Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #21,376 of 66,264
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #21,377 of 66,264
I fell in love with the ps1000e but they werent comfortable for me and they were slipping from my head. Should i still buy them and mod them? IS there another similiar sounding cans with better comfort?

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #21,378 of 66,264
  I have the 325 and the 60. If you're wearing them while moving around the house, I suggest you consider the weight difference between the 225e (plastic cups) and the 325e (aluminium cups). The 325e are quite a bit heavier than the 225e. In fact, the metal cup Grados are heavier than both the plastic and the wooden cupped (Reference Series) Grados.

If you get the 225e you still have the balanced drivers and thick cable of the 325, but none of its weight. You'll get the L-cushions 'bowls', which hold the headphone better against your head than the S-cushion 'comfies'. They're the same size as the 60, so you can easily take them along to wherever you go. The 325 has a better headband (leather, instead of vinyl), but there are aftermarket leather headbands for sale that are better than the Grado leather band.

i took this from grado canada product comparison

Grado 325e                  Grado 225e                 grado 125e                   grado 80e

about the weight. the 225e is considerably heavier than the 80e and the 60e.
When the e came out, i auditioned the 225e and 80e, it's heavier.

i dont know about the i series because i only have the 60i and never tried the others (well, 325i,,,), but on the E, the 225e is heavier than the 60e and 80e.
i tried 60e, had it for couple days, and then get 80e. at the same time tried 225e at the store...

your advice is still accurate, it's just 225e has more weight than the 125e down, but less weight than the 325e...

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #21,379 of 66,264
OK, Grado Noob question, pardon me. Do you put the wooden Cups over the existing Cups, or do you replace the metal/plastic with new woodies? The later sounds like it would be quite difficult. How does adding wood impact the sonics? While I am still a Noob, what pads do you guys use with the 325/225, the ones it comes with, TTVJ's Flats, Sennies....? Thanks again for your advice, it is appreciated!

Happy New Year!!!!

You take the drivers from the plastic cup and place them in a wooden cup similar to the wooden cups of the Reference Series.
Not that difficult: the plastic casings are 'hot-glued' together, so warming the glue with a hair dryer is enough to pull the cups apart with your hands.
Wood adds a warmer, often more detailed sound than the plastics. People also woody the 325, but I think that's a waste, as the main difference between the 225 and the 325 is the fact that the latter have metal cups and a leather headband. Drivers and cable are the same. Which is why I said that it's psychologically easier to replace plastic cups with wooden cups, than replacing metal cups with wooden cups.

I change the earpads around. I have TTVJ flats and G-cushions coming (that I want to try on the 325iS after modding them with distancers), I use quartermodded Senn414 pads with the 60. The SennJazzGrado has Grado L-Cushions until I get the EarZonk G-cushions in January. A lot relies on preference. Most people do quartermod their Senn414 and Grado S-cushions.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #21,380 of 66,264

Grado 325e                  Grado 225e                 grado 125e                   grado 80e

about the weight. the 225e is considerably heavier than the 80e and the 60e.
When the e came out, i auditioned the 225e and 80e, it's heavier.

i dont know about the i series because i only have the 60i and never tried the others (well, 325i,,,), but on the E, the 225e is heavier than the 60e and 80e.
i tried 60e, had it for couple days, and then get 80e. at the same time tried 225e at the store..

The extra weight is the thicker cable of the 225, which is the same cable as the 325. The 125 has the same cable as the 60/80.

Minus cable, the 60/80/125/225 all weigh the same.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #21,381 of 66,264
You take the drivers from the plastic cup and place them in a wooden cup similar to the wooden cups of the Reference Series.
Not that difficult: the plastic casings are 'hot-glued' together, so warming the glue with a hair dryer is enough to pull the cups apart with your hands.
Wood adds a warmer, often more detailed sound than the plastics. People also woody the 325, but I think that's a waste, as the main difference between the 225 and the 325 is the fact that the latter have metal cups and a leather headband. Drivers and cable are the same. Which is why I said that it's psychologically easier to replace plastic cups with wooden cups, than replacing metal cups with wooden cups.

I change the earpads around. I have TTVJ flats and G-cushions coming (that I want to try on the 325iS after modding them with distancers), I use quartermodded Senn414 pads with the 60. The SennJazzGrado has Grado L-Cushions until I get the EarZonk G-cushions in January. A lot relies on preference. Most people do quartermod their Senn414 and Grado S-cushions.

Tried the G-Cushions on the SR325is and I think the drivers are too near my ears, making the sound too harsh. How do you mod the "distancers"?

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #21,382 of 66,264

The extra weight is the thicker cable of the 225, which is the same cable as the 325. The 125 has the same cable as the 60/80.

Minus cable, the 60/80/125/225 all weigh the same.

I'm pretty sure the 125e has the same cable as the 325e / 225e ... the 125i certainly has the thicker cable.

Don't forget the 225e has metal grilles on the earcups, which makes them heavier (although I'd be surprised if it made 55g difference ...)

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #21,383 of 66,264
Bro discount and sexual favors... I need this stuff gone... Takes up space I need for more new stuff.

If your a (HOT WOMEN) then I'l buy something from you…if not ,forget it! 
biggrin.gif

Depends on which wooden cups he is talking about. With the Vibro wooden cups, the driver need to also be liberated, so the plastic around the driver once separated from the cup has to be removed also to fit in the Vibro wooden cups. If he went with Martin Custom Audio for example, he has a choice between full jacket (liberated) slip on cups (non-liberated) but in either case the cups/drivers have to be separated, which is no big deal..and for that matter, neither is liberating the drivers.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #21,384 of 66,264
didnt try the 125e so maybe others can comment on that. but 225e is certainly weightier than 80e. maybe the cable, maybe the metal grill...

also... does it look exactly the same?  i remember the 225e to be a bit bigger than the 80e when i tried it. as if the driver seems a bit heavier. though maybe it's memory bias, due to seeing one with l cushion and the other with s cush, and the weight.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #21,385 of 66,264
  didnt try the 125e so maybe others can comment on that. but 225e is certainly weightier than 80e. maybe the cable, maybe the metal grill...

also... does it look exactly the same?  i remember the 225e to be a bit bigger than the 80e when i tried it. as if the driver seems a bit heavier. though maybe it's memory bias, due to seeing one with l cushion and the other with s cush, and the weight.

I've just got a 225e myself, and it's exactly the same size as all the other Prestige-line Grado's I've owned (MS1i / 125i / 225i / 325i)

Edit to say the only physical difference I can see between the 225e and the 225i are the 'e' on the button, the red paint on the magnet plate and the two holes vented at the rear of the driver.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #21,386 of 66,264

I've just got a 225e myself, and it's exactly the same size as all the other Prestige-line Grado's I've owned (MS1i / 125i / 225i / 325i)

Edit to say the only physical difference I can see between the 225e and the 225i are the 'e' on the button, the red paint on the magnet plate and the two holes vented at the rear of the driver.

compare to 80e i mean...

i said that when i auditioned the 80e, i also tried the 225e, and in addition to it being weightier, the headphone looks slightly bigger.

that could also be chalked up to visual bias back then due to weight and l cush s cush, and memory bias today.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #21,389 of 66,264
Tried the G-Cushions on the SR325is and I think the drivers are too near my ears, making the sound too harsh. How do you mod the "distancers"?

The distancers are shallow wooden rings with felt inside. You glue them on the black plastic of the 325, providing distance from the drivers. The G-cushion attaches to the distancers. I got a pair from ApatN, another Dutchie who frequents these boards.

I'm pretty sure the 125e has the same cable as the 325e / 225e ... the 125i certainly has the thicker cable.

Don't forget the 225e has metal grilles on the earcups, which makes them heavier (although I'd be surprised if it made 55g difference ...)

Are you sure? I'll get a 125e in January, so I'll be able to compare them with the 60.
Depends on which wooden cups he is talking about. With the Vibro wooden cups, the driver need to also be liberated, so the plastic around the driver once separated from the cup has to be removed also to fit in the Vibro wooden cups. If he went with Martin Custom Audio for example, he has a choice between full jacket (liberated) slip on cups (non-liberated) but in either case the cups/drivers have to be separated, which is no big deal..and for that matter, neither is liberating the drivers.

I get my wooden cups from 7Keys. Yes, the drivers have to be liberated, but that's not a big deal. Still, I'd rather liberate the drivers from the 225 than from the more expensive 325, if I'm going to place them in wooden cups, know what I mean?

You're making me doubt myself... Regardless, the 325 is a good bit heavier than the 225, but has the same drivers and cable. The 125 is lighter still and, if the weight comparison above is correct, weighs the same as the 80 but has better sound.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #21,390 of 66,264

Are you sure? I'll get a 125e in January, so I'll be able to compare them with the 60.

I'm 100% sure the 125i had the thicker cable, as I've owned one
smile.gif

I've never seen a 125e in the flesh, but if you read Grado's website: http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/3-sr125e they refer to it having the "8-conductor cable", which is the thicker cable used in the 225e, rather than the thinner 4-conductor cable used in the 80e/60e

I've also just remembered that the 225i had an extra plastic ring inside the larger part of the earcup, which holds the metal grill in place. This is about 1.5mm thick and 10mm high, and (assuming the 225e has them also) might account for some of the extra weight over the 125e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back