Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Jul 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #226 of 290
right now i am using my RS-1 with quarter moded HD414 pads,with EF1 and mullard short plate tube. all this trying to get more bass out of them have helped a little, but i wouldn't mind for a little more so i think i would try this mod. just a little bit more bass and it's perfect.
Any final conclusions about what tape to use...? what kind is the best?

also,i hope that the sound won't get too muddy and lose all the beautiful highs of the grado. i will tell my impressions when i do it later today.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #227 of 290
edit: how strange, I'm sure there was a half-finished post above this just now (not plonter)... this makes my facetious comment irrelevant
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #229 of 290
I am listening at the moment with my basshead moded RS-1 and all i can say is
WOW!! to tell you the truth..i really believed in this mod because all the good comments on it, but never thought that it will be so strong.
my RS-1 sound like denon AH-D5000. it's a little muddy ofcourse...i guess you can't have it all! but i will enjoy it until i will get tired of it, but until than i am in bass land.

is there a way to reduce some of the bass? maybe put the tape on half of the pad or something...?
the EF1+mullard is too much for this..i need to go back to the SS ultra micro for this mod.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #230 of 290
again..WOW! this is just too much! I never thought that one day will come that i will want to REDUCE the bass in my RS1 , i tried so hard to increase it and the solution was 4 shekels electrical tape...GENIOUS!

anyone have advice on hoe to reduce the bass a little bit? jsut a little reduction and it will be perfect.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #231 of 290
got it! I simply cut the electrical tape for about 3/4 of the original Width and the bass stabilaized, now it's in the right amount and also the sounstage and sibilance returned to the sound. the bass now is super tight... it is machbass 2 and not 3!
and the best part is that the details and the great grado treble extension doesn't have to be sacrifised. it's perfect!

for everybody who tried this and gave it up cause the sound was too muffled, please..please..try this 3/4 tape mode and you won't be sorry.
and if it still too bassy there is always the option of cutting the electrical tape to have of it's Width for even more natural bass, but i like it as it is right now.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #233 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just stumbled upon this thread and tried it out. Thread of the century!!! I love my RS-1's but I always felt they were a little lacking in the bass department. Wow!
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

HI andy! you don't know how much time i am looking for this. i have just got the perfect grado sound, the sound that i always dreamed of when i started in the HI-FI hobby.
when i first put the black electrical tape on the bowls the bass was too overwhelming..so i cut the Width of the tape to 3/4 of its original size and it tightened the bass and all the sibilance and lost soundstage got back.
i am getting eargasems like i got the first time i got the ultra micro amp. it was 8 monthes ago! but it finally paid through.
what are your impressions so far..?

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #234 of 290
I feel the same way plonter. I just tried the standard with a couple rounds of scotch tape. The bass seems just right to me. I don't have much to comment yet on the effects other than the added bass. I've been pulling out all my metal CD's that the last time I heard them with the RS-1's I thought "hmmm not quite there in the bass department." Only this time around it's been "aaaahhhhhh that's what I'm talking about."

I don't know if it's the type of tape I used, the amount I used, or the CD's I've auditioned so far but the bass isn't flabby at all, just a lot more there. I'm definitely going to be tweaking and playing with this.

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #235 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same way plonter. I just tried the standard with a couple rounds of scotch tape. The bass seems just right to me. I don't have much to comment yet on the effects other than the added bass. I've been pulling out all my metal CD's that the last time I heard them with the RS-1's I thought "hmmm not quite there in the bass department." Only this time around it's been "aaaahhhhhh that's what I'm talking about."

I don't know if it's the type of tape I used, the amount I used, or the CD's I've auditioned so far but the bass isn't flabby at all, just a lot more there. I'm definitely going to be tweaking and playing with this.

enjoy man! i am too, and thanks for the publishers and inventor of this mod.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #237 of 290
i have just tried this mod with grado rs1. i wanna cry now. what a great difference . i don't care about bass. there is no sibilance and shrillness with the mod. And its still great grado sound

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #238 of 290
So yeah. I've known about this mod for awhile, but hadn't tried it. Tried this with my SR-60i's tonight using SR-80 bowl pads and gotta say I'm pretty impressed. I even swapped the original flat pads on during a fairly bass heavy song to make sure I wasn't hearing things, and turns out I'm not. Very nice cheap mod.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #239 of 290
Does anyone here use this mod on a daily basis? is it worth doing and keeping? or is it just to kinda play around? What are the pro's/con's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back