Grado Fan Club!
Mar 10, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #23,656 of 65,938

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the successful bid on a rare pair of Grado Bushmill headphones (only 125 made, according to Turntable Lab, who had the one-and-only concession to sell these when they came out in 2012).  These are TRULY my last headphone purchase...  my collection is REALLY complete (it WAS complete until joseph69 pointed out this opportunity!)   I wanted to buy a pair here and offered the asking price, but the seller decided he wanted to keep them after all.  I can see why!

These are perhaps the ONLY Grado headphones that pay attention to presentation... no pizza box here, but a wooden box AND a velvet pouch:

Of course, it is the headphones themselves that are most important... semi-closed (the only such Grados), with sound described as "live mids but not super forward... great soundstage unexpected from a Grado."

Now as I await their arrival over the next few days from the seller, I of COURSE must prepare to welcome them with a proper headphone stand.  I shall go shopping for this:

So a week from today, this is what I expect to have:

Ahhh... all is WELL! (wonder if the wood still smells of Bushmills?  Well, if it doesn't, it WILL! or at least *I* will!)

Congrats  
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #23,659 of 65,938
One thing's got me puzzled, why does the GS1000i have such great bass? I mean, I do have the HD800, HD700 and HE400i (amongst others), I find the bass on the GS1000i to be pretty unique, nice deep thump, great bass extension. Oh, the DT990/600 and LCD2.2 might have it beat in terms of quality, but there's something that I can't quite describe about the bass on the GS1000i that I find is more.....enjoyable than on the others. Bah, I really have to work on my audio vocab....
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #23,660 of 65,938
  One thing's got me puzzled, why does the GS1000i have such great bass? I mean, I do have the HD800, HD700 and HE400i (amongst others), I find the bass on the GS1000i to be pretty unique, nice deep thump, great bass extension. Oh, the DT990/600 and LCD2.2 might have it beat in terms of quality, but there's something that I can't quite describe about the bass on the GS1000i that I find is more.....enjoyable than on the others. Bah, I really have to work on my audio vocab....
redface.gif

i think its speed, attack, definition 

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #23,661 of 65,938
  One thing's got me puzzled, why does the GS1000i have such great bass? I mean, I do have the HD800, HD700 and HE400i (amongst others), I find the bass on the GS1000i to be pretty unique, nice deep thump, great bass extension. Oh, the DT990/600 and LCD2.2 might have it beat in terms of quantity, but there's something that I can't quite describe about the bass on the GS1000i that I find is more.....enjoyable than on the others. Bah, I really have to work on my audio vocab....
redface.gif

Damn, I'd meant to say 'quantity'....now corrected in bold.

i think its speed, attack, definition 

Possibly......I gotta look up what those mean to say for sure.....see? I gotta work on my audio vocab.
redface.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #23,662 of 65,938
  One thing's got me puzzled, why does the GS1000i have such great bass? I mean, I do have the HD800, HD700 and HE400i (amongst others), I find the bass on the GS1000i to be pretty unique, nice deep thump, great bass extension. Oh, the DT990/600 and LCD2.2 might have it beat in terms of quaNtity, but there's something that I can't quite describe about the bass on the GS1000i that I find is more.....enjoyable than on the others. Bah, I really have to work on my audio vocab....
redface.gif

the way you feel about bass, is the way i feel about female vocals in Grados. Not just because of my s325e new toy syndromes. Even as far back as my old sr60 and the sr80e, there's just something on how Grados portrays female vocals for me that's just made me "damn dem feels!".

Granted i don't own a hd800 and a T1, (and provided that i have enough disposable income), i will heavily considers getting either a hd800 and a T1, to complements another high-end Grado. But if i can only afford one, as good as hd800 is, i'd choose a high-end Grado instead. This is on the basis of auditioning hd800 and T1 on a proper setup.

On a lower comparison level, i currently own sr325e and he-400i. If i could afford to keep both, i definitely will keep both as the two is very different. But since I can only afford to own one set of headphone with my current situation, I'm keeping my sr325e and selling the he-400i. I'm thinking towards saving up to try out rs2e after that, do some comparison with sr325e, and then keep one of them.

In the meantime i'm offloading my other headphone also, the dt880. So yeah... i completely understand what you're going through mikey!
While technically he-400i and dt880 should be better than a sr60 or sr80e... on female vocals, i still like my Grados overwhelmingly so than the rest.
Only my sony ma-900 comes close, and i'm keeping that to be my TV headphones.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #23,663 of 65,938
  Damn, I'd meant to say 'quantity'....now corrected in bold.

Possibly......I gotta look up what those mean to say for sure.....see? I gotta work on my audio vocab.
redface.gif

well, you kinda hit on it, the quantity is more how far down, how deep the bass goes, where speed is just that, the bass is faster, detail,  you're able to hear individual bass notes better.
the music just seems to have more rhythm , that's just how i explain it, hope that helps

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #23,664 of 65,938

How did the 325e compare to the RS2e?

That’s a good question!  The 325’s are great headphones, unfortunately I haven’t listened to the 325’s again since I’ve had my RS2e’s...  From memory, the RS2e’s have more detail due to more space between the instruments - smoother balance overall - the 2e's bass tightened up a bit too.  They sound more natural to me...  

I’ll try and sneak in a listen to the 325’s - there are a couple of nearby stores that have them - it’s a natural comparison to make, as they are next to each other in the product line-up...

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #23,667 of 65,938
This is true also…reactions seem to be all over the place with Grado.
I'm sure glad I own/love the Grados I have!  :o2smile:
I couldn't agree more with you joseph. I built my hp rig around my RS1i's so as to maximise their particular sound signature. Everybody does it differently, because there's no right way when it comes to personal preference.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #23,668 of 65,938
Thanks guys, for the explanation about the great bass that the GS1000i has, makes sense after reading some of your thoughts or takes on it. I'm still chilling with my Grado with my Geek Pulse Standard, so loving the soundstage, transparent sound, and sweet vocals.....and let's not forget the awesome bass,
gs1000.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #23,669 of 65,938
I couldn't agree more with you joseph. I built my hp rig around my RS1i's so as to maximise their particular sound signature. Everybody does it differently, because there's no right way when it comes to personal preference.

That's what's great about Grado!
You can get more than a few grados and will still derive "basic satisfaction" from all of them.
Even when there are refinements and variations in sounds from one model to the next, "the essence" remains the same. And that's how there are quite a number of people owning 3 to 5 cans of grados, or even a lot more cans.

Even for people like me who is currently on a instant-noodle-diet, while i like my sr325e, it doesn't at all diminish the value of my old sr60, or, if i could actually afford a ps500e (which i've heard), it's completely legit to keep all three, or four with the rs2e, or 5, with sr80e that i also own.

Grado headphones sounds different, but has that "sameness" which, if you happen to like them, then you like them.

Not many brands can be said to have that unique appeal.
I've heard dt770 dt880 dt990 t70 t90 and t1, and i've also heard hd558 hd598 hd600 hd650 and hd700,
and while i'm sure there are people who owns multiple models from the same company, that's likely not because they sounds different, yet retains the same essence so it's equally satisying.

I mean, i can't really say t70 and t90 has any "sameness" so to speak, and so does dt880 and dt990. I prefer dt880 far more than dt990, and in opposite to the majority, i prefer t70 much more than t90. The same way i feel about hd600 and hd650... Originally, the only headphone i considered to compensate for my ear condition was the hd650. Yet even after long-hours audition, i still couldn't bring myself to pay for the hd650, and ended up getting the he-400i instead. (The fact that hd650 cost $600 here doesn't help with that decision either). OTOH, one song in with the hd600, i already prefer them to the hd650 and my brain doesn't actually adjust to hd650 even after long audition hours. (Though admittedly hd600 and hd650 has that "sameness" in rendering great midrange).

And that's how you get people keeping their sr80/sr225 even when they own an rs1.
I hardly think people that owns a hd800 are keeping their hd558 and can still derive that "basic satisfaction" for keeping both.

I don't know, maybe i'm wrong, but to me, i'm guessing the decision to just pick to keep one, say, rs2e and sr325e for example, will be far,far, harder than my previous experience when deciding which to choose between dt880 to 990 or hd600 to 650, or shure 940 to shure 1540.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #23,670 of 65,938
  Thanks guys, for the explanation about the great bass that the GS1000i has, makes sense after reading some of your thoughts or takes on it. I'm still chilling with my Grado with my Geek Pulse Standard, so loving the soundstage, transparent sound, and sweet vocals.....and let's not forget the awesome bass,
gs1000.gif

i love my rs1i with my pulse x/f/i, SUPERB 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back