Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #21,391 of 66,264
  If your a (HOT WOMEN) then I'l buy something from you…if not ,forget it! 
biggrin.gif

Things can be arranged lol

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #21,392 of 66,264
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #21,393 of 66,264
  Things can be arranged lol

Wasn't Chaska where the Hooker's were from in Fargo? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

O2OAssasin, the drivers and cable are the same on the 225 and 325? OK, I need to think about the direction I am going to go. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #21,394 of 66,264
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #21,395 of 66,264
   Still, I'd rather liberate the drivers from the 225 than from the more expensive 325, if I'm going to place them in wooden cups, know what I mean?
You're making me doubt myself... Regardless, the 325 is a good bit heavier than the 225, but has the same drivers and cable. The 125 is lighter still and, if the weight comparison above is correct, weighs the same as the 80 but has better sound.

Personally, I would never put wooden cups on the 325's, I'd just buy the 225's or the 80's in that case. As far as the 325/225 having the same cables/drivers…I'm not sure about the (e) series, but the (i) series have a different cable and the drivers frequency response is different (as far as I remember) so I would check the spec differences between the 2 on the (e) series, unless your positive about this.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #21,396 of 66,264

Still, I'd rather liberate the drivers from the 225 than from the more expensive 325, if I'm going to place them in wooden cups, know what I mean?
You're making me doubt myself... Regardless, the 325 is a good bit heavier than the 225, but has the same drivers and cable. The 125 is lighter still and, if the weight comparison above is correct, weighs the same as the 80 but has better sound.

Personally, I would never put wooden cups on the 325's, I'd just buy the 225's or the 80's in that case. As far as the 325/225 having the same cables/drivers…I'm not sure about the (e) series, but the (i) series have a different cable and the drivers frequency response is different (as far as I remember) so I would check the spec differences between the 2 on the (e) series, unless your positive about this.

My 325is are much lighter with the cocobolo cups.  My wallet is much lighter as well.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #21,397 of 66,264

stacker45, thanks for identifying a specific comparison test... I had a great time comparing my HP1000 and PS1000.

I used just one song from Eric Clapton's Unplugged , which was "Before You Accuse Me," which I also understand is used by Grado as one of three songs they test their headphones with.  My recording is a lossless CD, as I don't have the record in vinyl or reel-to-reel tape (though I do have both types of players).  It was played at 44,100 16-bit samples/sec (standard CD, but sold by HDTracks as part of their catalog which includes a lot of high resolution recordings, up to 192,000 24-bit samples/sec!  This, however, was the best they had of this song). 

By the way, AAC is "Advanced Audio Coding," which uses a variable bit rate of 256,000 bits/sec.  It is what standard iTunes uses.  Hence, we can compare the coding method bit rates as:

1. Apple iTunes AAC - 256kb/sec - requires removal of bits of information from an original CD copy to get to this low bit rate
  2. Lossless CD - 1,411 kb/sec, or 5.5 times higher bit rate than AAC
  3. High Definition - 9,216 kb/sec, or 36 times higher bit rate than AAC
  4. Analog (what you have) - true analog has an infinite number of levels and would really require an infinite number of kb/sec to describe

Somewhere along the line, human perception becomes unable to distinguish among various bit rates, so going higher makes no difference.

So I have listened back and forth between both headphones, both driven by my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp which is driven by my FiiO X3 running that song from Eric Clapton Unplugged at full CD resolution, for the past hour or so.

What I found:

1. There is clearly a difference between the HP1000 HP1 and the PS1000;
  2. In the bass, the HP1000 HP1 is clear and precise, as it is through all frequencies.  The PS1000 is boomier in the bass, which to me makes it a bit harder to determine the pitch of a bass line (sort of like an echo in a barrel... I by no means intend this as a negative, but it does seem to make adjacent low notes sound more similar in pitch). As a result, the PS1000 sounds more bassy;
  3. In the treble, the HP1000 is very slightly muted or veiled, as if playing through speakers with the cloth in front of them.  The PS1000 is more transparent, as if the speaker cloth was removed.  Hence, the PS1000 gives you more of the feeling that you are in the room with the musicians;
  4. In the mids, for example for the singing, the two to me sound the same;
  5. As regard to sound stage, the PS1000s sound as if they have just a bit more... music comes from a wider angle around you.

I, like you, have the TTVJ flats on my HP1000, and I have the standard Grado G-CUSH over-ear bowls on my PS1000, just as they are sold.

I think we are finding the same thing, if what you mean as "treble extension" is the same as what I call "transparency" or "lack of a cloth veil."  It's my own ignorance that I do not really know what "treble extension" means nor what to listen for to determine it.  I did NOT really read your comparison of the two before making my own comparison... once I saw that we both had essentially the same amp and source material, I immediately started to compare.  To now find that we are hearing the same differences is encouraging!

I would add that the comfort factor of the over-ear pads of the PS1000 is significantly greater than the on-ear HP1000.  I am not one to change pads from what was designed by Grado, so I would no more put G-CUSH pad on the HP1000, even to gain comfort, as I would put the TTVJ flats on the PS1000s.

While I enjoy listening with the PS1000 more than with the HP1000, I don't really think the HP1000 is overrated.  In its day (1990), it was a $595 headphone (that is for the HP1 that I have, with the polarity switches... the HP2 was $495).  With inflation from 1990, that makes it about a $990 headphone today, less than today's $1,695 price on the PS1000 (of course, because of the age, classic nature, and status as the start of the Grado line, you will pay 2 to 4 times that $1,000 now to get one!!! That's OK!)

I think that the HP1000 is the brutally honest friend that tells me I am too fat (so I believe when that friend says I am intelligent).  The PS1000 is the much more pleasant friend that dotes on everything I do and praises my manly physique!!  Again, I prefer the PS1000 (dessert), but I appreciate and need the HP1000 (vegetables!).

Or, graphically....

Great post sir. Thanks for explaining the differences of the different digital formats. Ironically my favorite version of E.C. Unplugged, is a copy I have maid from the CD, to a Quantegy 456 Grand Master tape, at 7 and a half I.P.S. I find that the tape, retains every detail, while sounding a bit smoother, and it does not have the occasional clicks and pops of LPs.

Regarding the PS1000 vs HP1000,  I couldn't have said it better myself. When I bought my HP1000, they were fitted with the L-cush, and since I wasn"t familiar with them, I thought that they were the right pads for them. It"s only when I got home, and did some research, that I found out about that they were designed to have flats. With the L-cush, I find that the HP1000, do however sound much more detailed, (less veild), and have a slightly bigger soundstage, sadly, they also lose some bass extension.

Oh!, and I like te pictrue imaging the difference between the PS and HP1000.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #21,398 of 66,264
  O2OAssasin, the drivers and cable are the same on the 225 and 325? OK, I need to think about the direction I am going to go. 

There is some dissent about this now, but I've read that the drivers were supposedly the same, some tweaking aside. Even if the sound quality of the 325 is a smidgen better, the weight still makes it much less suitable for bopping around the house than the 225.

My 325is are much lighter with the cocobolo cups.  My wallet is much lighter as well.

Gorgeous cans. Are those Martin customs? One-sided cable, metal gimbals, thick headband?

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #21,399 of 66,264

Best looking 325's ever  
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #21,400 of 66,264

Well, there's no denying those are absolutely gorgeous HP's, but being he dosn't already own either, I would buy the less expensive model if I were going to do this. I would feel safe in thinking you had them stock for a while before deciding to mod them to this extent, no? I don't think you originally bought them new to mod them to this extent, unless you bought them used?

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #21,402 of 66,264

Thanks all.  Martin did the cups, gimbals and cable (2 sided), headband is JMoney when he did that sort of thing.  Love the cans then blinged 'em up.  Why not?
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #21,403 of 66,264
They are beautiful, how did the rewiring and cupping impact the SQ?

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #21,404 of 66,264

I'm in Japan for New Years. Walking around hip Daikanyama (Tokyo) and dropped into APC Surplus store and saw this display prop. Grados selling fashion....the Japanese know what's cool!

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #21,405 of 66,264
  They are beautiful, how did the rewiring and cupping impact the SQ?

Thanks.  That wasn't my purpose.  I wanted beauty and I got it.  I got 15' of re-wiring, which is what I wanted, and I got beautiful cups.  They still sound as good or better than they ever did.  I'm a leveler, not a sharpener. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back