Originally Posted by cakeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best way to make this permanent?

Use duct tape?

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #203 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use duct tape?

Meant good looking permanent.
Anyone try some sort of glue to clog the foam?

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #204 of 290
Hi everyone, i'm new to this site so please bear with me if i'm repeating anything...

Anyways I've experimented with my Sr80's and found that black silicone was the best looking , permanent mod for my bowl pads. The tape in my opinion sounded the best if you're looking for bass but the silicone looked much more professional and was very similar to the tape. What I did was used masking tape to cover the outer and inner foam areas on the pad (the harder material) and left the middle exposed. Then I coated the exposed foam with silicone in thin layers evenly with your forefinger. I left the bowls overnight and peeled the masking tape off in the morning. This left the bowls with a professional look. I didn't coat the outer and inner parts of the bowl because the foam is more condensed so sound should travel through them as easily. I'm assuming if I put a second coat of silicone it would strengthen the bass but I'm happy with one coat (just like how 2 layers of tape sound stronger than 1). I'll post pics once I figure out how to........ I hope that helps with any decisions to perform this mod. Everyone who sees the mod can't even tell I did anything after market to them which I like. I travel a lot so I didn't like the tape look.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #209 of 290
Thanks for the comments. The "factory" look was what I was looking for. They do feel different after the mod.... a bit of bass upgrade. I was thinking of putting a second coat but can't go back if it's too much. I'm super happy with the mod. They smelled like chemicals the first couple days after the mod but it went away. The silicone is also very flexible and hasn't peeled off or cracked.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #210 of 290
I tried this and while it did improve bass IMPACT, it did nothing for bass resolution or quality. I'm not a basshead, so I leave mine stock with stock bowls.

Figure, I know less than the designers of the cans, so who am I to try and better their design?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back