Grado BASSHEAD Mod....
Mar 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #211 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Figure, I know less than the designers of the cans, so who am I to try and better their design?
biggrin.gif

This is a good question to ask on many of the proposed mods here... but.. if its a relatively cheap mod (and most importantly, UNDOABLE) then there's no harm in trying to seeing if the new sound is perhaps a bit more pleasing to your particular ear.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #212 of 290
Similar to Sunseeker, I tried several types of tape, several layers, etc, and found that on my SR80, it might have increased the bass some, but it condensed the soundstage even more, pressing things together. In all cases, I prefered the stock (washed + conditioned several times) bowls uncovered -- I might try taping just half the edge and rotating the bowls to see if there's a optimum location.

A different mod that might be interesting is messing with the airspace outside the grills. You can really thin things out (not good) by gently placing your hands over the grill, but if you move your hands around just an inch or so from the grills, you can get some interesting (and some better) results. I'm interested in experimenting this weekend with a very soft cloth cloth over/around the grills. I know some people have removed the button, and I might try that as well -- if I can get it back on in case I decide to sell them later.

May 11, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #213 of 290
Just gave it a try with Scotch Duct Tape. I completely taped the outside bowls with some duct tape (1" or so, all the way around) on both sides and I can't really comment on the bass impact. I will say though that I like the less airy sound. The bass that did exist resonates more and gives my SR-225i a more "full" sound - where previously I always felt that the SR-225i sound was a little thin for my liking. I never figured that when someone said "punchy bass" (which is commonly used to describe Grado's) - they actually meant "very little bass". The bass only appears when there's a bass drum or a good amount of bass - so it emphasizes on that while giving everything a very thin (but detailed) sound. I enjoy my half-assed tape mod at the moment and will be sure to experiment because it's certainly a noticeable improvement on the sound. I've read that this decreased soundstage, but as far as I could tell my SR225i had none to begin with.

How does this compare to flats/reversed bowls?

EDIT: After only a few minutes of extra listening, I've come to the conclusion that this is too muddy for me. I'd rather just get accustomed to the Grado sound. If John Grado would've thought that his headphones needed more bass, I'm sure he would've put pads that accommodate just that.

May 11, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #214 of 290
read through the whole thread. are there any other bass mods for the grado's, home brewed kind. but gonna give this a try. which one works best, clear tape or black electrical tape ?
whats the best way to apply. the pic on page 1 shows tape just on the top/sides. whereas a pic somewhere in the middle shows black tape extending to the back also.

May 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #215 of 290
i just tried this with some k701's. it works... but only in the ways that you would expect, more bass impact and extension but at a loss of definition in attack and creates mids resonance, reducing the air these cans provide. It certainly works for say... lady gaga and jay-z but it has also absolutely buried thelonious monk quartet with john coltrane.

Recommendation: You should definitely try it IF you think your k701's are bass shy and lack weight but NOT if you listen mostly to classical, jazz,

Disclosure: I have only listened to this for about 30 minutes and have yet to try different tape configurations

TapeMod.jpg

May 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #216 of 290
ok just tried with black electric tape. definately increases bass, but its become quite boomy now. also kind of rumbling in the background.
i'll try with clear tape now. but i don't like the sound too much now.

May 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #217 of 290
3M linerless Electrical Rubber tape #2242 works well. 30 Milli-inch (Mil) thick compared to 7 milli-inch of standard electrical tapes and 3/4" wide.

May 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #218 of 290
Just a question before i go for this mod. how much rolling do i have to do with the tape over the pads? i mean...roll it once,twice...?

do i also need to cover thet back of the pad (the part that closest to the wood cups) also?
Ah.... and one more question. would this work on the RS-1 too? i don't see many did it on the RS-1 .

May 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #219 of 290
Just do it once around. Just around the circumference, no need to tape the back, and I did it with the RS-1.

I tried to recreate the sound of flats with the comfort of bowls. It failed. It does get bassies, but also the highs get muddier. I much prefer flats.

May 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #220 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just do it once around. Just around the circumference, no need to tape the back, and I did it with the RS-1.

I tried to recreate the sound of flats with the comfort of bowls. It failed. It does get bassies, but also the highs get muddier. I much prefer flats.

thanks. i will experimant with this mod starting from tomorrow and when my hd414 pads will arrive i will try those (and even the flats) and decide what is best for me.
It sounds like in my setup this basshead mod will go well. because it has rather cold and analytical sound to it. that's why i wouldnt mind a little more bass to the RS-1. and the hilghs are so piercing(but in the good way) so i think that maybe reducing them by a little bit wouldn't be so horrible.

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #221 of 290
Tried it on a Grado SR225i with vinyl electrical tape. It works! It works! I was less than thrilled with these cans because they had less bass than a $20 Koss KSC75, but now the sound is rich and full. Mids and highs are still clear because of the expanded chamber, but I can see how people can remark about muddier sound on the lesser models. Thanks, Head-Fi!

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #222 of 290
any help here, I tried the tape and nothing sounded different on my HF-1s? Do I need thicker tape?

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #223 of 290
i tried it on my sr60 and it works, but seems to emphasize the mid-bass a bit much, making it very Bose-like (yuck). so i'm back to reversed bowls (no tape). uncomfortable as hell, but when it sounds this good???

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #224 of 290
Those of you who followed 'The Red Green Show' up here in the great white north would concur that the true Canadian mod would be to use
what Red Green (Steve Smith) calls "the handyman's secret weapon" and the "universal adapter" - DUCT TAPE! Can't help but wonder how Ricky, Julian and Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys would turn a profit from this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back