like the 325s more than most people do, so I'm looking for "more of a good thing" as opposed to something totally different.

I'll just have to give a listen some day and see how they sound to my ears. I think the looks of the PS1000s are beautiful, though...

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2,584 of 65,550
Focker I cant wait to hear your thoughts on those RS1's. I am thinking when I decide to get something new agian its either going to be the RS1's or PS500. Right now I am leaning towards the PS500 but your thoughts could change my mind. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #2,585 of 65,550
You got it. Once I have some time with the RS1s, I"m going to try to find a way to listen to the PS series just to compare. I just can't believe how much more I'm enjoying music since I started getting more involved with higher end headphones...sometimes when I would be in the research/buying phase for regular audio gear, I felt like all I really did was listen to reference demo material to figure ouw what sounded best. It never seemed to result in a significan increase in the amount of music I listened to. It's been totally different with headphones. I am listening much more frequently, and as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I often fall asleep with a pair of them on lol. It's really been great and it's a lot of fun sharing it with all you fellow Grado lovers:)

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2,587 of 65,550
So, I'm enjoying these SR60is more than my 80s, which I have to admit I've always disliked. The 60is seem to be more even, the highs aren't like an ice pick in my ear. I removed the mesh and button and put on taped L cushions, that all improved things further.

Is it worth it to go on to something like the 225i or 325i? I was thinking about just keeping these and then getting a leather headband and maybe wood cups later.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2,588 of 65,550
You got it. Once I have some time with the RS1s, I"m going to try to find a way to listen to the PS series just to compare. I just can't believe how much more I'm enjoying music since I started getting more involved with higher end headphones...sometimes when I would be in the research/buying phase for regular audio gear, I felt like all I really did was listen to reference demo material to figure ouw what sounded best. It never seemed to result in a significan increase in the amount of music I listened to. It's been totally different with headphones. I am listening much more frequently, and as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I often fall asleep with a pair of them on lol. It's really been great and it's a lot of fun sharing it with all you fellow Grado lovers:)

Your story sounds a lot like mine. :) I started with speakers in stereo, then home theater, and now I've moved on to headphones. Like you, I find myself listening to a lot more music (and I'm headed to 2 concerts this weekend as an indirect result) and falling asleep with headphones on, especially my Grados.

The highest in the Grado line that I've heard is the 80s, which I own. I'd like to hear more, obviously, and hopefully I can once I can finally make it to a meet. The area where I live isn't exactly a hotbed of activity of any kind, especially anything tech-related.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #2,589 of 65,550

Quote:
Detox: In all the research I've done on here, I seem to have come across that same sentiment about the RS1s quite a few times. My local dealer doesn't carry the PS1000s for demo, but he did say he'd order  a pair if I wanted him to. FrankATL and I live near the same dealer, so I think probably at some point both of us will want to hear them, so sooner or later we'll ask the dealer to pull the trigger. I have read several times that in terms of the traditional Grado sound, the RS1s is top of the line, so I'm very interested to hear them. All I know is that I love the look of those Mahogany cups and if this is any sort of upgrade over my 325s I'm going to be very happy. I think I like the 325s more than most people do, so I'm looking for "more of a good thing" as opposed to something totally different.

I'll just have to give a listen some day and see how they sound to my ears. I think the looks of the PS1000s are beautiful, though...

the traditional grado sound was neutral before john took over from joe and coloured it.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #2,590 of 65,550

Quote:

the traditional grado sound was neutral before john took over from joe and coloured it.
wink.gif

So what are you saying? The traditional Grado sound doesn't exist anymore? (I'm asking seriously...I've only been into headphones since November)

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #2,591 of 65,550
Focker,
Congrats on the upgrade, looking forward to a review. You should be able to take a day off and get 15 hours in no problem.

Can someone give me some insight into the Little Dot 1+ vs the MKIII. I know I will be getting one in the near future. I see the logic behind the 1+ with higher current at 32 Ohms, but what about the pre-amp of the MKIII will it help buffer the highs a little. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also the MKIII has more options for tube rolling.

By the way I have the 225i.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #2,592 of 65,550

Quote:

So what are you saying? The traditional Grado sound doesn't exist anymore? (I'm asking seriously...I've only been into headphones since November)

He's referring to the sound that Grado's cartidges and very limited (by today's standards) runs of early headphones made. Things changed in the late 90s and the Grado "house sound" we know now has existed relatively unchanged in most of their headphones through the 2000's. The only really major switch-up was the addition of the XX-1000 models, which are definitely a different kind of thing.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,595 of 65,550

Quote:

It's an interesting divide I'm keen to conquer to too - the Joe and John Grado divide - if you ever see a pair of these show up at your local garage sale
 then may I suggest you pick them up post haste! 
biggrin.gif

They still have a legendary reputation for a neutral and clear representation - Joe Grado senior still has quite a following from what I understand in
 both the audiophile and pro audio circle. Not surprising when you consider that ol' Joe Grado is considered by many of his elder and younger peers
 as a shining light of genius in his trade - find out more about the man here :-

http://joegradosig.com/hifihistory.html

Acclaimed audio engineer and producer, Bob Ludwig, still calls these his 'go to' headphone for getting the
 best out of his daily masterings - if you can get them in this condition, they make PS1000's look cheap!

*Edit*

From Bob to Joe

"Quoting Bob Ludwig, he says;
“Hi Joe

I recently borrowed the new top of the line Denon headphones and the new $1,300 Sennheiser 800 headphone. After extensive listening, your stock Signature HP1000
headphones after 25 years of constant use and with no maintenance of any kind still wins by a large margin. My opinion.

I’m still in awe of the upgrading job you did for me. The vast sound improvement must be heard to be believed. I’ll always be grateful, thank you.”
Bob Ludwig is by far the most respected and sought after audio post processor in the world.today. His works are legendary in the industry.

From Wiki :-

His mastering credits are extensive, and include albums for many major classical artists, such as the Kronos Quartet, and rock acts, including Jimi Hendrix
 MegadethMetallicaGloria Estefan,NirvanaThe StrokesQueenU2Guns N' RosesRichie SamboraToolSimple MindsBryan FerryTori AmosBonnie Raitt
 Paul McCartneyBruce Springsteen, the Bee GeesMadonna,SupertrampWill AckermanPet Shop Boys and Radiohead.
He has occasionally undertaken long projects, such as remastering the entire back catalogues of RushDire StraitsCreedence Clearwater Revival and the Rolling Stones,[5] 

Ludwig cites his most musically satisfying projects as: the CD reissue of Music From Big Pink (The Band), There's a Riot Goin' On (Sly and the Family Stone), Led Zeppelin II,

Painted from Memory (Bacharach &Costello), Spirit (Jewel), Loreena McKennittAncient Voices of Children (George Crumb) (Augie Alexander.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back