Grado Fan Club!
May 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #24,916 of 65,560
gefski, what's your tube combo for the WA6 sir? I use the "Mighty" 596 rectifier with S/E 6SN7 drivers most of the time. For more midrange the Brimar rec is pretty awesome too.

For the HD 650, the Brimar + 6fd7 gives lots of life & sparkle.

For the RS1i, a pair of 7n7 is a graceful & relaxed presentation, yet with gobs of detail and terrific touch & texture. Surprisingly, I prefer a SED Winged C blackplate rectifier (1950s about $50) with these, having also tried Brimar, Mullard, & Princess.

Haven't sold enough stocks to acquire a 596. :D

May 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #24,917 of 65,560
For the HD 650, the Brimar + 6fd7 gives lots of life & sparkle.

For the RS1i, a pair of 7n7 is a graceful & relaxed presentation, yet with gobs of detail and terrific touch & texture. Surprisingly, I prefer a SED Winged C blackplate rectifier (1950s about $50) with these, having also tried Brimar, Mullard, & Princess.

Haven't sold enough stocks to acquire a 596. :D
Thanks gefski, I'll look for the SED Winged C backplate rec. If you find a 596 in good condition jump on it.

May 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #24,918 of 65,560
A few glasses of Amber and some Robben Ford at home happy hour before going to the lake tomorrow for a couple weeks. I'll be "suffering" at the lake with just my flac & wav files, dragonfly, and "old" SR60s.

Actually, though I'm far from wealthy, this whole situation makes me feel "rich"; family, friends, dogs, fun hobbies including the joy of music. Reading this thread for a few years shows lots of (emotionally) "rich" enthusiasts.

Well you had me going up until that far from wealthy comment.

May 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #24,919 of 65,560
Thanks gefski, I'll look for the SED Winged C backplate rec. If you find a 596 in good condition jump on it.

The Tubestore (in Canada) had them for $50; greyplates much cheaper.

May 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #24,920 of 65,560
Well you had me going up until that far from wealthy comment.

Fortunately, I've accumulated enough hi-fi over the years so I can sell and buy. I'm running out of stuff though, so I guess next it's sell furniture, lawnmower, etc. Eventually I'll have a great headfi rig, a desk for it, and a chair.

May 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #24,921 of 65,560
OK, the Little Dot Mk.III just arrived, I'll be darned cold, right out of the box it sounds really good on the PS1k's!!!! Maybe my lust for a WA 6 or Mad Ear + will be waited for a while, at least Mrs. Wildcatsare1 hopes so 
bigsmile_face.gif
!!!!! 

PS: @jaywillin great call, thanks this is a great little amp! It has Telefunkens fore and Soviteks aft, any tube recommendations? 

May 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #24,922 of 65,560
Congrats on your new amp.

May 21, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #24,923 of 65,560
Was afraid it wouldn't have enough steam to drive the PS1k's and I can't get past 10:00! Oh, full glorious tube magic, I have missed you:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Thanks Whirlwind, your holding my place in line still, aren't you:wink:?

May 21, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #24,924 of 65,560
Was afraid it wouldn't have enough steam to drive the PS1k's and I can't get past 10:00! Oh, full glorious tube magic, I have missed you:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Yeah, I agree....just something about the tube sound that makes me happy also.

Yep...holding your place in line 
smile.gif

May 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #24,925 of 65,560

''Enough steam to drive the PS1k'', I used to drive mine right out of my little canary's arse. I admit that in the beginning he was making weird sounds of his own, but once I started using the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter he shut right up.
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, when I bought my BSG mint tin amp, I figured it'd be good enough to drive my SR80e, and maybe my Bushmills. Well !, this thing sounded so awesome, that next thing I knew, I had my PS1k, and HP1k, hooked up to it.

I pride myself on telling it like I hear it, and my BSG sounds as good, if not better than my Little Dot MK2 (Voskhod tubes), my Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, and eeasily sounds as good as my Grado HPA-2.

Granted that my amps are not what some would consider, high end, but still, it's a damn mint tin, and it's dirt cheap. I find this kind of products much more impressive than an amp that sounds a little bit better, but costs over $1000. Same goes for the SR80e.

Well done Mr.Biosciencegeek.

May 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #24,927 of 65,560
Well done Mr.Biosciencegeek.

LOL, now do you speak to your Chemist that way?!?!? Geek yes, wizard of chemical concoctions, errrr....maybe:pill::syringe:, depends on how much you carrying Bro...

May 21, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #24,928 of 65,560
  OK, the Little Dot Mk.III just arrived, I'll be darned cold, right out of the box it sounds really good on the PS1k's!!!! Maybe my lust for a WA 6 or Mad Ear + will be waited for a while, at least Mrs. Wildcatsare1 hopes so 
bigsmile_face.gif
!!!!! 

PS: @jaywillin great call, thanks this is a great little amp! It has Telefunkens fore and Soviteks aft, any tube recommendations? 

what you want, are 6sn7's as power tubes, you'll need adapters
as for drivers, many are good, and all have a different flavor, voshkods , and yugoslovian 6hm5's were probably my favs
don't forget, gain is adjustable too !

May 22, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #24,929 of 65,560
hi folks

i have a question about vintage grados
i've been collecting sr60 pinks for some diy projects
wood cups etc..
i've been able to pick them up off ebay for 50-60 bucks
there is a pair of sr200's on ebay with a bid of 400 bucks (reserve not met)

my question is what is this stuff worth? 
what is a good price to pay for this stuff?

thanks for the helpp

May 22, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #24,930 of 65,560
  hi folks

i have a question about vintage grados
i've been collecting sr60 pinks for some diy projects
wood cups etc..
i've been able to pick them up off ebay for 50-60 bucks
there is a pair of sr200's on ebay with a bid of 400 bucks (reserve not met)

my question is what is this stuff worth? 
what is a good price to pay for this stuff?

thanks for the helpp

no telling on this stuff, really. it just depends on:

A- how much the seller is wanting to get out of them (reserve price)
B- how much is it worth to the buyer, how high the person is willing to go at a given time

this stuff is getting harder to come by and haven't been popping up much at all this year so far.

with all that said, IIRC the ones I've seen sold over the last couple years have gone from the mid $400's to around $650ish. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back